Plettenberg Advance bearing replacement

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Plettenberg Advance bearing replacement

Old 10-01-2015, 05:30 PM
AUS50518

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plettenberg Advance bearing replacement

Last week I had a midair and my Galaxy arrived back to earth from 400ft at a 75 degree angle....... fortunately spinning and with closed throttle.

My initial thought was that the Plettenberg would be, to use a technical term, stuffed. The PT prop broke at the hub and the CF spinner smashed and dirt encrusted the front of the aircraft. Removing the spinner backplate removed all the dirt and dismantling the motor showed it was clean. Maybe not stuffed.

My problem is the case and motor backplate sustained minor damage from behind.

The case damage stops the backplate being slid in squarely. It can be refitted easily without the rotor in place.

My question is:
Do I wiggle the backplate on with the rotor and risk damage to the new bearings or something else?
Or
Do I bodywork the dent out of the case and risk deforming it and subsequent misalignment?
Or
Do I grind the dent out sufficiently to allow the backplate to slide in squarely?

I haven't tested the rotor shaft yet but it "looks" unbent........

Thanks in advance for the advice..... (Over to you Chad?)

Regards
John B
AUSTRALIA
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	2123111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	2123112   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0073.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	2123113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	2123114  
Old 10-07-2015, 09:15 PM
VerneK

From the photos, it appears that the back plate took the brunt of it and should probably be replaced. I think F3A Unlimited stocks replacement back plates. It appears that the case only has one small dent that would definitely throw the back plate out of alignment. I think you could orient the case on a hard flat metal surface, dent down, and carefully hammer it out. That would allow the new back plate to fit properly and in alignment.
The other option would be to send it back to Plettenberg for repair.

Good Luck!
Verne Koester

Originally Posted by AUS50518 View Post
Last week I had a midair and my Galaxy arrived back to earth from 400ft at a 75 degree angle....... fortunately spinning and with closed throttle.

My initial thought was that the Plettenberg would be, to use a technical term, stuffed. The PT prop broke at the hub and the CF spinner smashed and dirt encrusted the front of the aircraft. Removing the spinner backplate removed all the dirt and dismantling the motor showed it was clean. Maybe not stuffed.

My problem is the case and motor backplate sustained minor damage from behind.

The case damage stops the backplate being slid in squarely. It can be refitted easily without the rotor in place.

My question is:
Do I wiggle the backplate on with the rotor and risk damage to the new bearings or something else?
Or
Do I bodywork the dent out of the case and risk deforming it and subsequent misalignment?
Or
Do I grind the dent out sufficiently to allow the backplate to slide in squarely?

I haven't tested the rotor shaft yet but it "looks" unbent........

Thanks in advance for the advice..... (Over to you Chad?)

Regards
John B
AUSTRALIA
Old 10-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Jason Arnold

Hi John,

Might be worth talking to David Macca about sending it back to Germany for repair?

Cheers,
Jason.