Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

futabaa servoes

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 04:18 AM
RuneG

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default futabaa servoes

Hi
what are the difrence on this 2 servoes exept the price??

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDNTA&P=3

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDNTD&P=3'

or more correct ...whats the i in the type stands for???? is it Worth the extra 50 $?
Old 02-25-2016, 05:04 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Rune,

The difference is that the SVi servo has a plug in input lead and there are several lengths available. Otherwise they are identical.

Malcolm
Old 02-25-2016, 11:42 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
This photo show the connector on Futaba SVi servos:
https://rcjapan.net/futaba-servo-rec...-servo-p-17394

Although the SVi (internal connector on side of the servo) can be practical for some installations and the servo lead can often be left in plane and servo that way is little easier to take out of its mounting place in the plane my personal reason for not choosing SVi is that SVi may be one source of possible "bad contact" and also possible chance the connector would somehow unmount itself (vibration etc) since it is this extra connection point on the servo. On the other hand it is convenient to be able to replace the servo lead easily if needed (break in lead, bad connector, change servolead lenght).

For my new F3A plane I assemble now I therefore selected Futaba "SV" servos for all control surfaces. In my case one BLS171SV for rudder, two BLS173SV for elevator, two BLS174SV for aileron (I also bought one spare servo each). I bought then from rcjapan, rather much saving compared to buy from any local Futaba delaer in my country (even with the VAT, customs and shipping added). Seems good price at Tower Hobbies also on the servos You linked to.

Also this time I will dare to use S.BUS2 for the servos and will have one single lead from a S.BUS hub near the receiver back to another S.BUS hub in the tail where I connect the rudder and two elevator S-BUS2 servos. Wíth my last F3A plane assembly two years ago I did not dare that single lead trick with S.BUS. This time I will try this, to save weight in the tail with just one lead instead of three leads. But still the argument exists that it will be greater risk of loosing both elevators and rudder at the same time if anything happen with this single lead or S.BUS connectors involved.

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 02-26-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:37 AM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting how they're both the same price in japan, but tower wants an extra $50 for a detachable lead. Things that make you go hum..
Old 02-27-2016, 02:34 AM
RuneG

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

the SVI has also a bit weaker well thanks but I think I og without the I
Old 03-11-2016, 09:48 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

@115oz/inch at 7.4v and a weight of 0.9oz, 671SV may be a good candidate for aileron servos.

Last edited by nonstoprc; 03-11-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:22 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by bem
Hi,
Also this time I will dare to use S.BUS2 for the servos and will have one single lead from a S.BUS hub near the receiver back to another S.BUS hub in the tail where I connect the rudder and two elevator S-BUS2 servos. Wíth my last F3A plane assembly two years ago I did not dare that single lead trick with S.BUS. This time I will try this, to save weight in the tail with just one lead instead of three leads. But still the argument exists that it will be greater risk of loosing both elevators and rudder at the same time if anything happen with this single lead or S.BUS connectors involved.

/Bo
Hi,
Just read a nice article about S.BUS and S.BUS servos för pattern usage that makes good sense to me.
If anyone else is interested the article, written by Bryan Hebert, it is here:

http://www.ckaero.net/blog/2016/04/0...orth-the-fuss/

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 04-12-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Smooth Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, the article was authored by Earl Haury. They are both real brains when it comes to pattern F3A flying so it is easy to mix their discussions.

Sheldon