Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

BJ Craft Etude

Old 10-01-2018, 04:22 AM
luckymacy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purchase carbon source?

Originally Posted by mgosson
After learning how to cut carbon fiber plates on one Caelus I found a Dremel Diamond wheel ( https://www.dremel.com/en_US/product...-diamond-wheel ). I normally use a helper to hold my vacuum crevice tool close to the carbon plate while I cut. I cuts through carbon fiber faster than you can imagine. I've built four sets, all similar design without a failure.
I love Loctite HP 60 epoxy for this type of work. It's clear, viscous and dries in 60 minutes, and it will not run.
I like what you did and I too fly off of a field that is notoriously swampy soft and reminds me of walking on a wet sponge. It causes a lot of issues or just makes where you canít fly for a month or more at a time. Where are you purchasing your carbon sheets from and what dimension, including thickness, did you buy? Seems like the carbon is relatively thick, were there thinner sheets to select from?

Lucky
Old 10-01-2018, 11:01 AM
mgosson
My Feedback: (8)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For the most part I've been using 2 mm carbon plates for the vertical pieces and 2.5 mm for the horizontal plate (where the landing gear bolts actually screws through).
On the last one I did (Invitation) I placed a 2.5 mm on the top plate and drilled the proper holes and made the fit as good as I could. Once I was satisfied I applied a bead of E60HP epoxy to the underside of the carbon plate, set the plate over top of the existing wood gear mount and inserted the landing gear bolts through the top and connected the bind nut plates to the underside. Once this was dry (next day) I slid the 2.5 mm plate through the side of the fuselage for proper fitting (this did require opening up the gear leg slots), then I applied a bead of 60 min E60HP epoxy. Sandwiched all the parts, wiped off any excess epoxy, voila!

The last one I did might be a bit overkill, not really certain yet.
I guess the argument can be made about adding excess weight, however most everyone I've seen that flies off grass has some form of damage or repair needed. Try color matching a fuselage repair after the fact...

This is where I've been purchasing my carbon plates from:
http://www.kcinc.com
They attend many AMA shows and I'm a supporter of anyone that supports our sport. They are the nicest people you could deal with, good prices, great selection and friendly.

If memory serves me correctly the plates I've been purchasing are 6" x 6"
Kinetic Composites Inc.
2520 Jason Court,
Oceanside, CA 92056
E-mail: [email protected]
760-945-4470

Last edited by mgosson; 10-01-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:35 AM
jeremy_r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing tube broken out of wing ...

HI All, just wanted to share some pics of my mates Etude - it was flying really nicely until the wing tube ripped out of the wings during a snap roll. Yes i know it's built to be light, but its a pattern aircraft, and pattern sequences have snap rolls in them. I setup and helped tune the snap switch for my mate so I know how aggressive the snaps were - crisp yes, any less they would be barrel rolls - aggressive or "blip" snaps .. no.

The airfame had only only done maybe 250 flights over the course of 18months, and it was only in the last 6 months did our sequence have any snap rolls (so the prior year our sequence had no flick manoeuvres). I know the model is fairly old now, but this sat on his shelf whilst his Integral notched up well over 1200 flights before it went through some trees at an unfamiliar flying field.

We were really quite surprised at home thin the balsa / ply ribs are, and my mate is pretty disappointed after putting a lot of effort into trimming the plane

[EDITL Bummer , this forum wont let me post pictures until I make 10 posts ...)

Last edited by jeremy_r; 10-18-2020 at 12:38 AM.