Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Electric Power in Pattern

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 07:33 AM
ben beyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Power in Pattern

So I'm about to get a pattern plane and I found an older CA Models 2M plane that is electric and I'm on the list at F3AUnlimited for a BJ Craft Nuance 70.

I've been watching of some Bryan's videos where he, Brett, and Chip were talking about how smooth the power of the YS was compared to electric. I had thought one of the big shifts to electric in pattern was being easier to maintain a constant speed.

Can I get some information on what they may have been referring to in that the glow power was smoother than electric?

Other than being able to fuel-n-fly (granted you would still need to charge an RX pack), are there any other advantages of glow in pattern?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:21 AM
n233w

I think the glow guys are mainly over here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/

I've never flown glow but from what I've read and seen the obvious advantage to combustion over electric is that your access to power increases rather than decreases the longer you're in the air. The main buzz on the problem with electrics is access to enough power especially in high wind conditions.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:36 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by n233w
I think the glow guys are mainly over here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-pattern-flying-101/

I've never flown glow but from what I've read and seen the obvious advantage to combustion over electric is that your access to power increases rather than decreases the longer you're in the air. The main buzz on the problem with electrics is access to enough power especially in high wind conditions.
With respect to power delivery vs time in electrics, I believe this was the driving motivation behind the development and sale of the Tech Aero Throttle Tech http://www.tech-aero.net/throttle-tech
Old 12-08-2016, 03:48 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Ben,
Since you are just starting in pattern then I am going to assume you won't be competing at the FAI level and probably starting at the sportsman level. Also remember that Bryan and Brett are diehard YS aficionados and Chip converted back from e-power to glow (YS) because he felt it cost him points at a very windy Nats finals a couple of years ago; a Nats that was won with e-power as most have in recent years. At the international level, e-power has never won a world championship (mostly thanks to CPLR), but has consistently placed in the top 5. The majority of pattern fliers are now flying with e-power; so finding help locally with power system questions and set-up will be pretty easy. There are some glow fliers in Texas, too, who can help with YS issues. There are no other glow alternatives that are commercially available. Two stroke OS and Webra engines as well as the occasional Mintor can be found, usually pretty inexpensively, but if you are considering pursuing pattern I would decide between the YS and e-power. My recommendation (and I am a die hard glow guy for more than 48 years) would be to choose e-power. Other than battery safety and maintenance it is pretty simple and very reliable and success in pattern is determined more by consistent practice than maximum horsepower.
Good Luck.
My 2 cents... :-)
Old 12-08-2016, 08:53 PM
ben beyer

Yeah I'm leaning towards E-power just for simplicity to begin with. Even if I quickly make the jump to Intermediate, it'll have more than enough power than what I really need to fly those sequences.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:06 AM
Smooth Pilot

Ben, you have a pretty good resource for electric information in Scott McHarq who flys over at the Brazos Valley Club in College Station. He is a seasoned pattern flyer that is ready to help. Sorry I do not have his e-mail. Look up the club and he should be listed. Also, he is the editor for the K-Factor newsletter for NSRCA and I know his email is listed on that site. The K-Factor letter is also a gold mine of information.

Sheldon

Last edited by Smooth Pilot; 12-09-2016 at 08:09 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-09-2016, 09:13 AM
ben beyer

Oh I have his number. I've been bothering him a lot lately and I didn't want to add more on to that.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:49 AM
ben beyer

I am in the process of purchasing Rick Byrd's back up De Ja Vu...
Old 12-20-2016, 07:44 PM
SpecializedRC

Electric or Glow??
Do you have much experience with glow? Im building my second BJ Craft plane on electric and I can say that it is so convienient and IMO has plenty of power. Only crappy thing is buying 10S pack sets because almost nothing else uses 10S set ups. Maybe some day well be able to run 12S in F3A

Originally Posted by ben beyer
I am in the process of purchasing Rick Byrd's back up De Ja Vu...
Old 12-20-2016, 08:53 PM
ben beyer

It's electric.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:59 AM
ben beyer

And just to add to my previous statement. I got into the hobby back in the 90's but never flew until 2004. At that time of course LiPo hadn't come around and no one could really afford it so I flew glow including using some YS engines back then.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:03 AM
PeterP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

De Ja Vu is a great flying model. You are going to enjoy it!
Old 12-23-2016, 05:53 AM
time907356

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben; I think this is the right choice. I re-entered pattern 1-1/2 years ago with a turnaround model and OS 120 2S. This is typically where glow is found in the lower classes; guys getting back in with older/used equipment. The ~12 events I've attended, as well as the NATS, were dominated by e-power. I've only seen maybe 2 glow competitors in Intermediate. Having done both, Electric is sooooo much easier and more reliable. And pattern is about conformance. It seemed like an up hill battle to perform well against the dominance of e-power.