Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

New BJ Craft Andrew Jesky Designed 2016 Nats winner Element thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:58 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much is shipping to the USA in US dollars? I've been wanting to change the colors.

Bill

Originally Posted by papaone
Hello

From Bondaero
"We can get your Element in pretty much any colour you want."
Old 07-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Flowmotion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The "Pink Element" has an interesting wing shape with a step similar to the Krill Spark. This is different to the “AJ Element” wing.
Never seen such a wing on a BJ G2.

Gerhard
Old 07-13-2017, 07:58 AM
AC Glenn
My Feedback: (2)

That airplane belongs to Steve Underwood in Great Britain. He has flown Proteus's, and Sparks for the last few years and has always run Dave Snow Wings on those models. The wings on the airplane are Snow Wings.

Originally Posted by Flowmotion
The "Pink Element" has an interesting wing shape with a step similar to the Krill Spark. This is different to the AJ Element wing.
Never seen such a wing on a BJ G2.

Gerhard
Old 07-13-2017, 08:00 AM
AC Glenn

This one isnt Pete's but his Element is pretty awesome. I think he will show it at the Nats in a couple of weeks.

Originally Posted by AmericanSpectre505
Looks like a Peter Collison scheme.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:19 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Unfortunately, my plans to fly the NATS have gone to the way side AGAIN for this year. I fly in the same district, so perhaps If I actually attend a contest this year I can see it or Archie's.

Best of luck at the NATS AC

Bill Holsten
Dist-2

Originally Posted by AC Glenn
This one isnt Pete's but his Element is pretty awesome. I think he will show it at the Nats in a couple of weeks.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:42 AM
blake26m

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Element built going great so far.
Just the tail and RC gear to install.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1494.JPG
Views:	722
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2224998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1599.JPG
Views:	696
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2224999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1597.JPG
Views:	664
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	2225000  
Old 03-22-2018, 01:44 AM
HARRIS-G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
I made an upgrade to my Element putting stab adjusters instead of using only carbon tubes...

Last edited by HARRIS-G; 03-22-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 AM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

What are you guys using for a manual, using the one from the invitation and/or essence?

tony
Old 07-13-2018, 10:01 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Hi,
Some questions about the Element:
1) Is it exactly the same plane in non Contra and Contra versions?
2) Is Andrew Jesky flying his Element with Contra? If Yes what Contra system,motor and props is he using?
I can see a photo from WC 2017 and he has decals Kontronik, AVR XS and Falcon on his Element so I suppose he used Adverun AVR XS drive with Kontronik motor and Falcon props.
3) Is it wing and stab incidence adjusters installed from factory?
4) Is it needed extra high landing gear in the Contra version of Element? If yes, is it included or do one need to buy that like the Falcon
long landing gear that is available?
5) How is the speed of the plane in general with Contra? I fly today since 3 seasons a Galactika that I think is slightly to fast for my taste (I use Hacker Q80-14XS with Falcon V2 21x12 single prop).
I suppose the Contra version can be flown little slower then a non Contra Element plane?
6) what can a typcial weight be with normal equipement (not hunting grams with super light servos, extra light lipos etc)?
I would love to have a plane that could be as light as 4.5-4.6 kg without to much effort (my Galactika is 4880 gram).
What is the weight of Your Element?
7) At BJ Craft website they write it is possible to have custome color scheme - anyone have tried that?
"Custom color
The favorite colors with the same basic pattern, Extra surcharge is USD300 for individual customer.
Individual pattern and colors should be inquired at [email protected]"

As I understand it the Element is a modified G2 Essence:
- wing is moved up about 2"
- modified agenda wing
- standard elevator (no full flying stab)
- straight stab with zero anhedral

Not sure what the difference is between previous Essence (non Contra) and Agenda (Contra) but the Element seems to be one and the same both for non Contra and Contra setup.
I know that Agenda has the wing sitting lower then on Essence and the wing is not exactly the same either.

regards,
Bo

Last edited by bem; 07-13-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:38 PM
grotto2

Hi Bo-
I don't know if I can answer all your questions, but I'll try to help whare I can.

1) From what I understand, it's the same plane. My nose ring is set for a couple of degrees of right thrust, which is where I have my motor shaft set, with a non-contra setup. In addition, I seem to require a couple of clicks of right rudder.
2) I can't speak for Andy, but I'm impressed with BJ Parks X-Drive.
3) There are no stab adjusters. To have an adjustable stab, you will have to make a modification of some kind. I recommend that you try the fixed stab location and fly it first. The wing adjusters are not installed and IMHO junk. I recommend replacing them with Gator adjusters.
4) I don't know, but I run a 21" prop and have about 7cm of clearance to the axles level.
5) My speed is similar to the contra Agendas I've seen fly. I think the speed range is independent of the thrust source you have. The Element will fly remarkably slow through most maneuvers with throttle management.
6) Mine is 10.5 pounds with 5000mAh batteries, but I usually run 4400's. My setup is strictly functional with no bling like pants, spinner or contra since I fly off turf.
7) ....

I had understood it was basically an Agenda with a raised wing, flat stab, etc. AFIK all the templates I show on the build thread will work on the Agenda.

Hope this helps,
Ron

Last edited by grotto2; 07-15-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:45 AM
bem

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the answer.
I supposer If Your plane weight 10.5 pounds (=4.76 kg) with 5000 mAh LiPo the weight with 4500 mAh (+- 100 mAh) could be around 10.2 lb / 4.6 kg give and take a few hundrad grams.

Do You use the landing gear included with the kit? I have heard some people change it to Falcon landing gear because the original landing gear was not so good (weak?).

The biggest issue with my Galactika is that it do not like to be slowed down to a speed I like because then it start to be unstable in yaw (at least my plane).

Good to know the wing adjusters that comes with the plane is better to replace with Gator wing adjusters. Are You using stab adjusters?

AJ Element is actually an Essence with the modifications I mentioned that Andrew Jesky wrote in another Element thread here.
So Element is not a modified Agenda. On the other hand, as I understand it, an Agenda is the Contra version of Essence so I guess one can say it is a modified Agenda also in some way, Element has a modified Agenda wing.

I have been thinking of maybe a Hacker Q80-14XS Sensitrol and Hacker Sensitrol ESC and 3 blade prop could be a good combination instead of Contra but I have all alternatives opened so far. I do not know when maintenance is needed at present on latest version of Brenner V4 Contra but I suppose some greasing is still needed in the garbox after some time (after 200 flights it is mentoned at F3A Unlimited website). I have been using Q80-14XS for many years and I'm very pleased with it. It is not possible to convert an ordinary Q80 to Q80 Sensitrol (I have asked Hacker). But Q80 Sensitrol+Sensitrol ESC+1 prop is still rather much cheaper then a Contra+motor+ESC+2 props.

I used Sebart planes before I trid the Oxai Galactika and liked the Sebart planes alot, their biplane Promethous is a nice plane that flies great with Contra (with Adverun, I have seen it fly many times). But I like monoplanes little more at present.

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 07-16-2018 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 AM
grotto2

Bem-
I did use the gear with the kit and have had no problem with them, although I do know several people in my area who have swapped the gear out for the reasons you mention. It's probably a good idea and I may do the same at some point.
I did not use stab adjusters. The plane is set up assuming the stab is at zero degrees and adjusting everything to that reference. I found the challenge to be leveling and setting the incidence of the canalyzer. In the first flights the aircraft was carrying some aileron and I gradually have adjusted that out with the wing adjusters.
I'm using a Neu F3A motor (straight gear) and it's required lube cycle is about 50 flights, FWIW.
-Ron
Old 07-16-2018, 09:59 AM
grotto2

Oh Bo, I forgot to mention that Park's new drive system is a very smooth-running belt system. Maintenance is probably less than a gear-drive system. There's a picture on BJP's personal fb page.
-Ron
Old 07-17-2018, 12:59 AM
bem

Hi,
AC Glenn that previously flew an AJ Element (at least during 2017 season) is using a new plane now named "Ariel". It is an all balsa built up plane. There is a Facebook site with flight videos and photos of the Ariel. It seems he is using Adverun Contra in his Ariel. I have not seen any photos yet from US NATS Pattern F3A 2018 where AC Glenn is competing, but it will be some photos soon I suppose. Acccording to a post in the Brenner Contra thread here at RCU Andrew Jesky is not flying AJ Element either at the NATS 2018. But still, BJ Craft AJ Element has proven to be a top design capable of top scores in hands of good pilots, to place 4th at WC 2017 as Adrew Jesky did really show that this plane has potential. AJ Element was released 2016 so it is some years old now, and I suppose AC Glenn and Andrew Jesky wanted to try some other plane to see if they can improve some more. It would for sure be interesting to hear from these gentlemen what the AJ Element may lack for present Schedules in their opinion that made them seek out another design. Anyway, I think AJ Element is still an interesting plane to consider.

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 07-17-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:02 AM
papaone

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello

Some pics of the Ariel
Claude
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-p...l#post12447801
Old 07-21-2018, 05:44 AM
bem

Hi,
So now is the 2018 US NATS in Pattern (F3A class and other classes) finished (yesterday, July 20).
Winner in FAI F3A class was Andrew Jesky and he flew an (Oxai) Acuracy Bip (biplane) with no Contra.
What electric motor and prop he is using in his biplane I do not know.
Congratiolations to Andrew!

It will be interesting for next season when probably many US F3A flyer want to follow the winner's choice for a biplane but
as far as I know the Acuracy Bip is out of production since some years (but I could be wrong).
Maybe some may jump to the newer Ascent Bip instead. It is available both as ARF from Hui Yang F3A (formerly Oxai) and
directly from Naruke Hobby in Japan in various finished stages (from balsa kit up to ARF).
From the photo albums at the NATS it seems to be rather many that had an AJ Element at the NATS.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelaircraft/albums
https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelaircraft/

/Bo
Old 07-21-2018, 04:05 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bem
Hi,
So now is the 2018 US NATS in Pattern (F3A class and other classes) finished (yesterday, July 20).
Winner in FAI F3A class was Andrew Jesky and he flew an (Oxai) Acuracy Bip (biplane) with no Contra.
What electric motor and prop he is using in his biplane I do not know.
Congratiolations to Andrew!

It will be interesting for next season when probably many US F3A flyer want to follow the winner's choice for a biplane but
as far as I know the Acuracy Bip is out of production since some years (but I could be wrong).
Maybe some may jump to the newer Ascent Bip instead. It is available both as ARF from Hui Yang F3A (formerly Oxai) and
directly from Naruke Hobby in Japan in various finished stages (from balsa kit up to ARF).
From the photo albums at the NATS it seems to be rather many that had an AJ Element at the NATS.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelaircraft/albums
https://www.flickr.com/photos/modelaircraft/

/Bo
Bo
The Accuracy Bipe still shows up on Naruke website, but in GP only
Bip[Asyuler

Making with another new biplane Advantage which is also GP only
Bip[Asyuler
Old 07-22-2018, 01:09 AM
bem

ltc,
You are right, from Naruke Hobby in Japan it is probably possible to still get an Acuracy Bip. But from Hui Yang F3A (formerly Oxai) maybe not possible?
The newer Ascent Bip is successor of Acuracy Bip as I understand it, and probably the newest Advantage Bip is an enhanced Ascent Bip, it seems.
It is probably only a matter of time before the Advantage Bip will also be avaliable for electric, and I would not be surprised if it will be made also by Hui Yang F3A, as the previous two Naruke biplanes has been made by (Oxai) Hui Yang F3A.
Time will tell.
/Bo

Last edited by bem; 07-22-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:51 AM
papaone

Received 130 Likes on 72 Posts

Hello
I dont know if they sell outside of japan
@AgLbgAARF
Old 07-22-2018, 03:06 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by papaone
Hello
I dont know if they sell outside of japan
@AgLbgAARF
I have purchased parts and accessories from them in the past and they shipped to the USA, but Ive never asked about a plane..

Customer service and shipping were excellent

Old 07-22-2018, 03:43 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If they won't sell to you direct, you can probably get RC-Japan to get one for you.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:48 PM
flyboy91

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Figured Id jump on here before there was to much speculation as to what was going on with my planes at the nationals.
First off yes I did fly an Oxai Acuracy, this model was purchased in 2013 and has been around the Us on loan to folks that have needed an airplane. I got the model back from chuck h, who used it in the spring of 2017.
After getting back from the WC last year and my surgery I had taken to the bipe out to fly and just it became my everyday pattern plane Id take out. I really liked the way the model flew the new sequence so I stuck with it and flew it at the Nats.
I did do a lot of testing over the spring and summer, element on contra, element on single prop, Acuracy. What I found is that the model changes based on what the sequences require. Last years sequences needed to be flown compact and thats where the contra helped. This year, the new sequences I think look better flown out a bit and with more speed. The bipe just seemed to do that better for me. While getting ready for the nationals, I had Marcelo Velez and Sergio Velasquez Aristizabal at my house and I flew both models, and they commented they liked the presentation of the element better. I was just to comfortable with the bipe and decided to go that route.
i still have my elements and will continue to improve on them and work with them to see what will give me the best chance to fly my best at the worlds in Italy.

Andrew
Old 07-23-2018, 01:07 AM
bem

Hi,
Great to hear from the source himself. Thanks for taking time to write here!
It is interesting to hear that in the top it can be details as You describe that determine what plane to choose for flight/flights.
The Schedules seems to be little more difficult for each year and when competing on a level where Final and Unknown schedules are used the model characteristics can suite some Schedules better then others, at least for some pilots it seems. For people like me that only fly P Schedule there is no such problem to have to think what plane may be better flying the Schedule. I just fly what I have for that season (although I have reserve model just in case). But it is interesting to hear some of the reasoning behind model selection that a top pilot may have to go through. Bipe or monoplane, Contra or no Contra etc.
Anyway, I like outcome of 2018 NATS F3A is some way: a) to win with an older design from 2013, b) winner not using Contra (although I think Contra is cool and can give some advatages). It gives other F3A flyers something to think about perhaps, both on grass root level and up to top level.

Hope all will go well for You and the rest of the US team next year here in Europe for the 31st WC, in Italy Aug 1-11.
By the way, it is now the 19th (first was in 1976) European Championship (EC) in F3A here in Europe, in Belgium in town Grandrieu. P-flights July 22-25 and then Semi Final and Final flights with closing ceremony July 28.
It is 24 EU and 2 non EU teams registered, 57 EU + 2 non EU Senior pilots and 8 Junior pilots, the two non EU pilots are Jincheng Kuang from China and Byung Joon Park ("BJ Park") from S. Korea.
It will be interesting to see what pilots will reach the podium. Christophe Paysant-Le-Roux, Gernot Bruckmann, Stefan Kaiser, Robin Trumpp, Lassi Nurila, Sebastiano Silvestri to name a few of the top pilots competing in this year's EC for the EC F3A title.
One can read newletter after each day at the official EC site:
EC-F3A-2018
It should be results and hopefully photos etc posted on the official site as the competition progress, at least they have preparad for that on the site, headings Results and Galleries. Sometimes it is published pilots "Equipment list" at EC, I do not know if they will do that this year but it would be interesting to read such list.
It is probably also posted on some Facebook pages somewhere some photos and comments during the competition.

What planes some of the top pilots are using:
Christophe Paysant-Le-Roux: Still a Galactika +(plus).
Gernot Bruckmann: A slightly enhanced Pandora (with a Contra drive).
Lassi Nurila: Sensation biplane (no Contra).
Robin Trumpp: His new Karat biplane (Contra).

I have seen some photos from EC and some pilots are using AJ Element.
Result so far after two Preliminary rounds is this:
http://www.ec-f3a-2018.be/?page_id=123
Some photos of planes used:
http://www.gbrcaa.org/gallery/index....ry/286#content

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 07-23-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:23 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Andrew,
Thanks very much for sharing your insights and congratulations for winning the Nationals! A few observations:
1) you don't need the absolute latest design to be very competitive
2) a properly set-up airframe is essential to be competitive
3) practice is critical
4) a great pilot can make a good airplane fly competitively; I do not believe a great airplane can put a good pilot on the podium.
Good luck preparing for the 2019 WC, we will be watching to see what you decide to compete with (and purchasing accordingly )
-Will
Old 08-17-2018, 10:04 PM
pippy

Hi Harris G, where did you get the tail adjusters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.