Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Alchemy Electric Build (CK Aero)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 04:32 PM
Stuart Chale

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A final balance with everything done to get the battery placement for the CG to be at the rear of the wing tube for the first flights. The battery is sitting a little behind where I had it on initial balance tests. (smart level was removed after setting plane at zero.)

Last edited by Stuart Chale; 07-19-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Stuart Chale

Finally done!!!
Well I still have to measure and program the throws.

So finally weighing with batteries RTF;.

4952 grams with TP 6000 mah packs (inter connect removed)
4846 gms with TP 5000 mah packs.

First flights soon.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:49 AM
Stuart Chale

The second flight on the first day out saw one of the wheels come off on landing pulling the gear pant off with it. The screw that goes into the NMP axel was still in the gear leg so i think it just was not tightened or "lock tited" properly.
I had to repair the gear pant and decided to change the wheels to the MPI 64mm aluminum thin wheels. They have a wider hub than the plastic ones (which wear quickly) and I have had good luck with a set on my Allure.
Second set of flight tests yesterday
Obviously the plane flies pretty similar to the Allure and using similar setups was very easy to get basic trimming done and used to the plane. Aileron about 11 - 12 degrees with a little differential (0.3 - 0.4 degrees) 26 degrees for snaps, elevator about 11 degrees, more for spins. Not sure about the rudder measurement but max throw for stall turns. A little bit of down elevator mix at low throttle. I use an offset to the mix so that it only activates on the bottom click of the throttle stick. I am pretty careful to get both elevator servos to track together using the JR's output curve to adjust the movements along the entire travel. Setting a temporary mix to one of the momentary switches allows me to move the elevators one click at a time along their travel without holding the stick.
Assuming the incidences are set correctly by Bryan I use his trimming guide and after getting the throws comfortable which they were as it was setup the same as my Allure I look at vertical track and knife edge. I needed to move the CG back by moving my battery back one notch. Standard knife edge (not FAI F sequence stuff) seems fine and verticals are good. I did have to increase my down elevator mix a little bit. The plane did need a little bit of left rudder trim (about 1mm or so at the top rear of the rudder.)

Compared to the Allure the 1 1/2 snap in Masters seemed a little easier, or I just got lucky with the first few I did. Stall turns require a bit more throttle as the rudder is smaller Otherwise it flies very similar. With 7 flights on it I could comfortably fly a contest in Masters. It would definitely need more fine trimming (or mixes) for the heavy knife edge stuff in FAI F sequences.
On another note my Allure had the 650 Pyro motor on the Contra this has the new 600. More power and lighter. Not sure how that happens but........ Mike can we try a 500 next time

Old 08-27-2018, 06:33 AM
Stuart Chale

Some pictures of my Allure with the Alchemy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart Chale:
orthobird (07-25-2022), Ricardo M. (06-09-2021)
Old 08-29-2018, 03:53 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Really nice models! How much difference have you found in flight performance?
Old 08-29-2018, 07:37 AM
Stuart Chale

Very similar. I think the Alchemy has a bit less drag, snaps a little easier. Allure a little stronger on the stall turn. Both easily fit my style of flying with the Contra.
The following users liked this post:
orthobird (07-25-2022)
Old 04-11-2020, 04:31 PM
mutare23

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What an awesome thread and effort Stuart. Thank you for your time with this it is a great read

cheers
Old 06-08-2021, 02:11 AM
orthobird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mutare23
What an awesome thread and effort Stuart. Thank you for your time with this it is a great read

cheers
I agree, I will be looking back at this for my build.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:12 AM
Stuart Chale

Originally Posted by orthobird
I agree, I will be looking back at this for my build.
Thanks, I refer back to them as well when I do my next build.
Stuart
Old 11-06-2021, 10:52 AM
fatair96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alchemy

Stuart,
Such an excellent build thread, have used references for my Alchemy I purchased earlier this year, just wondering if you could tell us where you purchased the CF landing gear and wheel pans for your Allure as I would assume they will fit the Alchemy?

Regards,
Steve
Old 11-06-2021, 11:03 AM
Stuart Chale

Thank you for the compliment. The landing gear probably were purchased form F3A Unlimited. They will not fit the Alchemy however as the mounting method is different.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:05 AM
fatair96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stuart,
Thanks for the quick reply!!

Regards,
Steve