Large Battery Pack Inter Connect Removal

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Large Battery Pack Inter Connect Removal

Old 07-04-2018, 09:45 AM
Stuart Chale

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Large Battery Pack Inter Connect Removal

Some of the larger battery packs like 5 cell 6000 mah packs from Thunder Power are shipped with a disconnected interconnect between a 2 cell and 3 cell group. Some other brands also do this. Likely due to shipping regulations on lithium batteries. No big deal but it does add additional weight to the pack. Some people remove the interconnect and as long as you are careful and have a good soldering station it is not difficult. I have done a bunch and probably only takes about 10 minutes per pack.

This is the process I use on Thunder Power packs. Pretty sure your Warranty may not be enforceable after this so proceed at your own risk

First step is to remove the shrink wrap and peel back the protective plastic sheet. Do this slowly and most of the adhesive should remain on one side. I use a rubber band to hold the plastic wrap out of the way.

Take a good look how the wires are run as you will want to put it back this way when done.

On the TP packs the foam spacers usually can be removed with several pieces of tape at once to expose the lower level of tape over the wiring.

Usually just 1 or 2 pieces of tape need to be removed to expose one side of the inter connect. I usually remove the black wire first although I have done it the other way but there is a balancing wire attached to the red side. The metal tab will have to be carefully bent up out from between the 2 cells. Yellow tape wraps all the way around the tab.

I place a piece of 1/16" ply behind the tab when using a soldering iron on it.

Black interconnect removed and red interconnect cut short and the end tinned.

Solder the end of the red interconnect to the tab vacated by the black interconnect. The other way works just as well soldering the free end of the black interconnect to the end vacated by the red wire. You will have a balance connector to deal with on that side though.

Re-tape the tab wrapping all the way around it and folding it back between the cells. I have always been able to use the tape that I have removed although having a fresh roll of this tape would help.

This is the route of the black wire before putting the tape back across the top.

The tape with the foam spacers goes back on as one piece.

Re-wrap the plastic protective sleeve.

Apply new shrink wrap. I use shrink wrap that measures 95mm when flat and cut it about 1/2" longer than the battery on top and bottom.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Stuart Chale

The important part is that removing the interconnects on a pair of batteries results in a 17 gm savings.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Stuart Chale

This is the heat shrink that I have been using. Pretty cheap
https://www.banggood.com/1m-Transpar...r_warehouse=CN