Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Mezon ESC: high brake power % setting - OK?

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Mezon ESC: high brake power % setting - OK?

Old 08-17-2018, 12:15 PM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mezon ESC: high brake power % setting - OK?

i,
I have used a Hacker Master Mezon 90 (with BEC) for 3 seasons.
I have used Mezon 130 (with BEC) in other F3A planes also for further back in time.

Now to the question:
In my previous F3A planes with Mezon ESC I have never needed to use more than 54-56 % brake power.
In my present F3A plane, a Galactika EP with Hacker Q80-14XS and Falcon Electric carbon V2 21x14,
I have used 56% brake power before (have tested 60% also but noticed no difference really).
I could hear the brake jump in when flying on 0% throttle, more noticable at landing approach.
So I know I had some brake effect.
Anyway, I have never been satisfied with the brake effect on downlines with my Galactika.
Today at the airfield I thought I may as well try higher brake power % just to see of it make no difference.
So I started with 62 and then progressed with 64, 68, 70, 72, 74 and all way up to 80% (when I did not dare to go higher).
It was bettter and better brake effect on downlines and about 74-80% there was a noticably different sound
at breaking also.

I have never used over 60% brake power on any ESC before.

Will it be some negative effect on the ESC with such high brake power setting as 80%?

Such a waste of flying before with my Galactika when the brake effect was so poor since I did not really
understood how bad brake effect I had (I just assumed Galactika was fast as a weasel also in downlines
despite brake on, but obviously rather poor brake effect setting by me since I did not understand better).

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 08-17-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:57 PM
ini

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I got a recommendation from seller to use 70% brake with outrunners and 30% with geared inrunners as a starting point.
This using Jeti/Hacker ESC.

It It is all about plane weight and drag.
Also, if you increase prop pitch you generally need to add a little brake too.
I think you are fine with your setting.

Last edited by ini; 08-17-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:50 AM
bem

Hi ini,
Thanks for the answer. I will continuie with present 80% brake power then and see if anything negative might happen but I hope not.
I will report back if I encounter any problems with this setting.
/Bo
Old 08-22-2018, 06:30 AM
feily

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bem
i,
I have used a Hacker Master Mezon 90 (with BEC) for 3 seasons.
I have used Mezon 130 (with BEC) in other F3A planes also for further back in time.

Now to the question:
In my previous F3A planes with Mezon ESC I have never needed to use more than 54-56 % brake power.
In my present F3A plane, a Galactika EP with Hacker Q80-14XS and Falcon Electric carbon V2 21x14,
I have used 56% brake power before (have tested 60% also but noticed no difference really).
I could hear the brake jump in when flying on 0% throttle, more noticable at landing approach.
So I know I had some brake effect.
Anyway, I have never been satisfied with the brake effect on downlines with my Galactika.
Today at the airfield I thought I may as well try higher brake power % just to see of it make no difference.
So I started with 62 and then progressed with 64, 68, 70, 72, 74 and all way up to 80% (when I did not dare to go higher).
It was bettter and better brake effect on downlines and about 74-80% there was a noticably different sound
at breaking also.

I have never used over 60% brake power on any ESC before.

Will it be some negative effect on the ESC with such high brake power setting as 80%?

Such a waste of flying before with my Galactika when the brake effect was so poor since I did not really
understood how bad brake effect I had (I just assumed Galactika was fast as a weasel also in downlines
despite brake on, but obviously rather poor brake effect setting by me since I did not understand better).

/Bo
Hello bem
1. which one you motor ,2.how many Pole you setting 3.how mach timing you setting
in the pole and timing is right then brake setting is ok
Old 08-22-2018, 09:21 AM
bem

Hi,
It is Hacker Q80-14XS that has 28 poles, Timing 25 degrees and Switching frequency 8 kHz.
I use same values in the Mezon ESC. That is the Hacker specification for this motor.

During the years I have used total 4 Mezons with Q80-14XS and in all Mezons I have the above values set.
In my Galactika it is the only plane I have needed to set so high brake power percent as 80 %.
I use Falcon 21x14 V2 carbon electric prop in my Galactika.
I have flown about 20 flights now since I changed from 56% to 80% and the brake is now very effective.
So far no indication that the high % break power is negative for the ESC or motor, but nothing can be said
yet for long time usage.

In another plane MythoS Pro I use another Q80-14XS motor and Mezon 130, I use same settings in that Mezon ESC,
except brake power is only 54% and the break is effect is good. The prop on that plane is Falcon 20.5x14.5 V2 carbon electric prop.

/Bo

Last edited by bem; 08-22-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:36 AM
UKMouldy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hiya Bo,
I have a 130 lite with Q80-13XS brake is also set high but I'm seeing the same issues as you; i.e. brake is very evident on landing but not so much on the down lines. Prop is 21 x 14 wide blade. Have been considering changing out to a contra system because of the down line issues.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:52 PM
bem

Hi,
Contra seems to be more effective in keeping the downline speed down. One can see that easily when someone fly a Contra equipped F3A plane. But also some I have seen use non Contra with 3 blade prop and manage to keep a good downline. Some planes are faster already by design (like my Galactika) and that complicate the downlines also. The latest Galaktika+ (plus) has "breake" on top wing so... some different ways to try to solve the problem. I do not have breake on the top wing on my Galactika (non +).
Then not all F3A planes are suited for Contra so that is not the medicine for all planes.

/Bo
Old 04-22-2019, 12:21 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

/Bo
There should be no issue or concern with using higher % brake settings
99% setting will not harm the motor or ESC