Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

SK3 motors for Sebart Mythos 50E

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:10 PM
hamza_b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SK3 motors for Sebart Mythos 50E

Hi All,
Just wanted to see what your experience is with either SK3 motors and/or Sebart Mythos 50E. I will be putting together one starting soon. Just wanted to make sure I get the power setup correct. From what I have read the possible options are:

1) Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5055-430KV Brushless Outrunner Motor (hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-5055-430kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html)
2) Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 5055-320KV Brushless Outrunner Motor (hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-5055-320kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html)

I would prefer using the 6cell 5300mah lipo. Recommended Hacker setup is Hacker A50-16S motor. with either 16x12 or 17x10 props. I would prefer using the 17x10 for a more stable flight characteristics. ESC i am happy to use the HobbyWing Platinum 100amps.

Please recommend the motor setup.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:44 AM
myckey
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry very late reply, I've put together plenty of Sebart 50E planes or planes the same size like the Ionis, but your choice of motor will be heavy and my experience says will be hard to get the c of g far enough back. Using batteries that large won't help either, maximum I go to is 4,000 but 3600 balances better.

I always use the 5045 450KV on 6 cells turning a 16X10 prop, that has plenty power enough..
As an aside I do have two SK3 5055 320KV motors in my two 110 Size planes using 8 cells and turning 18X10 props, one plane is about five years old, has many hundreds of flights on it and is still using the original bearings, personally I would use the YEP 60 amp esc as it has far more programmability including the F3A Brake.

Late but hope that helps.

Myck
Old 04-24-2019, 01:47 PM
hamza_b

Hi Myck,

thanks for your reply ans sharing your experience.

i have yet to do the cg check on my winds with tge 5055-450 and 6s 5000mah. I find it strange that you say there will be balancing issues since iam following the sebart recommendations. The 5055-450 has nearly the same weight as hacker motor recommended. It is more for sure. And again the lipo is the recommended size too. I hope i dont run into issues ill chk today.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:25 PM
myckey
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The planes that I have set up are my own Sebart Angel, several HK Aeroso's (not sold anymore but basically a Sebart Wind copy), and the Ionos (in truth the B J Craft Monologue under another name) and a Mytho S 50E, I don't know whether the Mytho had any issues but it was using 4,000 mah and a 5045 anyway, definitely with the Angel and Aeroso you just can't get the batteries far enough back, I also recently heard from a friend who had the same trouble with a BJ Fantasista 70, he just couldn't get the weight far enough back so he swapped the 5055 450 for the 5045 and it was then OK.

Try it and see but if you are happy with the balance (I fly with the balance quite neutral so only just nose heavy) then the motor will be lightly stressed and you'll have longer flight times, all I would say is these planes fly better lighter and heavy batteries will strain the U/C if you aren't making pretty perfect landings all the time or fly off rough ground.

Please don't think I'm criticising I'm not, I'm just passing on my experience as a pattern flyer, I fly nothing else now so if you fly it and it feels disappointing that's a few pointers for where you might want to go.

Hopefully it all balances out OK and you enjoy it, Mytho S is a fine plane especially the 2M version!

Myck
Old 04-24-2019, 02:34 PM
hamza_b

Hi Myck,

no not at all. This is what hobby and flying is about. we leave no corners unturned 😊 sincere thanks for your input.

so first thing iam currently working on winds 50E. I just balanced it with 6s 5000mah and 5055 430 on 205mm recommended spot. No issues at all. Battery is sitting where it should be.

thanks for the help.