Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Is this some warning from Futaba? (F3A related)

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Is this some warning from Futaba? (F3A related)

Old 04-03-2019, 05:25 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is this some warning from Futaba? (F3A related)

Hi,
Anyone here that can read Japanese?
What is this about that Futaba Japan posted a while back? See link below.
It start with word F3A and then I'm lost on the rest.
Seems to be some kind of warning when connecting someting to a Futaba receiver.
I loaded the URL in Goggle translator but since the document is an image it was not able to do a translation.

‘o—t“dŽqH‹Æ ƒzƒr[ƒTƒCƒg ƒz[ƒ€ƒy[ƒW | F3A‹@‚ðƒtƒ‰ƒCƒg‚ÌŠF‚³‚܂ց@”òs‚ÉŠÖ‚·‚钍ˆÓ“_‚Ì‚¨’ m‚点 (2019-02-14)

/Bo
Old 04-03-2019, 06:31 AM
flyboy91

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an email into Futaba USA to get a answer, I'll post the info once it is passed onto me.

Andrew
Old 04-03-2019, 10:45 AM
J-P

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

This is an approximate translation, but what must be done according FUTABA is clear ..

Page 1
February 14, Heisei 31
To F3A aircraft flyers Futaba Electronics Industry Co., Ltd. Hobby Radio Control Sales Division For safe flight of F3A aircraft Thank you very much for your patronage of our products daily. By the way, between December of last year and January of this year, in F3A machines using our products, due to unknown cause We have received reports of several crash accidents. Currently, we are investigating cause investigation including verification test, but at the present moment a problem has occurred in our products not. In addition, due to the occurrence of malfunctions during the relatively dry period in winter, due to static electricity and radio interference during flight There is also the possibility that the receiver or servomotor will stop functioning. Therefore, we recommend the following countermeasures in flight of F3A aircraft, so the more you cooperate, I appreciate your favor. · Please be aware of the flight at the airport where the noise caused by radio interference occurred in the past. · Please check whether there is any problem with the wiring condition of the connector. In addition, please use our genuine products for connectors such as extension cord. · Receiver battery - Please use our genuine products. · To reduce the effects of static electricity and radio interference, we recommend using ferrite cores. Recommended product: ZCAT 1325-0530A made by TDK (inner diameter 5 mm, use example), ZCAT 1730-0730 A (inner diameter 7 mm) It is recommended to install the S.BUS connection with a long extended connection close to the receiver. Please fix the ferrite core so that it moves and does not damage cables. In order to enjoy flights more safely, thank you for your understanding, cooperation, thank you I will. Inquiries Futaba Electronics Industry Co., Ltd. System solution business center Customer service staff Tel: 0475-32-4395 Device Sales Center - Hobby Radio Control Sales Division Tel: 03-4316-481À
Old 04-04-2019, 03:12 AM
F3ARacoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I guess the incidents have to do only with the SB configurations of the 7008SB Rx?

Opinions?

Thanks and regards,
N
Old 04-04-2019, 03:25 AM
J-P

I don't think so ...

For safety, I'm using the ferrite on all the receivers using SBUS

JP

Old 04-04-2019, 07:26 AM
bem

Hi,
I guess I need such Clamp Filters (Ferrite Core with Case) then since I use S.BUS and S.BUS2 in my F3A plane.
What is the weight of these Clamp Filters?

/Bo
Old 04-09-2019, 07:16 PM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

So JP, are you plugging the ferrite core in between the receiver and the subs hub?
Old 04-10-2019, 04:15 AM
J-P

I didn't weighted it yet, but we are talking about a few grams compared to the safety of a model ....

Old 04-10-2019, 05:12 AM
rgreen24
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for the pictures. Just ordered a set of the ferrite cores. Will not fly the plane again until I install them
Old 04-10-2019, 07:57 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

This is now making sense.

For those who live in the US and might wish to purchase these, they are a common inexpensive item:
https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...2038-ND/600472
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...ePm3LFxw%3D%3D

I first saw these ferrite cores show up on the Morris Hobby site in Japan and didn't pay much attention to them (I am an electrical engineer and spend my day working in an RF lab so ferrites are just a matter of fact item)
It seemed odd that a company like Morris Hobby would offer such an item all of a sudden, but I didn't pay attention or remember it until this thread showed up.

ƒNƒ‰ƒ“ƒvƒtƒBƒ‹ƒ^iƒtƒFƒ‰ƒCƒgƒRƒAj

Google Chrome Translate:

Clamp filter (ferrite core) to reduce the influence of radio interference It is recommended to attach to long cord such as S. BUS wiring.
Install as close to the receiver as possible.
Secure the clamp filter so that it does not move, and damage the cord or remove the connector.
Make sure that the cords are not damaged by the clamp filter claws.

Made of TDK ZCAT 1325-0530A
Inner diameter: 5 mm Outer diameter:
12.8 mm
Length: 25 mm

Reference
"About the safe flight of F3A aircraft (Futaba Electronics Industry Co., Ltd. HP)"Item NumberZCAT 1325-0530AProduct nameClamp filter (ferrite core)Selling price200 yenPrice excluding tax186 yenManufacturerTDKstock quantity: 1 2 3 Four Five 6 7 8 9 Ten
However, it does appear as though Futaba does have an issue of some sort.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:34 AM
big_G

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

A field that I used to fly at has known 2.4 gHz signals for watering system control. It was probably responsible for my losing a 2 meter pattern plane (not s-bus) a few weeks ago. I wonder if these would be of benefit?
Old 04-10-2019, 01:30 PM
ltc

Originally Posted by big_G View Post
A field that I used to fly at has known 2.4 gHz signals for watering system control. It was probably responsible for my losing a 2 meter pattern plane (not s-bus) a few weeks ago. I wonder if these would be of benefit?
Probably not
These will not address receiver selectivity or RF front end issues, such as 2.4GHz interfering signals from a source other than your radio

These are most often seen (in the bare donut or torpid form, not a split core) on ESC wiring to the Rx. It helps minimize non intentional noise from the ESC from being conducted into the Rx along the wires and causing issues.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:38 AM
bem

Would such ring below be better and more effective then Clamp Filters (Ferrite Core with Case)?

Nanocrystalline Toroidal Filter
https://www.hacker-motor-shop.com/BE...A88000&p=10124

/Bo
Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 AM
bchapman

Originally Posted by rgreen24 View Post
Thanks for the pictures. Just ordered a set of the ferrite cores. Will not fly the plane again until I install them
Never knew such a device existed. Sounds like a good precaution to use on any model or brand radio system. I'm going to order a few.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:32 AM
ltc

Originally Posted by bem View Post
Would such ring below be better and more effective then Clamp Filters (Ferrite Core with Case)?

Nanocrystalline Toroidal Filter
https://www.hacker-motor-shop.com/BE...A88000&p=10124

/Bo
A split core is just for the convenience of being able to clamp it on an existing cable assembly
Having connectors on the end make it very difficult or impossible to pass it through the center of a toroid/donut core

The effectiveness of the ferrite depends on several factors:
1. Core material / permeability
2. Core dimensions

In General (and in this order) , it is best to keep the inner diameter as small as possible to just allow the wire to pass thru.
Next, make the outer diameter as large as possible
Lastly make it as long as size/weight allow

You can also add more turns (wraps) to increase the impedance but there is a penalty for doing so, which must be considered in the design.

BTW, clsmping a split ferrite on a cable or taking a toroidal ferrite and just passing the wire straight they the center is defined as “1 turn” ... even though there is no wrapping around

If I can help with additional information, links or questions please let me know.