Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

XT90 or bullet connectors for a 2M pattern ship?

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

XT90 or bullet connectors for a 2M pattern ship?

Old 08-07-2023, 01:13 PM
SpeKopuZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XT90 or bullet connectors for a 2M pattern ship?

Hi all,
I recently received an AJ Acuity 2M. I've only flown smaller airplanes before, up to 6S using XT90 connectors.
Is it ok to use XT90s on a 10s configuration with 2x5s using an adapter in series? Or are bullet connectors better? Not sure about pros and cons or what's being used these days with this setup.

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2023, 11:36 PM
coreless

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Either will be fine but my preference is for bullet connectors, I think they are neater and out less strain on the battery. What current will you be running?
The following users liked this post:
SpeKopuZ (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 12:16 AM
SpeKopuZ

Hi coreless, I'm not sure about the current I'll be running. My plan is to use the recommended AJ motor, 10s lipos (25 or 35C) and a D3 ESC. I'm still waiting for those components to arrive. What would be the best way to calculate current without actually measuring it from the model?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2023, 12:52 AM
Hans S

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi SpeKopuZ, I use in my F3A-Planes only 5,5 mm Bullet. Look at Gerds Webpage:
https://elektromodellflug.de/hochstrom-st.-bu..html
SpeKopuZ (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 01:17 AM
SpeKopuZ

Thanks Hans.
May I ask how do you connect your batteries in series and how do you charge them? Separately or as a 10s pack?
Old 08-08-2023, 01:33 AM
Hans S

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pilots I know use female bullets for red line and male for black (or the other war round). So its easy to connect in series. I prefer female on both lines and use a short adapter to connect in series.
Allways charging separately 5s packs
SpeKopuZ (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 10:30 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeKopuZ
... I've only flown smaller airplanes before, up to 6S using XT90 connectors.
Is it ok to use XT90s on a 10s configuration ...
Note that connectors don´t care about voltage (in volt) or power (in watt), they only care about current (in ampère).

On a side note, motors don't care about voltage either.
As long as current, power and rpm don't get too high.
The wire insulation coating/lacquer/resin can handle several thousand volt.

Last edited by ron_van_sommeren; 08-08-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:30 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The bigger the soldering iron (power, fast heat replenishment) and chisel tip mass (heat storage) the better.
Soldering iron cannot be too big, +100watt.
A soldering gun is useless, and heavy to boot.

Connector soldering jig, keeps pins straight in housing while soldering.
wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79119

Two connector soudering videos
www.youtube.com/c/Innov8tive8/videos

Connector tests, plus pictures
translate...www.elektromodellflug.de/hochstrom-st.-bu..html
Older version of that page, contains some other connectors
translate...www.elektromodellflug.de/oldpage/hochstromst/hochstromstecker.htm
Excellent site, do have a look at the controller, motor, charger, power supply, battery etc. tests.

Prettig weekend Ron
• Without a watt-meter you're in the dark ... until something starts to glow •
E-flight calculatorswatt-metersdiy motor tips&tricksCumulus MFC

Keeping pins straight even when housing softens a bit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solder_block.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	2273076
The following 2 users liked this post by ron_van_sommeren:
SpeKopuZ (08-08-2023), wattsup (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 04:31 PM
barnowljenx

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi all,
I recently received an AJ Acuity 2M. I've only flown smaller airplanes before, up to 6S using XT90 connectors.
Is it ok to use XT90s on a 10s configuration with 2x5s using an adapter in series? Or are bullet connectors better? Not sure about pros and cons or what's being used these days with this setup.

Thanks!
I have used the Hobby King 4 mm connectors with a polarised insulated cover for many years after shorting a pair of batteries when I was tired! You cannot get these plugs and sockets wrong as the plastic sheath completely surrounds them and being difference sizes prevents you from doing anything dangerous. The one I show in the photo does not seem to be sold by Hobby King any more but they do list the earlier type with separate metal bullets that need to have the plastic sheath pushed over them once the soldering is complete. NB the sheath needs to be on the wire being soldered to the bullet and the sheath then is slid down and over the bullet. There is a very strong lock between a ridge on the bullet and the sheath. HK is still listing the separate bullet and sheath (link) but they are, as ever, out of stock! The ones in my photo I separate before soldering onto the battery leads as the distance between them is far too small with bare battery wires being soldered into place! Also with the complete units separated they are easier to put heat shrink over them.

You just plug one negative into the corresponding positive sheath. As you can see from the diameter difference, one slides into the other thus providing the polarisation as well as complete protection of the connection.

I have tried other connectors but I find these 4 mm ones are perfect. You never have bare contacts that can touch other metal and cause problems.

Hobby King 4 mm shrouded and polarised bullets
Old 08-09-2023, 02:00 AM
SAB

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,

I use 5.5mm Bullets, however, I have also settled on Hacker ECO-X batteries (5S 5000mA 20C), as have quite a few other F3A guys I fly with. They come with XT90 anti spark connectors so I have to take them off and replace with 5.5mm bullets ! - IF I was in your position then I would use XT90's without hesitation, more than sufficient for the current a typical 10S F3A set-up consumes.
As you are based in Gemany getting Hacker batteries will be easy for you.

Steve
SpeKopuZ (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 07:49 AM
Bubblehead575

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all,

Thanks!
I am going to throw another curve to the conversation. as I have been using Anderson Power Pole connectors for years and have had fewer issues with them than any other connector. They are easier to connect and disconnect and handle the high amps needed for pattern without issue. They also don't need to be soldered and as a result are more flexible and less prone to bad connections and the resulting problems of a cold solder joint. They are crimped and needless to say you don't have to worry about over heating and melting or deforming the connector with a too hot soldering iron.

Bill
Old 08-09-2023, 11:48 PM
Krille

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I use xt90 anti spark on my pattern plane. I use 2 connectors on the ESC so i can use the packs as 5S on other planes if I whant.
Yes it ads a little in weight but no need to modify batteries, no worry of shorting batteries and with anti spark no where on the connectors.
SpeKopuZ (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 01:18 AM
SpeKopuZ

Originally Posted by Krille
I use xt90 anti spark on my pattern plane. I use 2 connectors on the ESC so i can use the packs as 5S on other planes if I whant.
Yes it ads a little in weight but no need to modify batteries, no worry of shorting batteries and with anti spark no where on the connectors.
Hi Krille,

Do you have the anti spark XT90s in each battery? Do you also have an anti spark on the adaptor to connect them in series?