Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Hacker Gearbox removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 07:30 PM
BJM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hacker Gearbox removal

Who knows how to get the gearbox off the C50 to lube the gears.

Billy
Old 10-20-2005, 11:02 PM
VerneK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hacker Gearbox removal

The very front of the gearbox has a series of threaded holes. I believe there's eight of them. One or two of those holes has a hidden set screw in it that prevents the gear box from unthreading. Pretty sure the balldriver size for the set screw(s) is 1.5mm. Put the 1.5mm ball driver down each hole to find the set screw(s) and loosen it (or them). You then need a pair of strap wrenches. Sears has some nice ones. Use one strap wrench on the motor and the other one on the gear box to unscrew the gearbox from the case. There's generally a little loctite on the threads so don't be surprised if it takes a fair amount of force.

Verne
Old 05-22-2006, 07:42 AM
flyf3a

Hi all Hacker owners

Once the gearbox is removed do you simply add new lubricant, how much and what type of commercially available lubricant can be used. How often should the gearbox be opened for maintenance? Have about 100 flights on my C50 13XL.

Burt
Old 05-22-2006, 08:09 AM
darkvader

SuperLube
each 50 flights
Old 05-22-2006, 08:15 AM
flyf3a

Hi

Thank you. So far I am the only F3A pilot in South Africa that has taken up electric flying, so the learning curve is a lonely one. Just received new Beryll from Oxai that should be flown weather permitting in the next two weeks. Have ordered new 15XL motor and once received will slip in. Will keep 13 XL in Impact currently flying.

Regards

Burt
Old 05-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Magne

Hi.
I have been lubricating my C50 about every 75 flights or so, but the only reason I knew that I should do so was because I read about it here on RCU.
I think it is increadibly silly that there is no mention of this requirement from Hacker, i.e. clearly stated in the instruction manual, with frequency of lubrication, type of lubricant, how to go about it etc.
Or is it just hype, is it not really required?? [8D]

Magne
Old 05-22-2006, 10:55 AM
mola
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Magne,

I agree, but this instruction is included with the competition motor... I scanned it and uploaded it to my web-site.

Here you go: [link=http://morten.laugesen.nu/HackerC50.pdf]http://morten.laugesen.nu/HackerC50.pdf[/link]

The competition is a little different since the gearbox is fastened with four screws on the front of the motor, whereas on the old motor the gearbox screws directly onto the motor itself, like mentioned earlier in this thread...
Old 02-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Arnaldo

Hi Guys,

How greasing the C50 13XL Acro?

Thanks
Arnaldo
Brasil