Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

fitting batteries

Old 06-06-2006, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fitting batteries

Hi,

I have got to the stage with my otop of fitting the batteries. I have seen pictures of installations where there is good access around the batteries - a firm plate and a few velcro ties seems to be the way to fit the batteries. However I think that I will be putting the batteries at the front of the "pipe tunnel". There is plenty of space for them to slide in, but I am rather unsure as to how to secure them as access to a strap arrangement would be limited.

Some of you must have fitted batteries in similar positions - what did you use to secure and protect the packs??

Many thanks for your help,

James
Old 06-08-2006, 04:46 PM

Default RE: fitting batteries

someone must have done this surely! And ideas however brief will be most gratefully received!

James
Old 06-08-2006, 06:39 PM

Few of us are familiar with the Otop. Can you post pics of the potential battery areas?
Old 06-09-2006, 03:35 AM

This isn't myplane - rather a shot I found elsewhere on RCU, but it shows the cowling / pipe tunnel arrangement well. There's a small chin cowl which comes off, and then a fully enclosed pipe tunnel, open at the front and back for cooling air etc. The batteries will half be completely within the tunnel and half sticking forward of the opening (ie into the space under the chin cowl). Supporting the front half of the batteries will be no problem as they will stick forward but the rear half will be fully enclosed and inaccessible.

James

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83264.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	474664  
Old 06-09-2006, 06:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

James,

I have posted these pics of my Impact before but they might help you.

Firstly I didn't want to mess about fitting the batteries with the model inverted on a stand so access from underneath was out.

The Impact fuz is large enough to get my hands inside through the canopy opening to do up the forward velcro strap and connect the +ve of the battery to the speed controller. The negative comes out through a hole in the fuz side and is inserted into the negative 4mm connector from the ESC which is glued into the fuz side when I want to arm the system.

The battery tray is supported at the front on the horizontal fuz moulding that the chin cowl fits against. To the rear of this are two carbon rods glued accross the fuz which support the middle and rear of the tray. The tray is held on with acouple of screws at the front and cable ties round the tubes so that it is removable. The tray was made from a piece of foam board which quickly broke and was re-inforced with some 2mm carbon rods. Make sure you put plenty of cooling holes in the tray. The images show the setup before I optimised the CG as now these Flightpower 6300mAh packs sit with their rear against the wing tube. The same setup will balance with my TP5300 packs sited well forward. I use velcro patches to stop the packs moving on the tray and the straps to hold them down.

The esc is mounted on the horizontal fuz moulding and only a small hole is opened up to allow cooling air to pass over it and into the fuz. Twin baffles in the chin cowl push air up over the motor and up and rearward over the batteries. An air dam in the canopy and at the front of the radio tray force the exiting air under the radio tray where they exit through two long slots in the fuz bottom (no pic I'm afraid).

This setup works well and it is easy to change the battery through the canopy opening.

My new Plett powered version will be similar although the battery tray is made from carbon/foam composite and will dispense with the carbon tubes.

Hope this helps.

Malcolm

Name:	Vt57220.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	474689   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81890.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	474690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41892.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	474691  
Old 06-12-2006, 01:40 PM

Malcolm,

thanks for that reply - always good to hear from you! Unlike you I would rather turn the plane over and then only undo one screw! I have gone ahead with fitting the batteries into the pipe tunnel, I made a frame to support the front, with the rear of the batteries sitting on the floor of the pipe tunnel - see the picture. Two velcro straps hold them in place, with a velcro patch between the packs and under them, to stop them all from sliding relative to each other as you suggested.

Once I have my motor sorted (see my other post) I'll be good to go!

James

Name:	Fd90695.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	476544  
Old 06-13-2006, 03:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

James,

My big concern with your installation from the pic is that you don't appear to have much airflow gap round the packs. I would worry that the rear cells will not get as much cooling as the front ones and thinking about this further even the front ones will not get proper cooling unless the air can get out somewhere. I think you need to open up the hole that the batteries pass through to allow the air to flow through.

Hope this helps

Malcolm