Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Silhouette 4 E on the cheap! Well sort of

Old 05-26-2007, 08:24 PM
sparky925
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette 4 E on the cheap! Well sort of

ok ok
Almost 1 year ago i had an unfortunate midair in americas Ga where 2 Silhouette II went into oblivion. 1 glow...mine and 1 electric, Emorys
I decided that my next plane would be Electric version..and liking the RC Model enterprises, the Silhouette 4 it would be!!

Being on a very limited budget i looked into the lower end electric motors...no haker inrunner for me!! i found this GP Rimfire outrunner. looked nice, and i have used a rimfire before with good power numbers on a smaller 40 size plane...but after burning up 3 motors i decided to move elswhere..

lookoing at this newer Eflite 160 looked promising....it has a constant current rating 15 Amps higher than the Rimfire, and surge current 12 Amps higer that the rimfire also..

so after a little modifing of the firewall the 189.00 local retail price Eflite 160 is installed....time to maiden this Silhouette 4.
Running APC 18X12E with 2-5s1p 5000 mAh Flite Power on a CC 85HV. Well the watt meter speaks now!!
ouch over 80 amps and 2600+ Watts!! TOO much....so adjusting the ATV on radio for a tempory purposes...i had no other prop to try for now..im running 69 amps at 7260 RPM
I made 5 flites today..basicall breaking in the batteries a little..i lke to run the batteries gentely for 5 or 10 flights or so...
i ran from 1900 mAhr, to 3200 mAhr over 5 flights... 4-8 minute flights..

Silhouette 4 RFT is 10 Lbs, 4 Oz, and takeoff is at 1/3rd throttle as spec above..
Ill get a few more props for testing, but right nmoe everything looks good...batteries only ran at 110 degrees at most.....good to know considering that it was 90 degrees ambient temperture today/...
more info as i get it..or find it..whatevetr!!!!

tony