Fliton Element 170 ARF build

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:16 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fliton Element 170 ARF build

Zoli-

Note that I said about 1.5" more ground clearance.

I'm using an 18 inch prop. With that prop positioned vertically and the plane sitting in three-point I measure about 120mm from prop tip to ground on the GraphTech gear.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

-Ron
Old 08-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Zoli

Alex,

Chris said you might know where to get parts (specifically stock wheel pants) for the Element 170.

Do you know where to go?

Zoli
Old 08-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Zoli

Ron,

Wow, 4.7"... that's pretty tall. I too am running an 18" prop (18x8 or 18x10 APC, non-electric), but with stock gear. Gotta keep everything in a 3 point stance to avoid dings.

Earlier you mentioned "sans wheelpants"... what are those? I am looking for replacements, preferrably stock, but will consider others.

Zoli

Old 08-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Zoli

Chris... better make sure I've got the right guy, are you referring to WOO?

Zoli
Old 08-16-2009, 01:16 PM
grotto2

Old 08-17-2009, 01:28 AM
grotto2

Zoli-
Just a long shot, but you might want to give Esprit Model a call on your wheel pants. They had some generic-looking pants that are a dead ringer for the Element ones but all white.
Frankly, I consider pants an expendable item since I sometimes end up flying on some pretty rough turf. Keeping a small stock of them might not be a bad idea. When I visit various hobby shops I always keep an eye out for such things.
But I know a lot of electric fliers remove them to save the weight. So it's not a sin to display naked wheels if you can stand it.
Just a tip: Once your tire setup is assembled, mix up a little 5 minute epoxy and put a small blob on the threads/heads/nuts/surfaces holding your wheels and pants together. This can be removed later for disassembly, but will keep things from unwrapping.
-Ron
Old 08-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Zoli

Dale,

How do they work and what would be your ground clearane with and 18" prop?

Thanks, Zoli
Old 08-24-2009, 11:09 AM
mradcliff
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HELP!
I have an Element 170 that needs a new belly pan. Can anyone help me find one new or used? I'm flying it w/o a pan and it sure would look better if it had a pan. I have contacted Advantage Hobbies, Fliton, etc with no luck.
Thanks.
Mark
Old 08-24-2009, 02:29 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Mark,

Your going to have to make one,..if I was closer to you I'd make it for you my friend.[8D] I have no idea why you can not get one,...........Alex could pull one from a kit and have the factory replace it?

Wish I could help you more,................

Bill Holsten
Old 08-24-2009, 02:54 PM
SanJoseDale

Zoli, I run a 21 in prop, at least 1 in. clearance, BUT, I have since switched to the Graphtech gear. The Airborne models didn't last too long in a little run off the runway onto the weeds
Old 08-24-2009, 03:14 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: mradcliff

HELP!
I have an Element 170 that needs a new belly pan. Can anyone help me find one new or used? I'm flying it w/o a pan and it sure would look better if it had a pan. I have contacted Advantage Hobbies, Fliton, etc with no luck.
Thanks.
Mark
Mark look for someone who crashed theirs upside down.
Mike
Old 08-24-2009, 08:17 PM
mradcliff

Bill,
I called Alex today and he actually answered the phone! Long story he can't just order a couple from China he must order a hundred. Too much money...he doesn't have that kind of capital etc etc. I told him his reputation for service is very poor. He was aware his service was not good he just doesn't have the capital. Pretty soon he won't have the company. You're right I'm going to have to build one. It will be a winter project. I appreciate your help as always.
Mark

Old 08-25-2009, 01:09 PM
AmericanSpectre505

Mark,

In defense of Alex,..being a Factory Team pilot at one time for Fliton,...his hands are somewhat tied,........he's not an owner that I am aware of (Global Marketing Director). Mr. Lee is the owner and the one that needs to start working out a service plan for the pattern products that are being sold and used in the good Ol'e USA. The factory has his contract to produce them,..I think a half dozen of them isn't asking to much. Ofcourse, if Advantage Hobby was to actually get the entire line of pattern ships released for Fliton, including the bipe and the composites they might just sell more. And more people might just start endorsing the product better.

PS: I have the Element 30 F3A,..ordered it from Advantage Hobby. That is a sweet flying little plane,...nothing but good things to say about it.

Bill Holsten

Advantage Hobby Fliton Field Rep/Custom Airframes of America/Dragon Fire Customs/Guardian America.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:27 PM
luckyflyer

Hello all, I'm starting the build of my 170 and I have a few questions. First is there an assembly manual for this airplane? I've been up to Flitons website and what they call a manual is nothing more than surface throw and cg recommendations. My assembly question is that I have some hitec 5985mg servos that I'm going to try in this airplane but the mounting holes on the servo's barely reach the wooden surfaces that the servo mounts to in the wing. The 5985 is a full sized servo. have others ran into this? Is there an adaptor that is used?

Thanks
Luckyflyer
Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 PM
grotto2

Lucky-
I have the manual, but it contains no assembly instructions. It consists of some setup information only, which I found fairly useless. I derived all assembly information from this thread, especially observing the photos posted by other builders.
I ran into the same servo problem you mention and simply cut new plates (rectangles of aviation ply) the size of the existing servo boxes. Cut holes in these plates for your servos and glue them into place.
-Ron
Old 09-12-2009, 11:07 PM
luckyflyer

Thanks,Grotto2
Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 PM
mradcliff

I need a canopy for the F3a Element. Doe anyone know where I can get one?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Zoli

Mark,

Sorry, I can't help you with the canopy, but I am interested in your thoughts on the Element (i.e. CG, setup, etc.).

I've been flying mine for about a year now. I'm settled in with my setup and like the way it flyies, but I am interested in getting some feedback on how others have them set up.

I'm running mine with an os 160. I have about +0.5 degrees on the wing, the stab is at 0 and my CG is close to stock. The CG will change during the flight as I had to put the tank behind the firewall (long story). I'd actually say that I'm a bit nose heavy, but it seems to snap ok. However, snaps can be a bit sluggish because I tend not to switch to higher surface deflections during my flight.

I don't know anyone else that's flying the Element, so please share your experience. Do I have it set up right or is there a better setup?

Thanks, Zoli