Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Xoar Wood PJH-E F3A Electric Propellors

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:28 PM
gene webber
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xoar Wood PJH-E F3A Electric Propellors

Hi Guys, Anyone tried these propellors for F3a electric pattern ships? http://www.xoarintl.com/props/ma.html Where do you get em", how do they compare with APC?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:50 AM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Xoar Wood PJH-E F3A Electric Propellors

Jerry Budd tried a xoar. I know he didn't run it for long. That's about all I know Gene.

Chris
Old 01-17-2009, 09:48 PM
louisben36

they seem to work fine on this.......http://vimeo.com/2754555
Old 01-17-2009, 11:08 PM
gene webber

Hey Chris, how's it goin'? Do you know if it was this apparently new F3A prop or one of the other E-Props Xoar offers? Just curious, because I can't seem to locate anyone on the net who has the PJH-E version listed for sale.

I'm thinking there may be less flex and flattening-out with a wood prop versus nylon. Theory sometimes doesn't work-out though, proof is in the performance. Just thinkin' out-loud.

Gene
Old 01-17-2009, 11:35 PM
patternflyer1
My Feedback: (11)

It was last year early in the year. Not sure really. I could call Jerry and find out if you want. I would guess it was the older version Gene.

Chris
Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 AM
gene webber

Naa, it's no big deal, someone will chime in perhaps with what this propellor is all about.

Gene
Old 04-14-2012, 06:17 AM
Roberto B.

So, it seems like no one uses the Xoar props in pattern.
So, I presume nobody is able to tell me how much could be safe to turn an electric Xoar prop on an OS gt33.... or ar least what's their rpm safe limit.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I just got a pair of Xoar PJN props (electric, but not F3A). Hoping to get out tomorrow to try them. I got 18x13, will be comparing to APC 18x12e. I wanted a little more top speed, so Xoar was an option.

Why do you want to try electric props on a gas engine?? There are Xoar props for glow/gas.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Roberto B.

I know. Just to have more choice of pitches. Gas props end up to 10".
Old 04-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Jetdesign

You can check "R see groops dot calm" - lots of those guys running Xoar props.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Roberto B.

Ahaha...!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Jetdesign

There is quite a large report on that site, testing several different props with lots of data. General consensus is that Xoar is the best bang for the buck. APC is the standard, and measuring overall thrust gain versus energy consumption, the Xoar appears to be the winner. Of course they didn't test 20"+ props (yet?)...

Too windy today to fly anything (except maybe a picnic table or at least a few chairs), so still no experience with my Xoar 18x13 props.

I am waiting to find the battery/motor/prop combination I like the best in each of my planes, then plan on moving to carbon/composite props. I tried one of the 'old' APC props that were a bit thinner, to hear/see/feel the difference between that and a more rigid, 'new' APC. You can really hear and feel the energy being wasted. Now I understand what that feels like, I have a good feeling there is still energy wasted in the newer props; I think there are sounds that don't need to be there, ie losses in pressure
Old 05-13-2012, 01:52 PM
dando

Sorry for the off-topic, but regarding wooden props, has anyone tried one of these: Turnigy Cherry wood 21x14 or Turnigy Type A Beech wood 21x14 on a pattern aircraft? How do they compare to APC? Are they heavier or lighter, or do they come unbalanced? I'm in a search of 20x15 and 21x14 APC E props, but these seem to be hardly available in Europe.
Any other opinions on these prop sizes, including appropriate web shops in Europe or abroad (with cost-effective shipping) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Nickolay
Old 05-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Jetdesign

Turnigy props are JUNK!!! I have some, they look very nice, like copies of the Xoar props. If you look closely at the airfoil profile, there are areas where the machining was never finished; there are large flat areas on the leading edges, from the hub to about 25% of the way down the blade. I used a Turnigy 18x10 for a few days, then one day switched to APC (old style nonetheless) 18x10, and not expecting the difference I almost had the plane jump off the ground at my feet pulling onto the runway. Sure the APC pulls more amps, because its generating a LOT more thrust.

I have some Xoar 18x13props that I just started using; current draw is low, prop is quiet and performance is good, but nothing yet to compare it to as this is on a newly converted plane.

I don't know what F3AUnlimited.com will charge for shipping, but they have a good selection of carbon props. Towerhobbies has APC and Xoar and they ship international, again not sure of the pricing.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield

Why do you want to try electric props on a gas engine?? There are Xoar props for glow/gas.
The electric woodies from XOAR will work fine on a gas engine as long as they are reinforced or "case hardened" with carbon cloth first. I would not trust those wood blades to work for very long without case hardening first.

This type of prop is very thin and light and is better than wood props built for gas and glow straight up.... I laminate XOAR electric woodies with carbon braided sock and epoxy. Produces a well performing product at a very reasonable weight for gasoline/glow engines. The 19x13 MDK hybrid weighs 78 grams and the 20x10, 75 grams. This approach is a little pricy and time consuming compared to APC plastic props that you buy off the shelf, but if you are so inclined, lamination is reasonably straight forward and the weight savings is outrageous