Futaba R6008HS and Jeti ESCs?

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Futaba R6008HS and Jeti ESCs?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:18 AM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Futaba R6008HS and Jeti ESCs?

Has anyone been running the Jeti ESCs (or CC or Shultz) with the new Futaba R6008HS receiver? In High Speed mode, you are only supposed to use digital servos and I was wondering if the current ESCs are ok with the 7ms frame rate. The instructions for the HS receiver say it is ok but would like to know if someone has actually flown a electric plane with the HS turned on and driving a Jeti or like ESC.

Woodie
Old 05-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba R6008HS and Jeti ESCs?

I'll let you know later today. I have a Hacker/Jeti ESC in my plane with a new 6008. I've been flying it in normal mode to get used to it and plan to switch to high speed mode today. My throttle is on channel 6, which is one of the HS channels. If it does not act right then I will simply move the throttle to channel 7 or 8, which regardless of the selected mode remain at the 14ms frame rate.

FWIW this mode has been available in Futaba surface receivers for a few years. I have only come across one ESC that I could not run in the high speed mode and that was a Schulze 40.160. My Schulze 105wo worked fine as did Castle Hydra 120 and Etti 150.

Typically what happens if the ESC is not compatible with the HS mode is that it simply will not arm. It does not damage the ESC in any way.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:03 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Be sure and let us know if the quicker frame rate can be felt and if it is required in order to beat the young guys. Note that everyone is young compared to me.

Jim
Old 05-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Silent-AV8R

Sadly I am not optimistic that it is a magic bullet, but simply just the next step in the constant evolution of our radio systems. Regardless of what happens with radio technology I fear that it will still be the person with the most talent and who practices the most that will end up winning.!!
Old 05-03-2009, 03:03 PM
woodie

ORIGINAL: OhD

Be sure and let us know if the quicker frame rate can be felt and if it is required in order to beat the young guys. Note that everyone is young compared to me.

Jim
I have flown my 6008HS and I would say it is slightly noticeable. However, since most of our flying pretty 'smooth' with few abrupt inputs, my guess is it doesn't buy us too much in pattern. The 3D and Heli guys might benefit with quicker RX response tho.

I just increased my expo slightly (5%) and it felt pretty much the same.

But, if you have pots in the TX needing replacement, these newer systems with higher resolution and faster processing really show that up big time!!! Don't ask me how I know..... ;-(

Woodie

Old 05-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Silent-AV8R

I flew today with the RX in high speed mode. First of all the Hacker Opto 90 armed just fine. No issues there. However, I had one odd thing happen that made me land before I got a chance to see if I could "feel" a difference. Very early in the fight I got an odd aileron command, either that or I got hit by one very weird gust. Regardless, I landed right away just to be safe. I flew two more uneventful flights with it back in normal mode.

I do not have a coil on the lead from the ESC to the RX. I plan to put one on just for grins.

I also agree about the HS mode really being there for the heli stick bangers. Those guys say they can feel the difference in transit time between 0.06 second servos and 0.10 second servos.

No my thumbs!!

But all in all, I have about 20 flights on the 6008HS in normal mode and it has been rock solid. The weird deal today was just that, weird. No other control oddness, just the one quick flick of aileron, or so it looked and felt. Steve Hannah witnessed it so we know it was real and it looked too much like a commanded roll, but it was a bit gusty and bumpy, so who knows. And again, this was on a verticl upline just before kicking over for a hammerhead (still on the upline but slowing).
Old 05-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Derek.Koopowitz

Your issue with the quick aileron roll may be related to your stick encoders... have you had them checked/replaced recently?
Old 05-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Derek.Koopowitz

Your issue with the quick aileron roll may be related to your stick encoders... have you had them checked/replaced recently?

Nope, and I need to get that done. But it does not explain why it only happened that one time when the RX was in high speed mode and at no other time with this plane. I also fly 3 other models with this same TX without any odd uncommanded control motion.

But I suppose it is possible that as was mentioned above it shows up pot issues early on. If so, good to know!!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Derek.Koopowitz

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Nope, and I need to get that done. But it does not explain why it only happened that one time when the RX was in high speed mode and at no other time with this plane. I also fly 3 other models with this same TX without any odd uncommanded control motion.

But I suppose it is possible that as was mentioned above it shows up pot issues early on. If so, good to know!!
The one thing about the encoder issue is that it is random. You may only notice it occasionally and not every flight.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 AM
Silent-AV8R

The one thing about the encoder issue is that it is random. You may only notice it occasionally and not every flight.
I hate that!! Why are electronics like that? I prefer mechanical systems, a part breaks, it stays broken until you fix it. None of this hide and seek intermittent crap!!

At any rate, my 14 is off to the shop for a test and tune hopefully their magic scopes and such can help them find any looming issues.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:04 AM
woodie

Unfortunately, the radio manufacturers have not taken advantage of the technical capabilities to minimize the AD (analog to digital on the TX side) and DA (digital to analog on the RX side). We are still using 'pots' that wear, basically creating electronic 'slop'. The pot movements and subsequent resistance value changes are very low. On the TX side, we are basically using a very small part of the pot to measure our throws. The pots in the 14/12Z are capable of approx 330 degrees of throw, yet we use about 30 degrees as full movement. Now we divide that up into approx 2048 steps (analog again) and transmit that to a RX, the RX now tries to do the same thing in reverse with a servo using the same analog technology. The center position of our 'pots' takes a terrible beating from wear. Since we use electronic trim, the stick pots are always on the same center point. The old style mechanical trims actually moved the pots to achieve trim changes. On servos, we can 'cheat' in an emergency and do the old subtim trick to move the center on the servo off one spline and have a less worn center.

The original pots in the 14/12Z were rated at 1 million wear cycles. Sounds like a lot, huh. But just imagine every time the stick moves, even the slightest bit, that is a wear cycle around center. Fortunately, the newer pots are rated at 10 million cycles which should stretch out the replacement time.

Now, we add to that, higher resolution, coreless/brushless servos and lower TX/RX latencies being effected by this wear. This problem is not going to get better, my bet is it will continue to be problematic until the radio manufactures go to optical or some other electronic technology to replace the 'pot'. I wouldn't hold my breath tho, the cost of that servo would be pretty high seeing as how you would buy it once, probably not repair it for a very long time (less parts and service income for manufactures to offset R&D).

But I still love my 14MZ.... it's just having a few issues in it's teenage years..... a stern talking to (pot replacement) will last for a couple more years. ;-)

Woodie
Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Silent-AV8R

I flew my 14MZ this weekend after getting it back from service. They replaced the stick pots, screen, and encoder board. I put 9 flights on it this weekend and it worked perfectly. The 6008HS was set to HS mode and my Hacker Opto-90 had no issues. I also got a chance to fly a new set of the ThunderPower 5300 mAh 20C ProLite V2 packs. They clearly pack mor punch and carry through better with a higher voltage under load than most cells. Nice packs.

BTW - I buy all my lipos from [link=http://www.rclipos.com]RC Lipos[/link]. Great service and prices and free worldwide shipping. They are located in SOCAL and do a great job. The PolyRC line they sell are the same packs that many know as PolyQuest. 100% Enerland cells and very good packs. I have a large number of these packs and they are very good. But I am liking the TP ProLites in the Abbra!.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Derek.Koopowitz

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

I flew my 14MZ this weekend after getting it back from service. They replaced the stick pots, screen, and encoder board. I put 9 flights on it this weekend and it worked perfectly. The 6008HS was set to HS mode and my Hacker Opto-90 had no issues. I also got a chance to fly a new set of the ThunderPower 5300 mAh 20C ProLite V2 packs. They clearly pack mor punch and carry through better with a higher voltage under load than most cells. Nice packs.
Glad to hear that you did not have any issues at all. I've had mine replaced 2x in the past 2 years... not due to problems I've had but Hobbico has seen fit to replace them for me when I've sent the TX in for service.