Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Hyperion nano technology batteries

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:11 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hyperion nano technology batteries

Any pattern guys tried these. They look good on paper with about 1.5 milliohm IRs.

Jim
Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 PM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hyperion nano technology batteries

Tried a pair(in series) of G3 CX 25C 5S 5000mah packs today in a pattern plane. This was the 3rd cycle on the packs. Stayed above 18v per pack or 3.6v per cell until near the end of a 2700mah run. Also ran a pair of Hyperion 5350mah 16C G2 packs which were on their 15th cycle, 2600mah run

The NEUF3A-1 motor is very strong and I almost never get to full throttle, so I didn't take advantage of the available power increase. Ambient temp was 72F. G3 pack came down at 87, G2 aat 95.

Each pack weighed 628gm rather than the 618gm that was specified in data sheet. Wish they would come out with a lighter pack.

Price is right at $160. They really lowered the price on the new generation packs.
Available at http://www.allerc.com/index.php?cPath=3_4_93

Below is Eagle tree data for a Masters routine and a few extra manuevers,10-15mph winds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49084.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1197610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64454.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	1197611  
Old 05-14-2009, 04:17 AM
Marc W

Running a set of 4200 35C's (VX) in my Oxia Beryll. Haven't put it through the Eagle Tree yet, but after about 15 cycles I can definitely feal the difference between the older 5350's (CX) - which are now on about 60 cycles.
One thing that caught me out, was that the G3 Lipos pushed me OVER the noise limit at the last contest - seems that with these bats, I get another couple of RPM - Damn... must get that Eagle Tree in there!

Nice thing is that I am charging them at 2C on the Hyperion DUO2 and they are ready to go in about 23 min!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Marc W
Nice thing is that I am charging them at 2C on the Hyperion DUO2 and they are ready to go in about 23 min!
One thing to note is that despite the hype, charging at greater than 1C will in fact reduce the cycle life. One private test I know of showed a 37% loss in cycle life charging at 2C versus 1C. You don't get something for nothing with batteries!! So you can charge at 1C and get the higher number of cycles or you can charge faster and pay the price of fewer cycles. But you cannot get both longer life and faster charging together.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Marc W

Yip... you are correct, as they say... there's no free lunch []

My plan is to constantly charge one specially marked flight set at 2C, while using a 1C charge rate on the other packs (all the same 4200's) and as I log each and every charge that I do, I'll be able to see exactly what the "price" of a fast charge is over the life of the packs.
As I am currently practicing for the W/C in Portugal in 3 months time, I am planning to put in about 300-400 flights, so the data should be available quite soon.

My thinking is... if it's a +/- 40% loss in cycles, yet the G3 Lipos offer 4 X longer cycle life, I'm still comming out on top compared to older Lipos... and for less $

Marc