Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

YGE 80 HV Speed Controller

Old 06-01-2009, 11:40 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YGE 80 HV Speed Controller

I recently purchased a YGE80 HV Speed Controller from Chris Moon, USYGE and Delro distributor. I had Chris setup the controller just like he uses it with his Plettenberg 30-10 EVO since I have the same setup. I'm sure Chris will gladly post the settings along with some photos of the controller.Chris also has some good instructions on setting up the controller on his www.electric-f3a.com website.

I have 14 flights on it so far and it has functioned quite well. The controller definitely runs cool for its size. I am running a 20.5X14 APC prop with it. My initial ground test on a fresh set of True RC 5000 packs yielded a reading of around 83 amps and roughly 3000 watts.Iforgot the exactreadings.

Chris recommended setting the top end of my throttle curve at 85% which I did. I took additional readings before my first test flight of my new Integral. Readings were around 70ishamps /2400 plus watts on old 100 plus flight Duralite 5350 packs that are gettting tired. I used thesepacks just to take a reading and dosome ground testing before Itest flew my new Integral. Ihave not takenany readings with the newer TrueRCpacksthat Ihaveyet at the 85%throttle curve setting. This setup worked just fine with plenty of powerin a contest this weekend with some breezy conditions. I was really happy with the performance with this setup and did pretty good competitively with a plane that only had 6 flights on it.

The really nice thing about this controller is its weight which is around two ounces. I needed every bit of weight savings that this controller afforded in order safely meet the 11 pound weight limit. Otherwise I'd be flying wheel pantless and would have had to do a few other things to creatively meet weight using acontrollerthat was roughly twicethe weight of the YGE. I am now an ounce under and will change a few more things to hopefully get rid of up to another ounce to be safe.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:56 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: YGE 80 HV Speed Controller

Joe that's good news. Can you tell me what True 5000 pack your refering too. The 15C or the 10C?
I just starting some testing on my setup on my new Sickle. Thanks, Mike Mueller
Old 06-01-2009, 12:06 PM
J Lachowski

ORIGINAL: mups53

Joe that's good news. Can you tell me what True 5000 pack your refering too. The 15C or the 10C?
I just starting some testing on my setup on my new Sickle. Thanks, Mike Mueller

I'm using the 10C packs.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:21 PM
mups53

Wow that's great news. I've only done testing with the 15C True's and the 20CRhino's.
I have 3 10C True packs 2 have 100 cycles and one of them is starting top lay down a bit. I have 1 brand new pack that I'm saving for the Nats because I need the weight savings that the 10C gives me. I also needed the YGE to make weight on my Fatboy Sickle.
My Integral has a built up wing and makes weight with a heavy AXI motor and a CCHV85 but I'd have to lose some syuff for it to make weight with the higher C packs. Thanks, Mike
Old 06-01-2009, 12:42 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

The YGE 80HV controller is listed at 57g with all wiring or about 2oz. Programming card operates by using the buttons and LED's to select the parameters and values that you want. It is not simply a shorting plug type of programming card.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60354.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	1210159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47467.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1210160  
Old 06-01-2009, 01:04 PM
J Lachowski

Ihave four sets of the 10C True RC packs with 19,25,17, and11 flights that I picked up over the last six months. I've got two more sets coming which should get me through this season and next. The 3 sets of old Duralites I have are getting near the end(purchased in 2007). They are practice packs or are used as separate 5S packs in my Angel S 50. With the two more sets I am purchasing, my Honda generator will be getting very littleuse. <g>
Old 06-01-2009, 03:52 PM
elan120
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Joe,

Did you noticed any performance difference between the YGE and Castle?

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 06-02-2009, 07:03 AM
J Lachowski

Ihave only had experience with the C50 13XL and Hacker controller on a 2M ship prior to this. I know Chris has done some side by side comparison. I believe his data is onhis elecric-f3a website.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 AM
mups53

I spent some time on the phone with Chris Moon last night to learn the programming card. I'm anything but an electronic wiz. After working with it a little I found it to be pretty easy to deal with.
I still have some more testing to do with my new plane and the YGE/Pletty/ Rhino/ True RC 15C/TRue RC 10C combinations that I'm using.
One thing that I can see the need for is to clone my plane settings into 3 different versions for each set of lipo's that I'm using. I've found that the high C lipo's dump so fast that you easily end the flight with little or no power left vs: the 10C lipo's which while not as powerful act as a govenor on your power.
I think I can set the higher C lipo's at a lower curve setting to stop the over use I give them.
Also the trim changes are pretty significant because the weights of the lipo's are all over the place.This is another reason the multipleplanes on thetransmitteris an advantage.
True 15C's are around 46 ounces
Rhino's 20C's around 45 ounces
True 10C's around 43 ounces
In my Fatboy Sickle the weights are a problem because I have the heavierlipo's as far forward as I can get them for CG.
Reason for all the differnet lipo's? Weights to make 11lb limit and just what I have right now.
Mike
Old 06-02-2009, 01:07 PM
elan120

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the reply. I will see if I can find some time this weekend to do some comparison testing. The only thing Iam not very clear yet is the proper sequence to activate the brake on YGE in flight, but I should have some time later this week to see if I can figure out how to set it up on my radio so I can test it this weekend.

Kevin

ORIGINAL: J Lachowski

Ihave only had experience with the C50 13XL and Hacker controller on a 2M ship prior to this. I know Chris has done some side by side comparison. I believe his data is onhis elecric-f3a website.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:48 PM
J Lachowski

ORIGINAL: elan120

Hi Joe,

Thank you for the reply. I will see if I can find some time this weekend to do some comparison testing. The only thing Iam not very clear yet is the proper sequence to activate the brake on YGE in flight, but I should have some time later this week to see if I can figure out how to set it up on my radio so I can test it this weekend.

Kevin

ORIGINAL: J Lachowski

Chris had set up the brake feature on mine, but I do not use braking. I fly with a low idle all the time.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:31 AM
mups53

I posted this on Chris'ssite but didn't know who reads which one so here's the post again. Sorry if you read both. Mike

OK guys I think I can say this with confidence.
I like the YGE a lot. I'm sure that it gives me more power than my old setup with less mils being used. In short the claims that it's more efficient seem to be a reality. I don't have the statistical data to back it up because that's not my forte but I can tell you that the claims seem to be true based on what my eyes are seeing.
I had to come down on my ATV settings dramatically from where I was with the Castle.
I'm not dissing Castle I'm just telling you that I like this better. They have a great ESC and the cost is far less. I also needed the weight savings the YGE allows 2.5 ounces is a ton to me because both of my planes are borderline on making the 11lb limit.
Cooling is critical with the YGE and I suggest you get it into the best position possible in your plane. Check your temps right when you land and try not to exceed 110 degrees F. Don't know what that is in C. sorry. If your consistetly above that I suggest a drop in you ATV till you get below that all the time.
Also I suggest you limit your amps on your ATV's or in my case a throttle curve or you'll pull too much from your packs.
My new setup makes my True 10C's feel like my 20C Rhino's on my old setup. I'm using about 3500 mils on my AXI F3A for a Masters pattern about 7.5 minutes. My True 10C's seem very powerful now. The 4900 mil Rhino 20c's are ballistic. Again the downside to them is an additional 3 ounces vs the True's or the Zippy 5000 15C's which are a very good option too.
I fly big and I fly fast so I probably use more mils than most people in a flight. I've limited the Static Amps to about 75 on full throttle using a APC 20.5x14.
By the way that's a heck of a prop for all conditions.
Thanks Chris for making these available to us. E. stuff is getting better all the time. I'm a pretty happy camper with the way things are working out lately. Mike Mueller
Old 07-18-2009, 08:39 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How critical is the 110 F temperature? We are almost that high ambient right now. Would an aftermarket heat sink help with that at all?

Tom
Old 07-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Chris Moon

The 110 degrees mentioned is not a hard limit. Larry K. flew the controller in 102F ambient temp at a contest in S.C. and had no issues at all. You just need adequate direct cooling air and you will be fine.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Chris Moon

YGE controllers were used by 4 pilots at this year's NATS (3 in Masters and 1 in Intermediate) with zero heat or other issues and top finishes of 4th in Intermediate and 10th in Masters.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to know, thanks Chris.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Aresti-RCU

What you guys mean with TrueRC 10C batteries? 10C discharge capacity or 10 Cells?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Chris Moon

A lot of us have been successfully using the True RC 10C 5000 packs. (50 amp continuous and 75 amp burst). Yes, we exceed the burst limit in static pulls but the batteries are definitely under rated as far ac "C" rating. True RC knows the numbers we run and has always been ok with it.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:17 AM
J Lachowski

At the NATS, in the strong winds, I was typically putting back around 3900 plus ma in my TP 5300 Prolite V2's. I was not holding back. Afterall, it was the NATS<g>.

To date, controller heat has not been an issue. I currently have 90 flights on it in my Integral using a Plettenberg 30-10 EVO on an APC-E 20.5X14 prop. If I didn't have the YGE, I'd be flying without wheel pants.<g>
Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Chris Moon

There are updated programming instructions as well as an F3A specific demonstration video posted at:

http://www.electric-f3a.com/Connecti...0Operating.htm
Old 04-18-2010, 05:01 AM
dtarm1

I live in Stuttgart,  Germany.  If anyone is having trouble finding the YGE controllers or any other Germany made item I can get them, let me know.  I am an enthusiest just like anyone else and know how hard it is to find the high end products.