Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

VenusII Electric Set up

Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 PM
cvause

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VenusII Electric Set up

I'm thinking about setting up an electric Venus II and was curious if anyone had done this before. All I could find on the web was a post on another site from a few years ago.

With the price on HobbyCity lipos and motors, it looks cheaper to run an electric VII vs glow. If anyone has an actual or suggested setup, let me know.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2009, 11:36 PM
woodie

Default RE: VenusII Electric Set up

We have 2 Venus II e-powered planes flying here in Sacramento. Both are using the AXI 4130 and 6S 5000 packs. They are being used effectively in Intermediate pattern competition. I believe they are both right at 9 lbs with batteries. The motors are mounted on the original firewall using 1/4-20 studs. Simple and effective.

Woodie
Old 07-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Ed Lyerly

cvause,
I did one several years ago. It has had everything from 7S to 10S ...... see the thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=Venus+II

If I were doing it today. Power 110 (or similar 300 KV outrunner) 8S Zippy Rhino 3700 (2-4S packs in series) , Jeti Advance Opto 77 (or equivalent) and a 17x10 APC-E prop. Expect it to weigh approximately 9.5 lbs and make 2000 watts.
Ed
Old 07-02-2009, 12:23 PM
cvause

Ed,

That is a great thread. Thanks.

Did you put batteries in the removable canopy? I saw how you modified the canopy to make it removable, but I'm not sure if you used it a battery location.

My concern is that the E-Venus could get nose heavy quickly and I want to minimize any lead requirements to get the proper CG.

Thanks
carl
Old 07-02-2009, 01:16 PM
Ed Lyerly

Hi Carl,
You are welcome
The batteries go under the canopy .... not in it. See the pictures under post #1. The battery pack actually sits on top of the wing.
In earlier versions .... 7S, 9S, & 10S I put the batteries under the wing in the removable fuselage fairing. KE flight is much better with the batteries on top of the wing.
Put your servos in the tail, this leaves plenty of room to slide the battery pack rearward (if necessary) to adjust the CG to your preference. I like mine considerably behind the recommended point (helps to drop the tail and really slow down for gentle landings).
Ed