Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Charger - Battery Protection

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 AM
EHFAI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Charger - Battery Protection

I recently had a well known LiPo charger develop an internal short across the output. The charger finished charging a pack fine, but when connecting the next pack a major arc removed a good deal of the connector. The manufacturer confirmed that there was an internal component failure and promptly replaced the unit (the thing was new and only used half a dozen times.) This could have been really bad if the short had occurred mid-charge with the batts fully connected.

I suspect that installing an inline fuse in the leads between the charger and batts would be prudent. In-line fuse holders are readily available (Radio Shack, auto parts suppliers, etc.) Probably something in the 20A slo-blow range will work.

Earl
Old 07-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Charger - Battery Protection

It would be good to know what charger it was since if it is as popular as you say others may own it and should be aware that this can happen.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:39 PM
EHFAI

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Charger - Battery Protection

In this particular case it was a CellPro 10S, just be aware that a similar failure could occur in other brands. I appreciate the rapid service in this case by the marketer.