Great Planes Sequence F3A

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Sequence F3A

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

Allan - I use that Rimfire, been on three planes (two crashes), no noises and plenty of poop on a good 4S. I did find running a 13.5 x 6 is a really good prop, doesn't go too fast, pulls on dead corners pretty well - but at wide open it is very close to max amps on the RImfire, so I upped the ESC to a 80 A, just to be sure it wouldn't ever cook. Max I ever measure with a fresh charge is about 65A, so I wanted some overhead capacity in the ESC.

I also am using a pretty rapid spool up throttle curve, so the low end has some guts to it...

Bob,

I’m reconsidering the bearings being the problem. While the motor noise is excessive, the motor certainly doesn’t lack power. Earlier this year I had a problem with the Torque motor bearings on my Vanquish. They needed lubrication. That motor got noisy but it also lost power. The Rimfire isn’t showing any power lost. I’m going to look into the ESC programming as a possible source of the noise.

Except for the noise, I’m satisfied with my power setup. I’ll be using the plane to practice Advanced maneuvers so I’m not requiring the performance someone would require of it for Master or FAI. Even with a 4000 mAh four-cell LiPo, the plane has sufficient vertical performance. Before someone comments that this battery is too large, let me say that I have two of them and I plan to wear them out before purchasing something more appropriate. Using the 12x8 APC prop, the max current draw was less than 47A which should keep the 50A ESC happy.

After only the one maiden flight to judge by, the plane seems to be well mannered. The elevator and aileron response was too much for my taste. I may have to look into installing some longer control horns. With the CG just behind the recommended point, the plane did require a bit of up trim. It may have to be until next spring before I have a chance to trim the plane properly.

Allan

Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 AM
Flyer88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plane needs up trim because the incidence is out on this aircraft. The rear stab is way too positive.

Put a meter on it and see.....

The wing with refence to the canopy line is +.3 and the stab is + 1.5 ??????

Old 12-06-2012, 07:50 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While the decalage is negative on mine as well, it is only about half as much.

Allan

Old 01-26-2013, 02:24 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well finally got my sequence in the air, one flight on a 2600mah battery, balanced with no lead with my motor and battery. I probably got 7-8 minutes before it started to fade and had pretty good vertical. I'm sure I it can really be improved with fine tuning on trimming and balancing, but my first impression is that its a great flier. Being a pattern plane it seems to overcome a lot of the twitchyness associated with small planes, its much, much more locked in than my 41" yak. By the way I had the same problem as everyone the canopy doesn't fit out of the box.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 AM
RalphZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is still in the box and bursting to get out! I'll start assembling it soon. No rush, it's freezing here on Long Island, NY. I expect it to be a great flier and I love the looks of it. I flew a Dirty Birdy years ago and enjoyed it a lot. Glad there are some observations and hints on it for assembly and flying to help me.
Ralph