Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Schulze ESCs

Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 PM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Schulze ESCs

Anyone recommending the Fut-32.80KA speed control from Schulze? Will the motor start in idle? Can you set fixed endpoints? Any downside?

Jim O
Old 11-17-2009, 08:51 PM
2Sunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Schulze ESCs

Talk to UAL767. He was testing the latest batch today, and is a true authority on all things Schulze.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

Actually, UAL767 goes to the oracle of Calgary - CAN773 to learn about all things Schulze.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 PM
patternjockey
My Feedback: (1)

"Oracle" - An oracle is a person or agency considered to be a source of wise counsel or prophetic opinion.

OMG I can see it now..... contact Chad at [email protected] [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

All in good humor... he does know his stuff... that's why I follow him. I use this esc and have nothing bad to say about it.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:27 PM
can773

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, geez, must be winter the comedians are out LOL

Jim to answer your questions, I have used Schulze controllers (both 32.55KA, and 32.80KA) for 5 years, have always had good luck with them in operation the Pletty's. Pletty and Schulze work closely together so their stuff usually works very good with each other. They certainly are not the fanciest available, but sometimes simplicity has its merits

The controller when set to the aerobatic mode, has fixed endpoints, a fully proportional brake (that can be set via the transmitter). So yes you can have an idle like a glow motor, and switch activate the brake if you wish.

I prefer the 32.80 because it can handle the power we typically use in F3A application with basically no forced cooling, so it gives a lot of operating ceiling since you can't always mount in the most optimum location.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:31 AM
Silent-AV8R

I've never used a Schulze ESC in a plane but I've used several in various boats from a 105 amp ESC in a 4S boat up to the 40.160WK in 4 different 10S2P boats. I've found them to be easy to program, easy to use, and rock solid, even when pushed to extremes in excess of their rated capacity.

I like them and have wondered why I do not see more in pattern planes. Maybe I'll give the 32.80 a shot in my next project.

I will say that the only downside is service if it is ever needed, which I have only needed once. A bit slow, but still satisfied with what they did. Just an FYI, the 40.160WK will NOT handle more than 275 amps.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:02 AM
OhD

Thanks for the inputs guys. I got spoiled by the YGE that would start smoothly at 400 rpm with the flip of a switch. This also means it goes from brake to idle with one click of the throttle stick on landings. The immediate problem is there are no YGEs to be bought.

I knew Chad had been running the Schulze successfully but I wasn't able to get any description of its functionality. Chris is getting me a set of instructions so maybe that will help me decide what to do.

Jim
Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 PM
OhD

Chad,

After reading the hints for the aerobatic version, I conclude neutral corresponds to zero rpm at 1.5 milliseconds and the speed is linear between 1.5 and 2.0 milliseconds. I also assume you need to be at 1.0 msec or below to arm the ESC. Given that I would assume that one could set the inflight condition up so the motor would idle at one click up on the throttle stick and brake with the stick all the way back. That would give a curve that jumped from some braking value between 1.0 and 1.5 msec to something just over 1.5 with one click of throttle. I would then expect I could set up an arming and idle condition so I could idle for taxi and takeoff. Have I got it right?

How do you set your throttle curve?

Jim
Old 11-20-2009, 08:24 PM
can773

Hi Jim

Sorry about not getting back to you, new baby, busy at work....I will get you an answer tonite and a pic of my throttle curve which should make more sense.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:33 AM
can773

ORIGINAL: OhD

Chad,

After reading the hints for the aerobatic version, I conclude neutral corresponds to zero rpm at 1.5 milliseconds and the speed is linear between 1.5 and 2.0 milliseconds. I also assume you need to be at 1.0 msec or below to arm the ESC. Given that I would assume that one could set the inflight condition up so the motor would idle at one click up on the throttle stick and brake with the stick all the way back. That would give a curve that jumped from some braking value between 1.0 and 1.5 msec to something just over 1.5 with one click of throttle. I would then expect I could set up an arming and idle condition so I could idle for taxi and takeoff. Have I got it right?

How do you set your throttle curve?

Jim
Hi Jim

Yes I think you have it, 1msec to 1.5 is brake, and 1.5 to 2 is power. How that translates to operational is strictly up to you! You could have it such that bottom stick to 1/2 stick is braking, and 1/2 to top is power etc. I prefer to have the brake on a switch inside a condition, I find I only use the brake on very specific maneuvers like the Fig 9 in P-09, and no where else. I have a minimum rpm idle the rest of the time.

Attached are two shots of my throttle curve. The first is in idle mode, and the second is with the brake switch activated. All the brake switch does is move the bottom part of the curve down. ATV's can be used to adjust the top and bottom ends and subtrim will affect where that transition between brake and power occurs. I usually setup the ATV top first, bottom second, subtrim third, then adjust the throttle curve to get it as close as I like.

The benefit of using a condition for the brake is for starting safety. In this situation it is not possible to arm the controller until the throttle stick is at the idle position and the brake switch is ON. With 14MZ the radio will alarm if a condition is on when the radio is turned on, and you are forced to move to the normal condition before the radio will proceed. In this case it makes it far less likely to arm the ESC accidentally even if the throttle stick is at idle.

Hope that helps a bit?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63162.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1317810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je11084.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1317811  
Old 11-22-2009, 01:38 PM
OhD

Thanks Chad,

Congratulations on the new addition. Is this the first?

Your curves make it clear how the Schulze is programmed. I set up a set of curves to duplicate yours and measured the resulting pulse widths. I don't know where your subtrim is set but that probably accounts for why your "idle" setting results in 1.19 msec and I needed to move the stick from -100 up to -61 to get to 1.5 msec. Does the subtrim have a different affect than the offset?

When you do use the brake do you pull the stick all the way back or do you use it in a proportional manner?

Jim