Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Castle Creations ICE HV ESC

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 04:30 AM
Jason Arnold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Castle Creations ICE HV ESC

G'day Guys,

Looks like Castle has released a new range of ESC's. The ICE HV range.

Looks like the ICE HV 80 would be the choice for F3A but a ICE HV 100 would probably be better(doesn't exist yet). The 80A ESC weighs in at 57 grams but that is without wires.. Why do they play games like this??? Who is going to buy one without wires.... lol

They now appear to offer full data logging.

Looks like a field programming box is on the way too. About time if you ask me.. Who wants to take a PC to the flight line????

Cheers
Jason.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Castle Creations ICE HV ESC

I'm stoked for these. Strange they went from 80A to 160A; a 100 or 110 would have been cool. Going to order the HV80 once they're in stock at the less expensive retail outlets.

For anyone interested, they have a fully programmable brake if you get the Castle Link. The settings without the Castle Link are either 50% or 100% brake, but with the Link it is adjustable from 0-100% in 1% increments.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:23 PM
F3A Nordic

For information i have one ICE100 not HV and weight with wire is 107g.
On package you can read 56,7g and nothing that weight is without wire.
After high logged reading amp 92A i have checked consumtion with calibrated meter and it was 81A,
10-11% to high logged by ESC.

ESC have been working fine.

I going for YGE80 or the new YGE90 for my sebart Wind S Pro and for same weight wires included.

/ Anders
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78426.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1321127  
Old 11-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Jason Arnold

Joe,

If you look at the Castle site, they say that other controllers are on the way. I assume that a 100A version will be forthcoming.

Take note of the ** after the amp rating... Need to have 5mph airflow over ESC.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:40 PM
R Le Besque

ORIGINAL: F3A Nordic

I going for YGE80 or the new YGE90 for my sebart Wind S Pro and for same weight wires included.

/ Anders
Where did you heard about YGE 90? Can't find any information about it.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Jason Arnold

Anders,

Look at the Castle site and it says the weight is without wires. To the unobservant, this might be misleading.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:57 AM
DaveL322

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a small clarification regarding the new line of data logging ICE ESCs from Castle....the 80 is not an "HV" ESC.

ICE HV is good for 12S (50 volts) and does not have a BEC. Available in 40, 60, 80, and 160 amp sizes.

ICE is good for 8S (34 volts) and has a 5 amp BEC. Available in 50, 75, and 100 amp sizes.

ICE Lite is good for 6S (25 volts) and has 5 amp BEC. Available in 50, 75, and 100 amp sizes.

The prior Phoenix HV line is still available (no data logging, no BEC) in 30, 45, 85, 110, and 140 amp sizes.

Castle previous advertised weights with wires....but has changed (with the ICE line) to advertising weights without wires to allow better comparison to other ESCs (many of which have advertised weights without wires).

I've run several of the ICE lite ESCs and found the data loggin to be very good compared to my Eagletree data logger. I do run high sampling rates (5 or 10x per second), and "screen" the data as occasional spikes (or lows) that are not really representative sometimes occur.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart
Team Castle Creations

Old 11-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Jason Arnold

G'day Dave,

Weight without wires would be fine if all ESC manufacturers did the same thing. The length of the wires variable would be eliminated and the consumer could truly compare apples to apples. Unfortunately, this is not the case. I have both Jeti and Castle ESC's and the Jeti is advertised to weight 110g when in reality it's 120g.

When do you expect the field programming box to be available? This is a great move.

Something else I'd like to see on your bigger ESC's is a better mounting method. Looks like you have done this on the ICE HV 160.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:00 AM
joenella

ORIGINAL: R Le Besque

ORIGINAL: F3A Nordic

/ Anders
Where did you heard about YGE 90? Can't find any information about it.
Believe me.
I have a bunch coming in very very soon of the YGE90HV.
Generaly it is an 80HV with updated FET's handling 90A

Old 04-20-2010, 08:11 AM
serious power

Hi,
I have just ordered some of these.
Anyone running a pletty 30/10 evo or similar with this.
Any problems ?? any advice ??

Brian
Old 04-20-2010, 06:51 PM
2Sunny

Hey Brian,

Forgive the obvious question, but given the number of mentions of YGE versus the original thread question on Castle just wondering what you meant by "these". If you meant this:

The [link=http://www.f3aunlimited.com/castle.html]Castle ICE 80HV[/link] then yes I am currently running one on a Delro E-Motion with a Pletty 25 - 12 and Chris Moon has run one on a Pletty 30 -10.

Pros: It has data logging built in! Bein' the geeky sort I love data so this is a big plus.

Cons: If you push the data logging to 10 Hz you'll get a funny banging noise, and unaltered the 80HV is a piggy 107g, and the efficiency is a smidge under its competitors according to friends who have tested it.

But, did I mention it has data logging built in

If on the other hand your talking about the YGE, I would say try a [link=http://www.f3aunlimited.com/jeti.html]Jeti Spin 75[/link] instead. Cheaper, more efficient, and lighter. Honestly I'm not sure why anyone would buy a YGE, but that's just one guys opinion so please let's not all get bent out of shape

Joe
Old 04-21-2010, 04:07 AM
serious power

Hi Joe,
Yes the actual subject matter 'Ice 80 HV '.
Just looking for feedback.
Not familiar with the spin at all but 75A seems marginal.We top the 80A mark often and have had the schulze 95 fail.
I am waiting to check out the new YGE90 as well.
Watch out for those noises and be mindful of coincidence, maybe change the sampling back to prove.

Brian
Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Alaska Reeves
My Feedback: (3)

HI, Would someone please post the settings they are using when running the Pletty Extra 30-10 on the Castle 80 ICE HV. Thanks a lot. Reeves.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:33 AM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: serious power

Hi Joe,
Yes the actual subject matter 'Ice 80 HV '.
Just looking for feedback.
Not familiar with the spin at all but 75A seems marginal.We top the 80A mark often and have had the schulze 95 fail.
I am waiting to check out the new YGE90 as well.
Watch out for those noises and be mindful of coincidence, maybe change the sampling back to prove.

Brian

Hey Brian,

I think you''ll love the Castle!

We must think a lot alike because the first thing I did yesterday was to move the sampling rate back and forth to experiment with the "backfiring" sound and sure enough I can produce it at will. Another gentlemen in another thread talked about hearing a clicking noise on the ground while testing the motor with no prop so, I'll try to get some video of that with the sample rate set to 10, 1, and 0. Plus I shot off an email to Castle yesterday as I have been told they are aware of the issue so perhaps I can get a response in writing.

It's not really a problem as a sample rate of 1 provides more than enough data for normal geeks like me and doesn't cause the noise.

As for the Jeti, I admit I'm biased 'cuz I have never had a problem with any Jeti I have owned. I would respond to your concern on the rating that the 75 Spin is rated 75 SUSTAINED while the Castle is rated 80 amps MAX with neither company mentioning a "burst" rating. I just sent an email to Jeti asking if they have a "burst" rating for the 75. I do have some actual experience with the 75, as prior to getting my Delro I put a little more than 2 dozen flights on my Integral with a Hacker C50 14XL comp that had one installed (I used the 75 to replace the monstrous 99). It always came down cool to the touch and never had a problem. Lastly I would mention that I have hit both escs with upto 88 or 89 amps static for a couple seconds on the ground with no failures yet [X(]

And as for Schulze, all I can say is that I have seen one fail as well and screech at high power, and now that the new ones are the same weight as Jetis and YGEs, I'm not sure I see a value from the added cost. I would note that I have never seen a properly used Jeti fail.

Anyways, enjoy your Castle and be sure to let us know how you like it.

By the way, do you know how you plan on setting up your throttle curve?

Cheers,

Joe
Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

While I've yet to fly with the new Ice HV80 the initial tests look good in my new plane. I put the new 3.2 version software in and it's paired to a new Himax 6330 F3A motor. I turned off all of the data collection features I could as I rely on others to help me on those figures. I do simple tests like watts, volts and amps off the watt meter. Check the RPM's and carefully monitor how many mils I pull out of a given pack along with temperatures. So far I have excellent results. I have an Eagle unit but I've never used it.
I also have one of the good YGE 80HV ESC's we all know some were bad and are still in the process of getting replaced. The advantage of the YGE was weight and efficiency in the beginning and the demand for them far exceeded their ability to produce even at the bloated prices they are getting. If the new YGE comes in at the same weight as the Ice HV80 it will reduce their advantage somewhat. The YGE stuff if it's right is very efficient. They do however need to stop doing R+D in our expensive planes. I believe they are taking a cautious approach for the 90 amp model release. Mike
Old 04-21-2010, 03:34 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: Alaska Reeves

HI, Would someone please post the settings they are using when running the Pletty Extra 30-10 on the Castle 80 ICE HV. Thanks a lot. Reeves.

Hey Reeves,

Although I am running a Pletty 25-12, my Castle settings came from a 30-10 powered Addiction.

Throttle
Airplane
Fixed Endpoints
Medium (5*)

Brake
40%
Immediate

Cutoff
Insensitive
Soft

Motor
Medium 59
Low
Forward
Outrunner

Other
enabled (pwr on beep)

HTH,

Joe
Old 04-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Dessie

Hi All,
Does anyone have settings for a HV 85 using 3.2 firmware with Pletty 30-10, using 20 x 13 APC Prop. the following is my settings unless someone can guide me differently?

Dessie

Brake Strength: 40
Brake Delay: .4 sec
Brake Ramp: Slow
Cutoff Voltage: 300
Current Limiting: Insensitive
Cutoff Type: Hard Cutoff
Motor Start Power: 39
Motor Timing: 0
Direction: Forward (*)
PWM Rate: 8 Khz
Hex55: 85
Vehicle Type: Airplane
Throttle Type: Fixed Endpoints
Throttle Response: 5
Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: Dessie

Hi All,
Does anyone have settings for a HV 85 using 3.2 firmware with Pletty 30-10, using 20 x 13 APC Prop. the following is my settings unless someone can guide me differently?

Dessie

Brake Strength: 40
Brake Delay: .4 sec
Brake Ramp: Slow
Cutoff Voltage: 300
Current Limiting: Insensitive
Cutoff Type: Hard Cutoff
Motor Start Power: 39
Motor Timing: 0
Direction: Forward (*)
PWM Rate: 8 Khz
Hex55: 85
Vehicle Type: Airplane
Throttle Type: Fixed Endpoints
Throttle Response: 5

Everything looks good except are you sure you want a "hard cutoff"? I prefer soft, but that's me

Joe
Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Dessie

Hi Joe,
Yeah I prefer the hard cut-off Then Im sure there is a problem immediatly, but that's me.

Dessie [8D][8D]
Old 06-12-2010, 11:19 AM
t57f100

hello i hope you can help me with some basic info on my ice 50 controller the temp out side was 65 today my flight was recorded at min 68 degress and avg at 98 degrees and max at 138 im nervous to know what will happen as the weather warms up to say 90 outside.in others words what is the max temp before the contoller stops.i also have a ice 75 i was told by someone that it would shut down at 150 degress.little nrevous as i lost an eflite stearman to an overheated contrller already and decided that both my hangar 9 d7 and my eflite stearman needed these controllers to keep me informed of my flights.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 PM
DaveL322

If you are seeing 180F plus, you should consider getting the ESC more cooling, but it will operate safely and not shutoff at temps substantially higher than that. I don't recall the exact number, but the ESC won't shut off due to high temp until it is 200+.

Regards,
Old 05-11-2011, 08:05 AM
s-chester

Hello
I am using Castle Creations ICE 80HV Software Version 3.2 together with platenberg 30 10 evo & Advance 30 brand new, I am very happy after all
had some number of flight & sum different setings
Motor and ESC work in harmony most of the flight

I have three questions:

1. In the take off & during the of straight line in to the down wind (Speed ​​accumulation) the ESC has "ticking" sound through the motor I have changed between 2 good working motors 30 10 evo & 1 Advance 30 10, the ticking sound was stil there
I have tried to improve soldering wires & connectors it affects nothing
In static test was no ticking sound
I was thinking that it comes from the ESC because I changed to test an old JETI SPIN and
it had no ticking noise with the same model & motors
Has anyone had a similar problem?

2.In setup brake more than 30%
There is Scratching noise in the transition between the brake and working rpm
even though different rpm commands & varies Throttle change rate
Is it acceptable?

3. What is the difference between a fixed frequency of 8KHZ to "outrunner mod" in the frequency selection menu options
an inruner a with 20 poles( platenberg Advance 30 10) is considered to be working with outrunner mod ?

Thanks in advance
Shlomi Chester
Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 PM
DaveL322

Schlomi,

I've not run the Advance, or similar large diameter direct drive inrunner. However, from running geared inrunners and direct drive outrunners, I'd offer the following

1. Try turning off the data logging, and see if the ticking goes away. Ticking can occur with outrunners when the logging memory is full.

2. It is not uncommon to have some amount of soft/quiet/gentle noise during restarts in the air, and I've never seen this cause a problem. If the noise you have is more of a screech or shriek, and is quite loud, it is the motor restarting abruptly, and this can loosen the spinner and prop (for which the solution is reduce the brake strength).

3. Outrunner mode is when the ESC will run at the frequency it determines to be the most efficient, and this will vary depending on the RPM and load on the motor. I've not seen this make much difference with inrunners, but it certainly can make a difference with high pole count outrunners.

Regards,
Old 05-13-2011, 07:55 AM
s-chester

It works very well, you did it again

Thank you Dave