Reload this Page >

Power switch for 10s. Any available?

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Power switch for 10s. Any available?

Old 11-29-2009, 12:54 PM
2Sunny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power switch for 10s. Any available?

Just wondering if anyone has made a commercially available power switch with a decent sized capacitor built-in for 10s? I've seen Hacker esc's with "spark arrestor" connections, but never a light weight power switch for pattern EP ships. My concern here is arming and disarming the EP ships for safe carriage onto and off of the field. I realize that a switch on the esc input would be effective, but somehow havin' all that power still connected even with the esc off gives me cause for concern.

Thanks,

JP
Old 11-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Silent-AV8R

Default RE: Power switch for 10s. Any available?

I use the Emcotec switch. Goes between the battery and ESC. I am using the 60/120 amp model. Works very nicely.

http://shop.rc-electronic.com/e-vend...11&c=764&p=764

You can get them in the US from HKM-USA:

http://www.hkm-models.com/Emcotec%20Switches.html

This device completely isolates the ESC from power until you remove the magnetic plug. I have an Abbra which requires putting the packs in from the bottom. This makes it no issue. Put the packs in, plug them in and everything is safe until you are ready to fly.

SPS - SafetyPowerSwitch 60V 60/120A

Electronic safety switch with anti flash protection.
The original! From the inventor of the "gas cap" switch

Electronic safety power switch for electric power systems
An anti-flash-circuitry prevents the dreaded sparks during connecting the battery
Separates the motor from the battery. The electric motor drive remains inactive and therefore non hazardous until activation
Finally you can work on your model without the fear of suddenly running motors
Shapely switch transmitter looking like a gasoline valve closer for simple mounting in the fuselage (an invention from EMCOTEC)
Completely contactless switching operation with an external magnet
An integrated ultra bright LED indicates the power-on state optically
High-class silicone connection cable of AWG 11 thickness
6-fold multilayer-board with up to 9 square mm copper width
For 6S up to 14S LiPo batteries (18V ... 60V)
60A continuous current and 120A peak current - perfect for F3A models
Here is the instruction sheet: http://www.hkm-models.com/images/Anleitung_SPS_EN.pdf
Old 11-29-2009, 01:40 PM
2Sunny

Perfect. Love that "remove before flight" design. Makes it almost fool proof. Now we'll have to see what the master builder thinks. He may balk at the 45gs, but I think it's a good safety gadget and worth the weight.

Thanks for takin' the time to answer!

JP
Old 11-29-2009, 03:38 PM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

Not so sure bout that. Put it in your pocket or somewhere before flight. Now, most of us will be concerned with the flight and not have out full attention given to its placement. If you cant find it after the flight surely there is a bigger problem than never having used it . .
Just my two cents worth.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Silent-AV8R

Never been an issue for me. They also make an actuator that uses a small pin instead of the larger magnet. For me the safety aspect far outweighs (get it?) the weight penalty. I much prefer knowing that the plane is absolutely unarmed or not. But to each their own. I know that my plane will not, and in fact cannot, ever start accidentally and injure me or anyone else. That peace of mind is worth 45 grams.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30925.gif
Views:	37
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	1323215  
Old 11-30-2009, 05:10 AM
serious power

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ntsmith

Not so sure bout that. Put it in your pocket or somewhere before flight. Now, most of us will be concerned with the flight and not have out full attention given to its placement. If you cant find it after the flight surely there is a bigger problem than never having used it . .
Just my two cents worth.
Hi,
What problem ??
Just disconnect the pack in the normal way !! , if lost it's just a magnet and they do spares (a spare with each unit supplied to begin with).
Attach a spare to your car keys.

Brian