Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

SEBART ANGEL 50e

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 03:08 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: SEBART ANGEL 50e

ORIGINAL: sideshow

Has anyone found the stock, right thrust to be insufficient? I just bolted my motor on assuming it would be enough....but I find I have to apply a lot of rudder with doing up-lines at full throttle. This is kind of disappointing as now I'll to add some washers and re-drill the cowl, or get a new one. I'd really like to hear what others have done...
Electric version pulling a 16 x10 and an IC version pulling 13 x 6 both use the stock side thrust and up lines are perfect.

What motor and what prop do you have on?

Mike
Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using a Turnigy AerodriveXp 90 SK Series 50-65 and an APC 16x10 prop.....
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
BaldEagel

Maybe you need to look elsewhere for the off up lines, perhaps lateral ballance pulling one wing over? doubtfull, but you never know, or perhaps an inadvertant stick movement when pushing throttle?

Any other traints that you have noticed?

All this is assuming that your motor does not produce more touque than my AXI.

Mike
Old 05-01-2010, 09:20 AM
tph1
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, Did you go with the suggested control throws? They look like 3D throws to me and I want more of a Pattern ship.
Tom
Old 05-01-2010, 10:38 AM
BaldEagel

Tom

I use the suggested throws on my middle rate setting, lower and higher on the other two, but on the high rate I have 60% expo and 40% elsewhere, I also have a landing setting that reflex's the ailerons up at low throttle to kill some lift and give wash out to the wings for slow landings.

Mike

Old 05-01-2010, 10:51 AM
tph1

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Tom

I also have a landing setting that reflex's the ailerons up at low throttle to kill some lift and give wash out to the wings for slow landings.

Mike

I don't have that capability on my Hitec Optic 6, I don't think. Does it land fast without the flaperons? I can't get 20* with the arms I have on my servos either. I get 15* and that looks like a lot. My CG came out spot on without adding any weight or moving much inside. As soon as this wind dies a little I will maiden it. It is 20mph and gusty now so it looks like tomorrow may be the day. Did you get anything unexpected?
thanks, Tom
Old 05-01-2010, 11:02 AM
BaldEagel

Tom

One massive thing that was unexpected was that it needed no trim whatsoever, not one beep, its still set up the same as originally, it shows its aerobatic potential by having to land with a bit of speed because it does not want to slow down, you need a fairly long flat approuch using the throttle to keep the Angel comming on and just lower the throttle and flair it onto the patch, the reflex on the ailerons kills the lift and allows a much more flaired landing, but not needed if you have a decent size patch, I fly off a farmers sheep field with a bit of cut grass in the middle, its only about 100ft long so I need to be acurate and slow.

You will be pleasently supprised how well the Angel fly's its one of the most accurate flying airframes I have come accross, composites excepted, have fun and let us know how you get on.

Mike
Old 05-01-2010, 11:14 AM
tph1

thanks Mike, I fly at a county land fill and it is huge with about 250' - 300' of cut grass runway. It will just take some getting used to. I had a Conquest years ago that I had to set up a flaperon like way to get it to come down also.
Tom
Old 05-01-2010, 12:24 PM
BaldEagel

Tom

I forgot you have an electric version, if you have a patch that long then you possibly wont need the reflexed ailerons, if you just keep a little power on, if the prop is turning slower than the speed forward i.e. 10" prop moving forward at 10" per revolution but airframe only flying at 6" per revolution you will get a little brake effect, it does not work as well as the reflex or an ESC with a braking function (only the Schultz has that, not the folding prop type brake) it will free wheel in the airflow, but will still have a little brake effect over its disc dia, but all of this is of no concequence in reality, it fly's so well you will enjoy it I am sure.

Don't forget to let us know how big a smile it gave you.

Mike
Old 05-01-2010, 04:06 PM
tph1

My only thing left to consider is the prop. The motor seemed to like the APC 16-8E on the Inspire so I guess I will start with that and then try the wooden Xoar 16-10E. The Xoar flew the Inspire to fast but that may be a good thing for the Angel.

Is the 50 size the biggest Angel there is? I saw on the Sebart site there was a 2m one a few years back, is that discontinued? Is there a 120 size?
Old 05-01-2010, 06:16 PM
BaldEagel

In my electric version I use an APC 16x10 to good effect.

2M Angels are available from YT International and C-ARF for about $4000.00 if you want one, they are not advertised you have to make a special order, hence $4000.00, as far as I know that's it, wait until you fly this one before you start looking for another. LOL

Mike
Old 05-01-2010, 06:28 PM
tph1

I didn't mean I was going to buy one before I got to know this one, I was just curious, at $4K a pop, I will remain curious
Old 05-20-2010, 01:21 PM
efliernz

I'm a sportsman pilot with 12 flights on my Angel 50e now. I had really bad timing problems with my Turnigy 50-65 400Kv motor (3 esc's, variable timing, tried everything) and have just re-engined it with the Turnigy SK 42-60 500Kv motor.
Here is a video (gusty wind) of the test flight with on-board "keychain" cameras. Not the best flying (first non-foamy stick time in 6 months) but you get the idea. I have a 14x7 prop on it but I'm going to try the APC 14x8. I'm already hitting 66A peak (1375W) so I don't really need more power.

Pete

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gNTkbOi8-c[/youtube]