Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

When to buy batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to buy batteries?

I know some guys have a plan when they buy their lipos, since they go bad with time. I'm just starting out - should I go ahead and get all 3 or 4 sets for the start of the season, or buy them through the summer, or just wait until next year and start cycling in new packs every-so-often?

Is it too early to buy my lipos for this coming season? I'm using Zippy Flightmax 5S packs.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:56 AM
Magne

Default RE: When to buy batteries?

If you are buying "budget priced" batteries, then I think it is best to buy all the sets that you are going to use at the same time, and use them approx. equally much. Because the batteries do deteriorate gradually, no matter how you treat them, it is best to have all sets of equal performance. When they have deteriorated to a level when they are no longer suitable for your application, then it is time to chuck them and buy new ones.
The other way, of buying two sets now, another set a bit later, and a forth set after that again, you will always have batteries of different performance. This performance difference IS VERY NOTICABLE, and does nothing good for practice/competition flying.
If you are coming from glow, then it's a bit like flying one flight with 30% nitro, next flight with 15%, then back to 30, throw in a flight with 0% nitro etc. Not ideal.

Magne
Old 03-05-2010, 08:08 AM
J Lachowski
My Feedback: (46)

Joe, I would just start with 4 sets of batteries. I noticed in another thread that you had a set of 30C packs already. For the class you are flying, I would go with the 20C Zippys instead and save some weight. I personally have 4 sets of batteries that are 20C rated(Thunderpower Prolites) and they work just fine for me flying Masters. I will probably purchase myself 2 more sets some time in the next couple of months. I have also flown with packs with different life and performance levels in the past. My response is you adjust. No big deal. Flying them in Intermediate should be even less of a big deal since you are not flying power intensive manuevers at tha level. You just use your best packs in competition. Afterall, battery performance as glow performance will vary with the weather too. I know you are new at this electric stuff, but frankly I think you overthink things just a little too much at times and you are only just getting started<g> Go with what is proven and just fly. And when you are ready to test fly your plane, consider hooking up with one of the pattern guys (Scott S. or John T.) in your area that has a lot of experience with electric.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I know you are new at this electric stuff, but frankly I think you overthink things just a little too much at times and you are only just getting started.
I know, I know []

Yeah I got talked into buying the 30C by a local club member. I will get a few sets of 20C (I actually have the 30C listed for sale with my local club but doubt I'll be able to sell them) and hopefully hook up with Scott sometime in May.