Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Cellpro 10S Battery Charger

Old 04-05-2010, 08:42 PM
twoturnspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cellpro 10S Battery Charger

Greetings Gents,

I currently run a pair of Hyperion Duo chargers so that I can charge 2 x 10s packs concurrently. They contiue to be solid performers except for when I have an out of balance pack, this seems to be because the way these chargers work is to charge through the main leads and discharge individual cells that have higher than average voltages through the balance leads. Small packs are ticketyboo but 5000mah packs can take some time to balance out.

I have been looking at a Cellpro 10S charger (see link http://www.fmadirect.com/products.htm?cat=72&nid=4) to overcome this issue as this charger charges through the balance leads which means out of balance packs charge faster, I also like the idea of charging each cell rather than discharging higher voltage cells, it seems more efficient to me.

I am wondering if many guys out there are using them and if there are other brands that offer the same style of charging.

All the best, Simon
Old 04-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Jason Arnold

Default RE: Cellpro 10S Battery Charger

Hi Simon,

I'm using one and they work great!

Chris Swain put me onto the 10S.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:05 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

I'm a big fan of this charger and also have a Multi4.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 PM
VerneK

Simon,
They're all the rage in the States for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm not going to tell you they're the only charger being used, but from what I've seen in my region (midwest), they're the most prevalent. I'm starting my third season with my pair, and there's nothing out there I'd rather have.

Verne Koester

Old 04-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Jason Arnold

Hey Simon,

One thing I forgot to mention about this charger... It really pisses me off too is that while charging, you can't listen to the radio... [&o]

The charger must be radiating so much EMI that it causes my radio start squeaking and carrying on. A small price to pay though...

Cheers
Jason.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
CustomPC

How much current can you push through the thin balance plug wires when charging?

I noticed that there was quite a few of these chargers at a recent pattern comp and was wondering why they seem to be the flavour of the month.

JG, that's what CD's and MP3's are for
Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 PM
2Sunny

I returned 2 units for replacement because they didn't work. I would get strange error messages. The fan on one of my two units is vibrating excessively, and I expect will fail soon. Two of the leads I purchased from FMA had shorts. One they replaced the second they blamed on me with which I disagree and feel that the failure was there when I purchased it. Two people with whom I fly have had similar experiences. One member of this forum with whom I fly on occassion also had a bad experience with 2 of his 10S units and was unable to resolve the issue to his satisfaction so will no longer purchase from FMA. In short I think FMA has fantastic design, but they are terrible on production and support. I would NOT recommend purchasing a CellPro 10S and would recommend the [link=http://thunderpowerrc.com/html/cba-chargers.html]Thunder Power 1010C[/link] as an alternative.

Joe Peck
Old 04-06-2010, 09:48 PM
J-P
My Feedback: (1)

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Comments here are sometimes amazing......

I have 2 TP 1010C chargers. One failed after a month, back to Hacker Germany, changed for free, ....excellent service, quick turnaround...
I have 2 Cellpro 10S in FL, 5 in France,......2 had to go back to FMA, ....excellent service, quick turnaround, free repair, nice people too.....

You should know to that these chargers are built quite in the same place, Korea, Singapore......

Both chargers are excellents, but the Cellpro10S has more functions, balancing is integrated, and you can program it with your PC, read and register IR .......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52280.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	1413483  
Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 PM
J-P

A few pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hf99309.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1413495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94184.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1413496   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni25161.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1413497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91235.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1413498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au56866.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1413499  
Old 04-06-2010, 10:06 PM
icicles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CustomPC

How much current can you push through the thin balance plug wires when charging?

I noticed that there was quite a few of these chargers at a recent pattern comp and was wondering why they seem to be the flavour of the month.

JG, that's what CD's and MP3's are for
Pretty sure you can go up to 4 amps through the balance wires, you have to have the plug blocker in place. This way it only charges through the balance leads.

I also feel it is looking after my batteries better. From what i can gather it has one of the highest balancing (current) rates of any charger on the market

I have seen some chargers that badly overcharge cells also. These are well known brand chargers. Most chargers charge through the power leads then discharge through the balance leads when a cells voltage becomes too high relative to the others.

When my Cell Pro arrived i found the fan had fallen off during transit. After a couple of drops of oil and pushing it back on all has been good.

it works for me just fine

Chris
Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 PM
twoturnspin

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. Very informative and nice to hear that FMA and Hacker (via JP) both provided great service when things went wrong - wonderful to here.

JP, what is the blue box that sits between your power supply and chargers? I'm guessing it is a regulator of some kind?

I am attracted to the Cellpro as I like the idea of charging through the balance leads at mentioned earlier. I have also found out that they are stocked locally by Model Sports which is great to know.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:17 PM
J-P

FMA recommandation when I asked , was to limit to 3 A when charging with the node plugs ( balancing plugs)
When charging at 3.5 or 4 A with the node plugs only, the temperature of the plug is increasing during the charge to more than 50 degrees celsius.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:21 PM
J-P

Blue box is from Esprit Model

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=9359

Nicely integrated Power Strip allows up to (6) DC powered chargers to share a common power supply and independently turn on/off individual outputs.

Features:
- (6) Banana plug outputs
- Green power indication light
- (4) Blue power indication switch lights
- Lead wires to power source with alligator clips
- 45A Fuse protection
Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 AM
VerneK

Just so there's no confusion, under normal circumstances with the larger F3A packs, it is impractical, but not impossible, to charge through the balance leads which have current limitations (4 amps, as I recall). Normally, you charge through the power leads with the balance leads doing the balancing. The charger automatically knows which way you've hooked it up. Besides for the ability to charge at 5 amps with all the leads hooked up, you get the added benefit of getting an internal resistance reading for each cell. With some experience, those readings become a great indicator of the health of your pack.

The only negative I can say on the charger is that it won't discharge. For that, I use a CBA II which is way faster than virtually any charger out there with a discharge function built in.

I had one bad fan which was replaced for free with my option of them sending me a replacement or me sending the whole unit in. I opted to replace it myself and the new fan arrived at my doorstep three days later. I also blew an internal fuse once which was my fault, and the free replacement made it to me as quick as the fan. What sold me on the charger in the first place is the way it balances a pack by limiting current to a cell(s) that is charging faster than the rest rather than constantly charging and discharging faster charging cells. Just makes more sense to me.

Verne Koester

ORIGINAL: twoturnspin

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. Very informative and nice to hear that FMA and Hacker (via JP) both provided great service when things went wrong - wonderful to here.

JP, what is the blue box that sits between your power supply and chargers? I'm guessing it is a regulator of some kind?

I am attracted to the Cellpro as I like the idea of charging through the balance leads at mentioned earlier. I have also found out that they are stocked locally by Model Sports which is great to know.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 AM
[email protected]

Hi Guys.

Maybe you have forgotten that David @ Model Sports has these in stock. Support you local hobby shop.

Give us a ring
You might be surprised what you will find out.

email [email protected]
www.modelsports.com.au

Kellie

Old 04-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Jason Arnold

Hi Michael,

Yes, I could listen to an MP3 or CD but I was trying to highlight a problem with the Cellpro 10S. I don't know if it's just my one or not. Perhaps others could confirm if they see this issue? Most electronic devices are tested to see if they interfere with other equipment. Clearly, the Cellpro 10S would not pass EMI testing. I also have three Thunder Power chargers and none of them interfere with my radio.

It kind of makes you wonder if it would interfere with your RC gear???

Cheers
Jason.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:48 AM
icicles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Hi Guys.

Maybe you have forgotten that David @ Model Sports has these in stock. Support you local hobby shop.

Give us a ring
You might be surprised what you will find out.

email [email protected]
www.modelsports.com.au

Kellie

If you had bothered to read the above thread properly you would have noticed the reference to your shop and the fact they can be purchased from you

And yes we do support you

Chris
Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Aussie_Knife_Edge

Hi Michael,

Yes, I could listen to an MP3 or CD but I was trying to highlight a problem with the Cellpro 10S. I don't know if it's just my one or not. Perhaps others could confirm if they see this issue? . . .

Cheers
Jason.

Jason,

What frequency is the interference? So far I haven’t noticed any such problem with my Cellpro 10S. I've check the US AM band and found nothing.

Allan

Old 04-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Jason Arnold

Hi Allan,

My radio is on the FM band at 87.5 to 108 Mhz. I haven't tried using the AM band.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Jason Arnold

Hi Kerrie,

If you could match or beat AUD $165.00 for the 10S then I'd say that's a good deal and warrants buying the charger from your shop.

If you are selling the chargers via the local distributor (Tates Toys and Hobbies), then it's hard to believe you could match or beat AUD $165.00 as offered by your competition. For the record, Tates list the charger for AUD$250.00.

I do find your post a little offensive as I do support Australian hobby shops and your shop in particular. I don't buy all my hobby needs from you but do buy a reasonable amount from you. Just last week I spent $280.00 with you. Your service is great with fast mail orders and your pricing was reasonably competitive in this instance. When it all gets down to it, if the local hobby shop is competitive and has what you want then they should be supported. It’s not rocket science.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Jason Arnold

Hi Kerrie,

If you could match or beat AUD $165.00 for the 10S then I'd say that's a good deal and warrants buying the charger from your shop.

If you are selling the chargers via the local distributor (Tates Toys and Hobbies), then it's hard to believe you could match or beat AUD $165.00 as offered by your competition. For the record, Tates list the charger for AUD$250.00.

I do find your post a little offensive as I do support Australian hobby shops and your shop in particular. I don't buy all my hobby needs from you but do buy a reasonable amount from you. Just last week I spent $280.00 with you. Your service is great with fast mail orders and your pricing was reasonably competitive in this instance. When it all gets down to it, if the local hobby shop is competitive and has what you want then they should be supported. It’s not rocket science.

Cheers
Jason.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Jason Arnold

Hi Kerrie,

Cheers
Jason.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:02 PM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: J-P

A few pics
J-P where did you get the posts your alligator clips are clipped to in the first picture? I've been trying to find those with no luck.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 PM
CustomPC

Hi Jason,

I apologize for my poor attempt at humour if it offended you.

You are right about the EMI though.

I also try to support ModelSports when feasible, mainly because i've met Dave and he's passionate about this hobby/sport and is not in it just to make money. I always compare their prices to other local shops and he's usually pretty competitive. In fact i just got a model delivered from them yesterday. But we're in a global economy and local shops are finding it increasingly difficult to match prices on grey imports for items that are easily air posted and this must be killing them.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: J-P

Comments here are sometimes amazing......

The secret to success in the USA is that one is free to express their opinion whether or not it suits the likes of the masses. I for one would prefer to hear pros AND cons when making a decision on expensive equipment. My sincere apologies if my attempt at an impersonal review offended your sense of devotion to your preferred equipment.

Joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.