Search
Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Setting your E-idle. What's your trick.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:09 PM
SanJoseDale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Setting your E-idle. What's your trick.

OK, then, pro-whatever, it works!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:00 AM
rc_heli_flier
My Feedback: (12)

When I was flying this past weekend I noticed that when I came in to land my idle I had set was no longer working. I have it set on the trim tab for the throttle (I have a 9303 with a mechanical trim) so that it idles at two clicks before the top of the trim travel, of which I have it set all the way at the top. After I had been flying for several minutes it would no longer idle there. I assumed it would idle at that setting no matter what the charge level of my battery was, but I assume now that's not the case. How do you all deal with the varying idle setting in regards to battery charge level?
Old 06-15-2010, 04:29 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't seem to experience that issue. My idle is the same at touchdown as take off.

Woodie
Team ACME LG
Old 07-09-2010, 08:31 AM
rc_heli_flier
My Feedback: (12)

Turns out I had a bad ESC that wasn't holding settings properly. Problem solved and now holds the idle setting.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:54 PM
mred33

Ialways turn my break off and set my idle speed with the trim so the motor just ticks over at low throttle on the stick. I have found that it aids during down lines and landing where the super slipery lines of the fuselage doesn't let it slow down very well. With the break off, it will windmill no matter where Iset the idle and if I forget to set it on take off, I still have the drag to help keep things slow. I haven't noticed a difference in the way the plane handles if the motor is set to idle at low rpm or the idle is off along with the break. I do notice the difference if Iset the break on and go to low throttle where the prop stops. Then the plane just will not slow down during landing. Ihave never noticed any advantage to stopping the prop in an flight condition. Icould be wrong on this as Iam not the best pilot in the world, but for me it works just to turn the break off on any low drag plane.

The only difference to this is if Iwant the least drag on the airframe during a glide like on an oldie like the Valkyrie and Iwant the prop stopped compleately and as little drag as possible. I should probably go to a folding prop and may one of these days, but for not, I just want to stop the prop. Some of the older planes can't really use a folding prop because of the nose shape, but on some of them it would help a lot.

Ed