Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pattern Aircraft
Reload this Page >

CC Phoenix 85HV brake settings for AXI 5325 or 5330?

Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

CC Phoenix 85HV brake settings for AXI 5325 or 5330?

Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 AM
Aresti-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CC Phoenix 85HV brake settings for AXI 5325 or 5330?

I am looking for some advice regarding the brake settings for this ESC-motor combination. With Axi 5325 I am using brake force at 40%. If I leave the throttle stick a little more than full down the motor spools up in vertical lines down. If I pull the stick all the way down it seems to keep constant RPM but the moment I advance the throttle in level flight the motor makes strange noise about 1/4 stick. It is not screeching. It sounds more like a loud gearbox sound for 1 or 2 seconds until it picks up speed. Any idea of what could be the problem? Is there any way to keep a constant low idle speed?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 AM
lsjpeng

Default RE: CC Phoenix 85HV brake settings for AXI 5325 or 5330?

What firmware are you using? I had this problem for Plett and Himax until we figured out was the CC firmware bugs.
For AXI, you need Firmware version 1.56, for Plett and Himax, you need 3.20. There is a discussion in this forum about this issue. Firmware 2.xx are no good for anyone. See Dave Lockhart's reply at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_94..._1/key_/tm.htm post #17-20

Luke
Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Aresti-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I think I have firmware 3.2, will check tonight. Do you think I need to downgrade to 1.56?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:51 PM
lsjpeng

The Firmware cannot be downgrade.
I tested Firmware 3.20 on my AXI 5330/F3A a while ago. It has the same sympton as yours until I disable the brake. Since I switched to Himax motor, so I didn't try to solve the problem. I'm pretty sure somebody will be able to answer your question.

Luke
Old 04-28-2010, 05:45 AM
2Sunny

My Pletty 25-12 makes the same noise when coming off brake, but only if I advance the throttle rapidly. Smooth throttle applications eliminate the sound for me. It's a shame 'cuz I love the data logging function on this esc so much, but now I'm considering changing the esc out so I don't "squeal" at contests.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Chris Moon
My Feedback: (8)

This is probably the most difficult scenario for a controller to handle without losing sync with the motor. The more braking you have, the harder it is to do. My understanding is that the braking holds current across the motor to try and keep it from freewheeling so more braking = more current across the motor to try and hold it. Then you advance the throttle quickly and it must instantly transition from holding the motor to a rush of fwd current while maintaining it's sync with the motor. Usually a slower transition or a weaker brake setting will fix the problem. I have seen it happen with controllers more than 2X the price of the Castle so I don't see it as a defect although a tweaked firmware may help by giving you a slow transition no matter how quickly you advance the throttle stick.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:58 AM
xrboss

ORIGINAL: F3A Unlimited

This is probably the most difficult scenario for a controller to handle without losing sync with the motor. The more braking you have, the harder it is to do. My understanding is that the braking holds current across the motor to try and keep it from freewheeling so more braking = more current across the motor to try and hold it. Then you advance the throttle quickly and it must instantly transition from holding the motor to a rush of fwd current while maintaining it's sync with the motor. Usually a slower transition or a weaker brake setting will fix the problem. I have seen it happen with controllers more than 2X the price of the Castle so I don't see it as a defect although a tweaked firmware may help by giving you a slow transition no matter how quickly you advance the throttle stick.

I had a similar problem with a hacker and a HV 80. I now have a brake setting about 90%, but i still get the sound one every 30 flights. Try increasing the brake.