Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

New Sebart Wind 50E

Old 12-29-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Sebart Wind 50E

I'm with you Pattratt, I have been flying for many years also. The thought of entrusting my plane to those linkages just didn't sit well with me.
Now I am happy with the double ball link assembly. I'm still debating about the tail wheel assembly.................
Nosram
Old 12-30-2010, 03:05 AM

ORIGINAL: pattratt

Banez
A quick observation. You are betting the life of your aircraft that the knurl screw holding the Aileron linkage to the servo arm is not going to vibrate loose! I know electrics don't vibrate as bad as Glow but my 50 + year experience says sooner or later it will come loose!!
Happy New Year!
Dick
Yes, I know what you mean. Although my experience is much much shorter (2 years now), I'm also probably not going to use these linkages. I have put everything together for testing and just to see if the changes I've made will function when I put some strain on the aileron, etc. Just to mention, in the past I did use the kind of linkage as in the picture, and to secure the nut I've put some blue Locktite and not only they held on through out the season, but I had problems removing them later as they were really hard to unscrew.

I'm not a big fan of ball links on both sides either, as I think that limits mechanical trimming of linkage length, and I like to have my options open.
Further more, I've seen ball links to pop-out under strain so that too is not 100% bullet proof.

I will most likely use one of those metal fork like linkage on the servo arm end. I will have to cut some threads on the metal rod for that.
That setup has proved to function very well for me in the past.

Thanks for the heads up though!<br type="_moz" />
Merry Christmas and a very happy and successful 2011. to everybody!!!

Regards,
Bane

<br type="_moz" />
Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 AM

hi guys just wanted to ask is the fire wall pre-drilled for the Hacker motor mount? or its a clean surface that you can mount anything you wanted?
thanks
because i am ready to buy the scorpion 4025-12 just worried that there is already holes for the hacker...
Old 12-30-2010, 07:36 AM

hi koakiss

the firewall is pre-drilled for the Hacker mount, but it also suited the mount for my Turnigy 50-65B 350kv Brushless Outrunner (Eq: 4030 AXi).

happy new year

Old 12-30-2010, 08:15 AM

thanks could you please give the distance between the holes?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:42 PM

A quick update on progress, I have to be one of the slowest builders around!
I went with the Sullivan tail wheel. This removes any load off the rudder hinges and also the rudder servo. If you go this route, remember to add an additional hinge below the rudder horn! The kit tail wheel mount offers a pivot point below the horn, but this is lost when it is decoupled with a Sullivan mount. I also went with the inboard rudder servo, operating via pull pull. Actually it is set up for this configuration, its just not mentioned in the photo manual!
Looking at the main gear I am considerig putting a carbon brace between the two gear legs. I did this on my GP Sequence and it seemed to work well. Another thing I did with my Sequence, by following the RC Groups thread, was to modify the spinner. On the Sequence I replaced it with a GP spinner, with a lightened alluminum backplate. The front of the spinner was machined off, thus allowing some cooling air to flow through the spinner and motor. Not sure, but I think RCJETPILOT first did this. I will investigate this tomorrow.
Banez, the model car guys have the adjustment sorted out, by using both left and right handed threaded turnbuckles. That way the adjustment is infinite. You will suffer the same adjustment issues with the regular quick link, which you refer to as 'Fork'. Actually 'fork' is better because it doesn't add a torque, twist moment, to the horn or servo arm.
Nosram
Old 12-31-2010, 05:09 AM

Sorry I gave the credit for the spinner and carbon mod, to the gear, to the wrong person[&o]
It was on the RCU thread, and BERUSTY came up with all of the good ideas. The thread was for the Great Planes Sequence F3A..................
Old 01-01-2011, 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: koakiss

thanks could you please give the distance between the holes?
the distance between the 4 holes is about 42 mm.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 AM

Hello to All builders of Wind S 50
Today I have buy a Wind S 50. For elev. I have Fut S9650. but the servo is to big.
What can I do.
Andreas
Old 01-03-2011, 10:38 AM
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andreas,

The hole is slightly too small for the 9650 as it was designed for a small JR servo, although i don't know the number. I just took my file and enlarged the hole on the stabs til my 9650 fit. I had the same issue on the 2m version. Works great,

Arch
Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 PM

Along with my new Christmas present the Wind Ialso purchased a Hangar 9 digital incidence meter for fun. Based on a very informal measurement, just plugging in the wings and stabs out of the box, it looks like the wings are at 0 degrees to the stab. Ihaven't measured downthrust yet. I'll make more detailed measurements as Icomplete it.

Just wondering... has anyonefound a need todial in any specific incidence and/or thrust settings yet? What are you doing, if anything, for straight uplines/downlines? I'm curious about CG too...

Thanks and Happy New Year,
Rick
Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Hi Andreas,
Ialso ran the 9650. Iused a Dremel with a 1/8 rasp bit to enlarge the hole on the trailing edge side only. Iwent right back to the midline of the existing servo mounting screw locations. Isquared off the hole corners with an Xacto followed by a file, re-drilled the two rear servo mounting screw holes and the 9650 dropped right in.

By the way, Isee you are from Klagenfurt. I visited there briefly about ten years ago beautiful city!!

Rick
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM

External Wing Ribs,I don't know what they are called. These are the silver extention that fit on the outside of the wing

Arch, I noticed in your snow pictures that you don't use them. I have also seen other pictures in this threads, where they are being used.

Are they intended to improve the roll characteristics, or possibly snap roll?? I guess the best way would be to try with and without[sm=confused.gif]

Does anyone have anything to share on this topic?

On a different note regarding the ball joint discussion a few days ago, I went to my club this morning to fly. One of the members has a Sebart Angel, which utilizes the same hardware as the Wind. Todate he has well over 300 flights, without any problems. Must mean the hardware is just fine..............
Old 01-04-2011, 03:49 PM
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: nosram

External Wing Ribs,I don't know what they are called. These are the silver extention that fit on the outside of the wing

Arch, I noticed in your snow pictures that you don't use them. I have also seen other pictures in this threads, where they are being used.

Are they intended to improve the roll characteristics, or possibly snap roll?? I guess the best way would be to try with and without[sm=confused.gif]

I have three short flights on mine, today's flight was 6 minutes, and I've been having some difficulty. When I bank over the plane either banks more or less and not consistantly. I straightened the warped aileron, made the horizntal stab nice and tight and changed receivers. My theory is this: the side force generators need to be glued down nice and tight so they don't flex in the banking manuvers. I'm taking mine off tonight since they don't fit the profile of the wing very well and I only glued them at the tabs. I plan on trying again tomorrow and will report my findings.

Randy
Old 01-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Randy,
Your results will be very enlightening. What size batteries are you using? How many mAhrs did you use in the 6 minutes? I have bought some 4000mAhr LiPos, and now wonder if I should have bought 5000?
Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Randy,
Your results will be very enlightening. What size batteries are you using? How many mAhrs did you use in the 6 minutes? I have bought some 4000mAhr LiPos, and now wonder if I should have bought 5000?
I have 5000's. They are charging now, the first one took 750 ma, but I was doing taxi tests, trying to get it to run straight on the ground. The 4000's you have should be just fine, before the contest season begins I'm going to get two 4000's, then I'll only have to charge two batteries during the weekend of a contest. Six sportsman flights.
If I get this thing flying correctly, then I can run through the sequence and have a better idea.

Update: the battery that flew for six minutes at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle took a 1296 ma charge.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 AM

Hello
The elevator is completed. With Fut S9650. I do not know why I'm doing everything so complicated.
On Wings I use the Savöx SC 1251 MG. A Low Profile Servo. 9kg. And on Rudder the same. And the original Cover. It looks great.
The Electric engine is a Kontronik Kora Top 30-27 with 8S Lipos. Hyp. 4.000 mAh 25C 800 gr. All Parts from my Astral x 120 (Hirobo). I know it was not the lightest thinks. So I will have 150 - 200 gr. more.
There is no Problem. I fly my SICKLE 46E with a half F3A Pack FP 5350 mAh. My reasoning is more volts and less amps.

@ Rick
I hope you will visit me next time when you in Klagenfurt.

Andreas
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jg13878.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1542649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44824.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1542650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71719.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1542651  
Old 01-05-2011, 04:30 AM

On a different note regarding the ball joint discussion a few days ago, I went to my club this morning to fly. One of the members has a Sebart Angel, which utilizes the same hardware as the Wind. Todate he has well over 300 flights, without any problems. Must mean the hardware is just fine..............
Nosram,

I put them on mine for a couple of flights. Seemed to help with rudder authority slightly. Not a huge difference. I would guess that if you were running a lower torque servo on the rudder the difference would be more noticeable, but since I have 200+oz on the rudder its not an issue. I don't leave them on since I haven't made them for the 2m yet, and I like the fact the 2m and the little one look the same. Also, they can be a pain in the rear to move around in a vehicle or the shop with them on as they don't fit in wing bags and such with them on.

Arch
Old 01-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Bump. Getting close to finishing my Wind and eager to start the trimming process. Would appreciate any hints from those who have already been there!!

&gt;&gt;Just wondering... has anyonefound a need todial in any specific incidence and/or thrust settings yet? What are you doing, if anything, for straight uplines/downlines? What CG settings work well?
Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 PM

I flew mine exactly where they finished up. CG is pretty close to the recommended. Plane flies great. I use a throtte - rudder mix for thrust trimming, and throttle to elevator for about 2% to get the plane going straight down. Right now I don't have any pitch mix, but do have about 2% roll mix to get rid of the roll coupling,

Arch
Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 PM

Great info, thanks Arch. Now that I have returned to work after the holidays my building has slowed to a stop this week[>:] If we get bad weather this weekend I will probably get it finished.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 PM

Has anyone had any roll issues ? the plane will roll either way with no input from the transmitter, the if I give a trim input it will roll, stop then roll some more. I've worked on the horiz. stab and it is solid, and did the same on the wings. Going to try another receiver tomorrow, but kinda doubt that is it. Tried trimming with rudder, no help. It will also climb on it's own too with no input, again intermittantly.
For tomorrow (if it dosen't rain) I changed the setting for the trim tab down to one click and knocked the end points down another 5% too.
Don't think it can be the radio, it flies my other plane without these issues.

Anything come to mind ?, this one may be headed to the garbage can....
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM

well if a model does something on its own, then thats radio problem, or something is dangerously wrong. do a distance check and check all the connectors are solid would be my first guess.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: desertrider49

Has anyone had any roll issues ? the plane will roll either way with no input from the transmitter, the if I give a trim input it will roll, stop then roll some more. I've worked on the horiz. stab and it is solid, and did the same on the wings. Going to try another receiver tomorrow, but kinda doubt that is it. Tried trimming with rudder, no help. It will also climb on it's own too with no input, again intermittantly.
For tomorrow (if it dosen't rain) I changed the setting for the trim tab down to one click and knocked the end points down another 5% too.
Don't think it can be the radio, it flies my other plane without these issues.

Anything come to mind ?, this one may be headed to the garbage can....
If you can't find anything loose on the airplane, then start checking servos, or it could be a transmitter issue. There is nothing on a plane that would cause these problems unless something is noticeably loose or you are having issues with the pots in your TX.

Arch
Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 PM

Randy,
Do you think it could be your BEC causing a bit of interference, and causing the servo neutrals to wander. It might be a good idea to check the servo neutrals as you gun the motor. Flying the plane with a seperate reciever battery would prove it either way. The other thing that it might be, if you are using 72MHz and pull pull on the rudder, is the control wires touching and causing a small amount of interference. I crossed my wires, because they would rub on the rear most former. In time they would saw throw the former and them become slack.
Hope that helps a bit,
Nosram

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.