RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   New Krill Spark Evo I- Build Thread..... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/10117431-new-krill-spark-evo-i-build-thread.html)

flyboy91 11-05-2010 04:02 PM

New Krill Spark Evo I- Build Thread.....

Well its about that time to build the new Spark Evo from Krill. It should be here within 3 weeks from Krill.

A little insight as to how I started flying sparks and how the Evolution came together.

About 3 years ago I was at the Tucson Aerobatic shootout and was talking with Mark Leseberg. He had a Krill Spark and wanted to sell it. I had seen the spark before and liked the looks of it and it had some cool things about it. I bought it from him and unfortunately wasnt able to fly it until the following Spring. When Spring Rolled around Jason Shulman was up at our house to do some ETOC flying as well as some pattern flying. We took the Spark out and flew it. Right after the second flight Jason and myself both knew this was going to be my airplane to replace my Integrals. I shot off a quick email to Ivo Kryl and asked about purchasing a couple sparks in my scheme and had an immediate answer from him. He agreed to do these for me. They showed up in May and were flying by mid June thanks to Charlie Williams who assembled them for me.

The nats went well for me with the spark and I was able to achieve my first F3A nats win. I thanked Ivo very much and after this he told me he was going to be at the Worlds where I would fly the spark. I had finally got to meet Ivo at the Worlds, he is an incredible man that is in it because he loves the hobby. We talked a bit at the worlds about a new plane and decided we would go forward with a new airplane. The new airplane would be a mix of all the input from all the pilots.

This past year the Spark Evo has taken flight in Austria in my different configurations and they have finalized the new Spark. I have attached pictures of the new airframe from Ivo. I will then also attach pictures of my build when I get the airframe.

My equipment will be as follows
Hacker Q80
Castel Creations Ice 80HV
Falcon 21x14 prop
Thunder Power 10s5000
Futaba BLS 551 on Ailerons
Futaba BLS 153's on Elevator
Futaba BLS 352 on rudder
Powerbox Digi Switch
Thunder Power 2s 730 receiver pack
Futaba 6108HS receiver

Andrew

Mike Wiz 11-06-2010 09:31 AM

RE: New Krill Spark Evo I- Build Thread.....

What a classy looking airplane, Andrew. Very nice.....

flyboy91 11-06-2010 08:44 PM

Thanks Mike, I'm very excited to get this airplane and get it flying. Once its here I will have pictures and get it going asap.

Andrew

Doug Cronkhite 11-08-2010 10:45 AM

Very interesting design Andrew.. Other that stiffness, do you know what Ivo intended to accomplish by the various ridges and scallops in the fuse?

Rendegade 11-08-2010 10:37 PM

Yes I'd be interested to know.

Also, it has a full flying stab! Details please!

flyboy91 11-08-2010 11:05 PM

The fuse design is something that ivo came up with.
The stabs hadn't been cut yet. They were very excited to get the airplane together.

Andrew

Rendegade 11-09-2010 12:13 AM

hehe, I guess that's why it doesn't have ailerons either!:D

papaone 11-18-2010 08:27 AM

Hi

Prices and schema colors are released on Krill Modell website
I like scheme VR pink and yellow.

http://www.krill-model.com/eu/en/ind...kits&model=150

lyka 11-19-2010 07:25 AM

Hi Andrew...a lot of time !!!!..
One questions about your selected servos... the Futaba BLS 551 on Ailerons, is this servo aplications in cars????. if this ok, are you have problems with center positions ????...I can to see this servo have a good weight !!!!...good choice !!!!.... 44grs each !!!!
My son, Jonathan is waiting your Spark EVO 1 for midd december, in black scheme....
best regards, Andrew !!!

rcpattern 11-19-2010 07:37 AM

Lyka,

I have been running the BLS-551's on the ailerons of my Wind and I love them. Great speed and centering. You will have no issues with them.

Arch

lyka 11-19-2010 09:37 AM

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

Lyka,

I have been running the BLS-551's on the ailerons of my Wind and I love them. Great speed and centering. You will have no issues with them.

Arch
Frankly I do not remember when, but for quite some time I used a car servos on a plane and had problems with the center position ... be a defect circumstantial or, is that I'm getting old!!!!!!!
Okay Arch, follow your advice. Thanks for your quick response.

Andres Girabel

rcpattern 11-19-2010 09:38 AM

I never liked running them on glow planes as I think the vibration wears on them more, especially on the ailerons, but on electric with the little/no vibration they work great.

Arch

wildwillie3 11-19-2010 09:45 AM

Now that is SWEET!
I can't wait to see more

Bill

lyka 11-19-2010 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: rcpattern

I never liked running them on glow planes as I think the vibration wears on them more, especially on the ailerons, but on electric with the little/no vibration they work great.

Arch
Of course !!!!...now I understand ....you know !!!!..thank you Arch....

flyboy91 11-20-2010 12:05 PM

Yes like Arch said these servos work extremely well. I have used them all of this year with no problems at all. I have a ton of flights on them with no slop at all.

Andrew

Brenner 11-20-2010 02:36 PM

Hey Andrew,

I notice the flared trailing edge on the Rudder. Can you explain the purpose and reasoning behind this?

Brenner ...

VerneK 11-21-2010 12:24 AM

It creates severe turbulence that will put anybody flying too close into a high speed, unrecoverable stall. I'm putting one on my new plane too....

Verne

ORIGINAL: Brenner

Hey Andrew,

I notice the flared trailing edge on the Rudder. Can you explain the purpose and reasoning behind this?

Brenner ...

Brenner 11-21-2010 12:50 AM

Hmmm, that could be a problem Verne because you know how you and I like to "share" the same line.

Maybe if I increased my props to a pair of 44X20's I could create a "cone of silence" around my plane that would surround it with clean, straight flowing air, and it would remain unaffected by outside turbulence.

Brenner ...

can773 11-21-2010 08:27 AM

+3 on the BLS 551's I also use them.  In fact while in Colombia, I saw that Wolfgang was using them on rudder since they are quite light.

Flared TE reduce the sensitivity like expo.  At least that is the only significant effect I have noticed.

Chad

FLYERSG 11-22-2010 09:41 PM

I've often wondered if servos marketed for R/C cars would be useable in aircraft. Since the discussion came up in this thread, I thought I'd contact Futaba and see what their position would be on the subject. For what it's worth, this is what I received:

"Car servos were designed for ground applications and as such the gearing is not as precise as aircraft servos. If you were to use those you could experience flutter or failure. If you decide to use them in such an application , you do so at your own risk."

Mike

cygnet 11-22-2010 10:07 PM

Sounds like a load to me.

Velco 11-23-2010 05:16 AM

On the Futaba site it is not very easy to distinguish which servo is really intended for which use:</p>

http://www.futaba-rc.com/servos/brushlessservos.html</p>

Only few servos have specifically written "air" or "car"  on them with the exception for quite a few a heli servos. Majority are without any indication about the intended use and, does it mean that those can be used anywhere?  If I follow the logic how the servos are grouped isn't it that may be BLS 151 is the ideal F3A rudder servo?</p>

Velco</p>

Brenner 11-24-2010 06:52 PM

The problem with using a servo that's marked for "Car" use, is that it would be very difficult to get Futabe to admit to any liability if there's some sort of design defect that causes a plane to crash, because they can always say that the customer wasn't following the manufacturer's instructions.

I seem to remember a while back that some helicopter pilots were claiming that Futaba's BLS servo's were failing and causing helicopter crashes, and that's what Futaba told everyone.

Brenner ...

Daveeast 12-19-2010 03:15 AM

Andrew can I ask a question in the lull of the holiday season greeting to all from snowy Britain, On the Osiris a Hacker A50-12 is recommended using a 16 prop, would not a A50-14 have been better or am I missing the trick?

Happy Hols Dave East

Mvelez 12-19-2010 09:21 PM

Hello Andrew:

May I ask where can I get the 21 x 14 Falcon hobby Carbon Prop?

thank you!

Marcelo