RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   How big of a generator do I need ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/10857836-how-big-generator-do-i-need.html)

desertrider49 12-13-2011 01:32 PM

How big of a generator do I need ?

I'm looking at generators, I will be charging 1 10s pack at a time, so can I get away with the 800-1000 watt size generator ?

Thanks
Randy

jgg215 12-13-2011 01:45 PM

RE: How big of a generator do I need ?

The short answer is yes.
The cellpro 10SX is rated at 250 watts with a 12 volt input so you still could use two chargers if you wish. If you go with an inverter generator they start to get a bit heavy and bulky in the larger sizes. The 1000 watt size is a nice fit if it needs to be portable. I notice Costco has a Duracell 1000 watt inverter generator on sale for $200 and weighs 28 pounds which is much cheaper than the Honda. I don't know if it's any good but the Costco policy on returns always allows you to return it.

John

desertrider49 12-13-2011 02:10 PM

Thanks, the California carb. model is out of stock, never to return.

Good info. on the capability of two chargers being used at the same time...that's the info. I was looking for.

OhD 12-13-2011 04:27 PM

Randy, be careful of 2 stroke generators as they may not have the frequency stability required for our power supply/charger set up. I'd make sure someone would verify that the generator you select will work with your power supply and charger.

Jim O

FLY F3A 12-13-2011 05:09 PM

Randy.
I don't have a generator. All batteries are charged at home before I leave home.
Are you still need it?

Tak

desertrider49 12-13-2011 06:14 PM

Hi Tak

I like to get to the field on Friday before a contest and get in a few practice flights. I will have 4 sets of batteries so I'll need to charge. I bought the generator from Costco, I'll find out if it will work for me, if not, I'll return it and get one with a four stroke engine.

Randy

burtona 12-13-2011 06:58 PM

Here's one with 2000 watts, 4 stroke motor, and it's cheap. It's not a Honda, but it's a lot less money.
I bought one a couple years ago and it runs 2 CellPro 10S chargers with no problems so far.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ou...atalogId=10053

desertrider49 12-13-2011 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: burtona

Here's one with 2000 watts, 4 stroke motor, and it's cheap. It's not a Honda, but it's a lot less money.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ou...atalogId=10053

Thanks, it seems the best generator for our needs is an inverter gererator, and besides, that one can't be sold in California.

jgg215 12-13-2011 07:41 PM

Jim, doesn't the inverter take care of the frequency stability problem? Isn't that why we only use inverter-generators setups? What am I missing?

John

mighty9 12-13-2011 07:45 PM

Inverter gensets use square wave so in essence its the cleanest power available. It will even run computers and monitors with no issues

jgg215 12-13-2011 08:00 PM

Apparently the Duracell has trouble running a WFCO converter. Seems to be a load factor and  variable load issue.  Since this WFCO converter  appears to be nothing more than a DC power supply for RVs, it seems unlikely that this generator will work well with our power supplies.

John

desertrider49 12-13-2011 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: jgg215

Apparently the Duracell has trouble running a WFCO converter. Seems to be a load factor and variable load issue. Since this WFCO converter appears to be nothing more than a DC power supply for RVs, it seems unlikely that this generator will work well with our power supplies.

John

well, crap

Jetdesign 12-14-2011 05:55 AM

You can find the Honda generators for $600.

I don't have much extra cash, but in my life long interest in working on machines and equipment, and my recent interest in pattern flying, the reliability and QUIETNESS of the Honda generators is well worth the money. I will hold out until I can afford the Honda, until then, have enough packs and resources to get me through a flying day.

Put one behind a van, you can hardly even tell it's running. Other generators are loud, draw attention, and stop working properly after a year or two.

1000W Honda is enough to charge a pair of 10S packs, is light and portable. Some guys have the 2000W at contests and can charge their packs plus their neighbors.

I haven't had much of a need to charge more than 2 sets of 10S packs and maybe a set of Rx batteries at the same time; 1000W should handle it.

nonstoprc 12-14-2011 06:40 AM

10s pro charger can use a 12v DC source directly. So why need an inverter solution?

I saw people run 10s chargers with car batteries.

cchariandy 12-14-2011 07:18 AM

I bought a Honeywell 1000W Generator at COSTCO a year ago and paid less than $300. They are much less expensive than the Honda's and run very well. However they are a little heavier...32# instead of 28# and a bit louder but still fairly quiet.

I can't find the 1000W version but they seen to have a new line including 800W and 1600W models that are lighter than the original versions. I think they are better value than the Hondas. See this link below.

http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/...generators.htm

Colin.

Chris Moon 12-14-2011 07:22 AM

A good deep cycle marine battery will give you 5+ charges of 10S-5000 packs and is an option for under $100 at most stores. Get the larger group 29HM battery. Problem is the weight and you need a charger to charge the deep cycle at home after flying.

rix 12-14-2011 09:10 AM

Currently I use a deep cycle and I charge it with my power supply...

f16man 12-14-2011 10:13 AM

Wire the battery into your charge circut on your vehicle , so when the battery charge is low just start up the truck for 15 min. and your good to go, most all cars and trucks now have at least a 60 amp alternator and I know my truck has 120 amp.

on_your_six 12-14-2011 10:21 AM

Following this advice will ruin your battery for you...Lead Acid batteries do not last long when deeply discharged... Do you really think you can recharge a big battery in 15 minutes? If you are going to use a Lead or gel battery as a power supply, you need to properly re-charge the battery with a battery charger before flying each day. It can be done, but not by hooking to the auto's 12volt system for brief periods of time.

ORIGINAL: f16man

Wire the battery into your charge circut on your vehicle , so when the battery charge is low just start up the truck for 15 min. and your good to go, most all cars and trucks now have at least a 60 amp alternator and I know my truck has 120 amp.

airraptor 12-14-2011 11:33 AM

F16man 15 minutes at idle will not charge your battery.

most all car/truck alternators do not produce rated power till above 3000 or so car rpm.

you can buy some aftermarket alternators from monster power but they are about 400 dollars and up but they are designed to generate 80-90% rated power at idle-1100 rpm.

Harbor frieght has a small 800 watt generator for 130 dollars. plug it into a 30-40 dollar car battery charger and then hook that up to your deep cycle battery and have a great field charging set up for around 200-250 dollars.

Radical Departure 12-14-2011 01:52 PM

ORIGINAL: gaRCfield
You can find the Honda generators for $600.

I don't have much extra cash, but in my life long interest in working on machines and equipment, and my recent interest in pattern flying, the reliability and QUIETNESS of the Honda generators is well worth the money. I will hold out until I can afford the Honda, until then, have enough packs and resources to get me through a flying day.

Put one behind a van, you can hardly even tell it's running. Other generators are loud, draw attention, and stop working properly after a year or two.

1000W Honda is enough to charge a pair of 10S packs, is light and portable. Some guys have the 2000W at contests and can charge their packs plus their neighbors. I haven't had much of a need to charge more than 2 sets of 10S packs and maybe a set of Rx batteries at the same time; 1000W should handle it.
The Honda's are more expensive I won't deny that. I got one to charge 5S packs at 10C via an IOTA 25amp power supply, and I haven't looked back. They do a great job supplying clean power, quiet, lots of run time on a gallon, easy to start, easy to maintain, and best of all.. they hold their resale value! And it can be used for a lot more than just charging RC batteries. If you can find a good one, you won't be disappointed.

HunkaJunk 12-14-2011 02:47 PM

ORIGINAL: OhD

Randy, be careful of 2 stroke generators as they may not have the frequency stability required for our power supply/charger set up. I'd make sure someone would verify that the generator you select will work with your power supply and charger.

Jim O
On the contrary, 2 stroke generators have exceptional governor controlled output (60 hz).Tthey generally have a carburetor with a float and bowl and a mechanical governor controlling the throttle, and the 2 strokes accelerate very fast and stable when more load is added.

The biggest problem with two stroke generators I have seen is many of them say they are to be used with 50:1 or 60:1 two stroke mix. IMHO this is not a suitable mix for a 2 stroke engine that runs under constant heavy load (generator).

Here is some inside information, the little Harbor Freight 800 watt 2 stroke gererator is a pretty descent little generator for the money, quite a few of them come back, IMO mostly due to the 50:1 recommended mix ratio, if you only use it lightly it will be fine, but put the full 800 watts on it, and even the very best of 2 stroke oils is a questionable mix at 50:1, up the mix to 32:1 and it will generally run for a long long time at full load (yes this is from personal experience).

eddieC 12-14-2011 03:45 PM

A couple of our members use the Honda generators. I've walked past and didn't realize they were running til someone pointed it out. Very, very quiet, and they hold up.

OliverJacob 12-14-2011 03:47 PM

I used one of the cheap 2 stroke generators, it hat 1000 Watts and worked ok. But I would never run a computer or expensive charger to this.
Even if it puts a out a real nice sinus wave (which it doesn't) then you are still dealing with power spikes when the load changes.
The carb got gummed up fast, was hard to start and the engine seized after a year of no use.  Used good quality 2 stroke oil, 1:25.
My opinion - get a good size car or truck battery, charge it at home and you'll have enough power to fly all day. Yes, it's heavy and bulky, but so is the generator.

Airplanes400 12-14-2011 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: desertrider49

I'm looking at generators, I will be charging 1 10s pack at a time, so can I get away with the 800-1000 watt size generator ?

Thanks
Randy
You need a big one ... a really big one! About the size of a refrigerator.