RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   opinions on which Nano tech 5S lipo packs (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/10872200-opinions-nano-tech-5s-lipo-packs.html)

slipkid 12-22-2011 05:41 PM

opinions on which Nano tech 5S lipo packs

Hi all,
I currently fly a 3D hobby shop Osiris on 1 5S 5000 nano tech pack that is rated at 45-90C. I have 4 such packs and they work great in my setup, as my peak current draw is only 90-95A, whcih equates to 18-19C
I am about to launch a full 2 meter ship, wich will use the same pack, but 2 in series (10S) - I am looking to buy another set of 4 nano-tech 5S packs, but Inotice they now have a lower and higher C choice available. THe lower choice has my eye, at 25C continuous, 50C burst and I am wondering if these are in use by anyone and how they are holding out. I am not an advanced pattern flyer, but I mostly fly pattern style as I like it better than boring holes in the sky
The price difference is ~$25 per pack, whcih would be ~$100 for my order, which is nothing to ignore. Anyone have actual experience with the 25-50C packs in a similar situation (10S, or single - pattern style plane) that they can give me an opinion on?

Thanks in advance

Joe

wattsup 12-23-2011 05:12 AM

RE: opinions on which Nano tech 5S lipo packs

Joe, based on what you are proposing to do with a 10s battery setup in a 2m plane and unless you feel you absolutely must have 5000mah packs x2, my first choice would be the F3A Unlimited 4900mah 25c 5s packs. I have used them and know of their quality, reliability and performance. Chris stands behind his products, period! Now, if cost is an issue, my second choice would be the Hobby Partz Sky-Lipo 4400mah 20c 5s packs selling for $39.95 delivered (they are back in stock and still at the same price). They too have a great reputation for good service. Also, I have run all 3 "c" levels (25, 35and 45)of the Turnigy Nano batteries (4000, 4500 AND 5000MAH 5S packs) and have found them to have one thing in common, they all perform well initially but start to lose power at approx 60-70 flights. I even took the time to break them in very carefully and still had problems. Another thing that bothered me about my dealings with Hobby King was their lack of a reliable warranty. Their policy/warranty is literally "out the door and you are on your own" ! No thanks! I can tell you first hand that all Chinese operations are not the same. Hobby Partz is this BEST! I'm surprised to hear your Nano 45-90C 5s packs are still alive after drawing approx 90 AMPS! Hope this helps, Everette

slipkid 12-23-2011 07:59 AM

Hi Wattsup
Thank you, that was some good info there - I did not even think of using a pack smaller than 5000 - As thought about it, I was replacing 2700-3000 back into my Nano's and a 4400 would work as well. UNfotunaltey, the first pack you reccmend is $100 per pack and I would like a smaller price tag. I like the sky lipo you reccomend. On the question of 90 Amps, I am running the reccomended motor, speed control and prop for this airplane. Hacker A50, CC 100HV, 16X8
I would thnk everyone who flies an Osiris would see around 90Amps on an extended upline. I am reporting what the CC graph view reports, not a lab qualified Eagle systems or something similar. at 90 Amps, that is still only 18C on the pack - My Nanos are barley warm after a flight, so I did not think I was pushing them hard... - I see the sky lipo's also have a 30c, which alos appeals to me. From a theoretical standpoint, the 20C lipos are just about at thier limit if I am pulling 90 Amps - This is a brief peak current only, but the graph still shows ~90Amps - reported average is in the 20-25A range

wagen017 12-23-2011 09:23 AM

My Rhino 4900s have now passed the 250 cycles mark and still deliver. The feedback I have heard about Nanotech is what Wattsup says, they don't seem to have the lifetime. If I wanted to make that choice I would go for the Rhinos again (and hope they are still the same as three years ago....)

Volkert

Gulliver 12-23-2011 10:20 AM

Apologies for shifting the subject to motors, but the specs I have for the recommended Hacker A50-12S show 55 peak amps. My question is, do you feel safe pulling 95 peak ? I also use the Nano-tech 5,000 and CC 100 but use a 15x10 which pulls 65a (at 5,000ft) and would like to try more prop if I can get away with it.

slipkid 12-23-2011 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HI Gulliver
I have posted my image from a trial run last summer - after a few false starts, there are 3 runs visible. I have plotted battery voltage and current - taken at .5 second intervals on my CC
Left most run used 16X10 APC - peak draw 90-95Amps, middle run, the prop I settled on, is a APC 15X10 and draws maximum of 80Amps, right run was with APC 16X8
I have not had any problems with my hacker at these current ratings - although I only have ~ 40-50 flights on it so far - The nano tech packs are barley noticbly warmer than ambient and the motor is not at all excessivley hot after runs
I think I might try some 4400's with my next purchase - a set of 4 packs,that will give me 4 runs in the Osiris, and 2 runs in the Black Magic. Coupled to the 4 Nano teck packs, that gives me the abilty to fly andnot wrorry about field charging, something I do not like at these power levels

Gulliver 12-23-2011 02:51 PM

Thanks Joe. Sounds like that motor can easily handle big momentary overloads, so I will go ahead and experiment with more prop -if the snow ever melts.

Jetdesign 12-24-2011 05:05 AM

My Rhinos are my best batteries, lots of flights, 2 years old, still the most powerful, still hard as a rock. Looks like Rhinos are phasing out of HK's lineup though :(