RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   Setup look over? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/11014849-setup-look-over.html)

tgwhitley 03-25-2012 05:15 PM

Setup look over?

I have been away from flying since 2001. Would really like to visit with someone about electric setup on a pattern ship at there shop or field and currentily live about 20 minutes east of Cullman AL. A contest setting is not the time or place to ask questions. Could someone recommend a contact person or email me.

Thanks

Tim Whitley
[email protected]
<br type="_moz" />

Jason Arnold 03-25-2012 06:00 PM

RE: Setup look over?

ORIGINAL: tgwhitley

I have been away from flying since 2001. Would really like to visit with someone about electric setup on a pattern ship at there shop or field and currentily live about 20 minutes east of Cullman AL. A contest setting is not the time or place to ask questions. Could someone recommend a contact person or email me.

Thanks

Tim Whitley
[email protected]
<br type=''_moz'' />
I think a contest is the perfect place to ask questions.... You can see a number of different set-ups too.

Cheers,
Jason.

wattsup 03-25-2012 06:12 PM

Hi Tim, You might consider contacting either Gary Courtney or Jon Lowe in Huntsville, AL. Both fly electrics and I'm sure either or both would help you. Everette

rcpattern 03-26-2012 04:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Aussie_Knife_Edge

Thanks

Tim Whitley
[email protected]
<br type=''_moz'' />
I think a contest is the perfect place to ask questions.... You can see a number of different set-ups too.

Cheers,
Jason.
I completely agree with this. Always feel free to show up at a local contest and ask questions. Most pattern flyers are more than happy to share everything they know in that setting, plus it lets you watch different setups and styles of flying. The NATS sometimes can be a little different, but at a local contest, you will learn much more than can any other way,

Arch

grcourtney 03-26-2012 04:43 AM

AS a new electric flyer I have copied a known workable set up Proven by those that have flown for years. I feel this is the best way to go as far as equipment. But flying electric starts way before you start buying or installing . airframe choice and average weights, glue discipline, should be considered. Don't go out and buy this or that airframe just because X high profile pattern dude owns one read up and research see ,What i mean is if he had to install super light weight items there is a cost $$ for this stuff. If you buy a used set up look it over research the set up weigh the dang thing.. If your on the low coast affordable path the Vanquish is probably the easy affordable avenue and its a solid flyer. This weekend there is a contest in GA. south of Atlanta as the others have said a contest is the best place to do research because its all pattern all the time.. Opinions vary and mine is just that mine. Making weight and desiding what will work for you starts before the first item is bought..

Gary

cmoulder 03-26-2012 04:59 AM

As you know, I could not agree with you more!

When I hear about an overweight model these days, I see a string of no-so-good choices on airframe, electronic equipment, hardware, material selection and building technique. A great-flying model that makes weight does not have to cost an arm and a leg, but it does require thought and planning.

rcpattern 03-26-2012 05:42 AM

Completely agree Gary and Bob. You really need to pay attention to the entire package when looking at it.

Arch

wattsup 03-26-2012 05:44 AM

+1 Gary, I appreciate you helping Tim and "telling it like it is"! Hope you did not mind me referring Tim to you and Jon. I was trying to save him time and the expense of traveling simply because Cullman is not that far from you. Everette

jonlowe 03-26-2012 05:49 AM

There are three of us that fly at RCRC in Huntsville, AL; Gary Courtney, who already answered you, Mike Wingo, and I. Come on up. I'm out any day it is nice, and they are out as work permits. Email or PM us if you'd like to talk. As Gary said, we will be at a contest just south of Atlanta this weekend; come on over.

Jon

Thanks

Tim Whitley
[email protected]
<br type=''_moz'' />