RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   P13 Reverse Spins (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/11088449-p13-reverse-spins.html)

Malcolm H 05-21-2012 12:33 AM

P13 Reverse Spins

I'm currently flying an Oxai Asyuler fitted with a Neu powered Brenner Sharp Contradrive.

Its trimmed using the Hebert method and is hands off neutral in knifedge, vertical up and has a tiny amount of down elevator throttle mix for down lines. Trimmed this way it needs some aileron to spin as per Bryan's notes.

The problem is that when reversing the spin direction, the model "walks" forwards as it changes direction. I can reduce this tendency by reducing the elevator throw in my spin flight mode but I get to a point where further reduction causes the model to unstall and hesitate before starting to spin in the second direction. The "walking" and the hesitation when reducing elevator throw is the same no matter which spin direction you start with. I'm running braking on the motor so normally the props are just about stopped when dropping into the spin but I have tried a flight idle setting in the spin mode which seems to make the "walking" worse.

Anyone have a cure for this?

Malcolm

pippy 05-21-2012 12:41 AM

RE: P13 Reverse Spins

Hi Malcolm, I have the same set up with my nuance and it does the same in the spins. It would be nice if there is a solution. I would like to know also.
Also Malcolm on a different subject
, how did you make the carbon fibre insert for between the model and contra?

Jason Arnold 05-21-2012 12:48 AM

Hi Malcolm,

What throws have you got on rudder and elevator?

Cheers,
Jason.

Malcolm H 05-21-2012 01:06 AM

Rudder is currently as much as I can get within the mechanical limitation of the hinges but previously it was around 45 deg. Didn't notice any real difference with this change.

Elevator was approx. 30 deg. but as I said I have been dialing this back.

Malcolm

Jason Arnold 05-21-2012 01:12 AM

Hi Malcolm,

Rudder seems fine but 30 degrees of elevator seems like 3D type throws! I use about 18 degrees on my Spark.

When reversing the spin, what inputs are you giving the model?

Regards,
Jason.

Malcolm H 05-21-2012 01:38 AM

Remember this is a separate spin flight mode not normal flying elevator throw. It is now much less maybe 20 deg. Best success input wise has been to keep the elevator in and reverse rudder and aileron simultaneously. I've also tried letting off elevator as the other controls are reversed and then re-applying it but that was worse.

Malcolm

Jason Arnold 05-21-2012 02:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Malcolm H

Remember this is a separate spin flight mode not normal flying elevator throw. It is now much less maybe 20 deg. Best success input wise has been to keep the elevator in and reverse rudder and aileron simultaneously. I've also tried letting off elevator as the other controls are reversed and then re-applying it but that was worse.

Malcolm
Yes, I realise you have a spin flight phase. You shouldn't need 30 degrees of throw to stall the model or get it to spin. You may need less than 20 degrees....

Will the model spin without aileron? Using opposite aileron to stop the spin and reverse it is perfectly normal.

When in the spin, is the nose pointing down or is it fairly flat?

Would be great to see a video.. :-)

Cheers,
Jason.

Malcolm H 05-21-2012 05:33 AM

Hi Jason,

Have you used the Hebert trimming method? Models trimmed this way have a very forward CG and require more elevator throw than conventionally trimmed models. They will also need aileron to spin.

My model spins nose down but I'm afraid I don't have any video.

Malcolm

apereira 05-21-2012 06:12 AM

Hi Malcolm,

Your airplane wants to keep flying, so CG seems to be far forward, how is your snap doing?

Best regards

Alejandro

Malcolm H 05-21-2012 06:26 AM

Snaps are very good, the plane keeps on line extremely well compared to a rearward CG setup.

Malcolm

cartercg 05-21-2012 09:55 AM

Hi, I have experienced exactly the same with my Valiant, which was also set up as per Bryan's incidence and CG recommendations. I tried all sorts of things to get rid of it, but it was noticable especially in light wind conditions. I know of some pilots that will do the second spin as a negative spin, whereby there is no jump forward as the spin direction changes. Only a really sharp judge will pick it up, but if they are looking for that cheat then it's a sure zero. Certainly less elevator helps reduce the tendency to jump forward during the direction change, but you still need enough elevator to enter the spin, especially in calm conditions.

I've only just started to fly a Peridot, and I was pleasently surprised to find that it has less of a tendency to jump forward during the reversal. I don't think it has quite as much +ve incidence on the main wing and CG is a little further back than the Valiant (my Peridot has a small tuck to the wheels on L rudder KE).

Regards
Clint

pippy 05-21-2012 10:09 AM

Malcolm and all, I was doing the negative second half spins and I got scores for them. But when it was pointed out to me I decided it should be done the correct way. At our 4 round comp just gone I averaged 7 for my spins which isn't too bad. I think my problem may be the entry, putting the nose up too high and not quite stalling a wing as the judges would like. I will work on this.
The best one can do is minimize the kick back and get the stops right and the judges must ignore the movement backwards as the plane is in a stalled condition.

Malcolm H 05-21-2012 12:49 PM

Hi Paul,

Just checking you got the PM and the email?

Malcolm

Jason Arnold 05-21-2012 02:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Malcolm H

Hi Jason,

Have you used the Hebert trimming method? Models trimmed this way have a very forward CG and require more elevator throw than conventionally trimmed models. They will also need aileron to spin.

My model spins nose down but I'm afraid I don't have any video.

Malcolm
Hi Malcolm,

Yes, I also use the Bryan Hebert timming triangulation method. It works well for me. A more forward CG should actually improve spins & snaps.

I'm finding it hard to picture what the problem actually is to be honest. It almost sounds like the model is flattening out when you stop the first spin.

Have you tried e-mailing Bryan? He's very helpful.

Cheers,
Jason.

pippy 05-21-2012 03:23 PM

Hi Malcolm, I did thanks. It went to an old email.

apereira 05-21-2012 05:14 PM

At this point I will suggest to start high and change the elevator input while in the spin, then you will notice what is the elevator appropiate setting for the spin, the airplane will tend to fly out if it is not fully stalled, use ailerons only if the airplane ask for it. I only use ailerons to change direction.

Regards

Alejandro

jayjayneri 05-21-2012 06:52 PM

Same issue here. What has worked for me is to reduce elevator input to almost zero very briefly when you reverse directions before going back to the regular spin rate throws. It is not easy to be consistent using this method though.

mad_ye 05-21-2012 08:27 PM

Try to apply ailerons fisrt anf then, in a half a second rudder when you change direction of rotation. This way you will stop rotation fast and the plane won't hung leaving the line.

Malcolm H 05-21-2012 11:14 PM

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I did leave a post on Bryan's website so he might get back to me or even better post here.

I will report back if he gets back to me.

Malcolm

underdw 05-22-2012 07:38 PM

I have an additional issue:
The first spin has a fairly slow rotational rate.
When I put the sticks in the opposite corner, the plane does the 2nd spin rotation much faster.
Thoughts?
I use a high idle and some extra elevator throw to get the spin entry better.
I should get a video.

Thanks, Dan

mad_ye 05-24-2012 08:19 PM

Hi Dan

Probably you use too much ailerons. Try to reduce aileron rate after changing direction. E.g. I use ailerons just to reverse rotation and then remove it completely. In this case you may want to adjust your rudder and elevator rates to make spin look more realistic.

Cheers