RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   Help selecting a charger (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/11587982-help-selecting-charger.html)

Fat Albert 10-07-2013 05:39 PM

Help selecting a charger

Hi Guys,

I’ve been flying awhile, but I’m new to “high power”electrics. I’m looking for the best bangfor the buck charger for 10S 5000mah lipo’s I’m using in a couple of patternplanes I recently bought. The 3 frontrunners in my mind are the Thunder Power 1430C (but it only has one output?), Thunder Power 820CD (each output only good to 8S?) or theCellPro 10XP (only one I've seen in action and only 600W). Would anyone be willing toshare their opinions and experiences with these chargers and if you have anysuggestions for something else I’m all ears.

Thanks,
E

Jimmyzrx 10-07-2013 06:03 PM

cell pro 10 xp im very pleased with it charges 2 5s 5000 mah packs at 5A in about 40 minutes it can charge up to 15A takes 21 minutes lol.
I am new to pattern anf from the 4 contests I went to this season just about everyone had 2 cell pro chargers

Dansy 10-07-2013 06:12 PM

+1

serious power 10-07-2013 11:44 PM

Hi,
i charger 4010.
2 channels - 1300W per channel - 10s each side.
I've parked my cell pro's .

Brian

cmoulder 10-08-2013 03:15 AM

I'm using two CellPro 10XP's and an iCharge 3010b and both work great. However, the CellPro units get pretty warm (Hot, actually) when ramped up to full output, which in my mind doesn't bode well for longevity. And I have yet to see Cellpro chargers whose cooling fans don't give out within a few months. I don't know why Revolectrix doesn't use a quality fan with maglev bearings instead of bushings, but they're easy enough to replace and not expensive. The iCharger runs very cool even at 15A 'fast charge' and can go up to 25A output, although I've not used it at full output. The iCharge can charge two 5S batteries as long as they're wired in series or a series adapter is used, along with the appropriate balance board.

Whatever you get, make sure to get a power supply that outputs at least 24 volts. Feathermerchant sells a solid unit that puts out up to 27 volts (at 47 amps) and is not too expensive. Been using one for a few months with zero problems.

Hokie Flyer 10-08-2013 03:53 AM

Zeeb 10-08-2013 12:39 PM

Okay let's get a bit more serious here, for the OP; how are you going to power these chargers? You get some big honking high output charger and it takes a big honking (read expensive) power supply. How are you going to run that PS at the field? Or other fields where there is no AC available?

Charging batteries at high C rates may be quick, but can those here who've done that consistently tell us what it does to battery longevity?

IMHO charging spendy 10S batteries for my pattern plane at over 1C is counterproductive. However my setup can charge 'em at 2C if necessary. My PS is a 24 volt 40 amp unit that can drive both CellPro 10XP's with enough power to charge at 2C AND my Honda generator can feed the whole thing.

Would it be nice if FMA gave you better fans? No doubt but thos chargers are less than half the price of some mentioned here already. Would it be nice if they could do a higher discharge rate? Yes but again it's a matter of cost.

Your choice but if you get around our club, you'll see that the CellPro's are the most common chargers used by the big electrics crowd and if you listen closely, you can hear the Honda generators running those charge boxes... ;)

serious power 10-08-2013 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fat Albert (Post 11633420)
Hi Guys,

I’ve been flying awhile, but I’m new to “high power”electrics. I’m looking for the best bangfor the buck charger for 10S 5000mah lipo’s I’m using in a couple of patternplanes I recently bought. The 3 frontrunners in my mind are the Thunder Power 1430C (but it only has one output?), Thunder Power 820CD (each output only good to 8S?) or theCellPro 10XP (only one I've seen in action and only 600W). Would anyone be willing toshare their opinions and experiences with these chargers and if you have anysuggestions for something else I’m all ears.

Thanks,
E

Hi Zeeb,
Not sure what point you are making - see the op.
He makes critical points re the '3 frontrunners' from his point of view. So the responses should be in the context set by the op.
We have to assume he understands the power supply implications.

Brian

g_mkoch 10-08-2013 02:32 PM

the Icharger 4010 duo is a nice option. I personally been using 1010b+ for the last couple years

Fat Albert 10-08-2013 05:13 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your input so far. I understand that in the long run I'll get a generator, better power supply, etc but for now I'm looking at spreading out the cost so initially I'll be looking at only charging at 1C as my power supply is a Dell Server Supply with only 12V but pretty good amps. For field charging where A/C is not available it will probably be a 12V Battery or maybe 2 for 24V?

Thanks,
E

AmericanSpectre505 10-09-2013 03:34 AM

Elton,

Either of the chargers will do the job very well. I have used the CellPro since 2009 and it works fine ( I wish, I could charge other battery types without having to use a balancing node, plus the charge plug together). For instance, I can not use it to charge my Sentinel A123, no balancing plug.

Hitec/rcd makes a nice power supply for about $100.00 and it;s small ( you need a power supply that is no less than 500W).

Cheap generator that works just fine for a budget; $129.00 (800/900Watts from Harbor Freight and I have one). Champion has a good line of in expensive generators, but they are heavy. I have a new 4000watt for my 33ft camper and it works great.

Deep cycle marine battery works fine (you will pay about the same for the battery as you would for the generator listed below.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog.../category/429/

http://hitecrcd.com/products/charger...supply/product

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LNDAKK

Good luck,....

Bill

Originally Posted by Fat Albert (Post 11634311)
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your input so far. I understand that in the long run I'll get a generator, better power supply, etc but for now I'm looking at spreading out the cost so initially I'll be looking at only charging at 1C as my power supply is a Dell Server Supply with only 12V but pretty good amps. For field charging where A/C is not available it will probably be a 12V Battery or maybe 2 for 24V?

Thanks,
E

cmoulder 10-09-2013 03:54 AM

I'm sure the Hitec PS is a nice unit, but for $118 (PS + dual power cord) the Feathermerchant PS gives you 24V/47A vs Hitec's 18V/30A. Just sayin...

nonstoprc 10-09-2013 05:05 AM

At about $30, I found power unit such as this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-30A-3...item3cd0ab2b76 serves the purpose well. One unit per 10s charger for redundancy.

For safety, I did cut the connection to external 110V input (the N and L terminal) from the circuit board, and solder the two power cord wires at the other end of the cut.

AmericanSpectre505 10-09-2013 07:21 AM

Thats' fine too, but it's a bit on the overkill side,.. The battery is only going to draw what it needs and that is usually no more than 18 Amps at 12-16 Volts.

bill

Originally Posted by cmoulder (Post 11634541)
I'm sure the Hitec PS is a nice unit, but for $118 (PS + dual power cord) the Feathermerchant PS gives you 24V/47A vs Hitec's 18V/30A. Just sayin...

AmericanSpectre505 10-09-2013 07:31 AM

Kool,.... The Traxxas 12-18 volt, 250WATT PS I found is to small....., works. However, the CellPro with trip during charging due to in stability in the charging volts and amps with a 5000- 10S setup. The 500 Watt PS are efficient enough not to due damage to the charger and helps with efficiency, especially when used with a field generator.

Bill

Originally Posted by nonstoprc (Post 11634593)
At about $30, I found power unit such as this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-DC-30A-3...item3cd0ab2b76 serves the purpose well. One unit per 10s charger for redundancy.

For safety, I did cut the connection to external 110V input (the N and L terminal) from the circuit board, and solder the two power cord wires at the other end of the cut.

Zeeb 10-09-2013 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by serious power (Post 11634128)
Hi Zeeb,
<snip>
We have to assume he understands the power supply implications.

Brian

While I understand your observation, I've spent the better part of my adult life trying to get away from assuming anything 'cause it generally gets me in some sort of trouble when I "assume"... lol
Combine that with 30 years of public safety service and the tendency of some folks to treat LiPo batteries casually, I usually try to make sure that I and whoever I'm corresponding with, are on the same page.

Subsequent posts by the OP seem to suggest he has an idea of what's needed for the various options listed, but I don't see that very often in threads like this.

serious power 10-09-2013 09:53 AM

Hi,
I would add ; that buying the support equipment for 'E' flying is similar to buying radio in that it is all too easy to buy that what 'will do for now'.
Some of my club-mates have lots of chargers, power supplies and or power sources that are now redundant.
I think it is better to take time to evaluate and to buy what seems to be a bit extra ,capacity wise.
You don't have to use it at max but you then have it if it is req'd. Also you are then not running the gear too hard.

Brian

lopflyers 10-09-2013 10:36 AM

I have heard so many different opinions about charging faster than 1C!! Some said that if the batt is rated for more than 1C charging is not going to be affected, some others said it would shorten the battery life.
Who do you believe? Do I need to ask an electric engineer?

AmericanSpectre505 10-09-2013 01:34 PM

1C is the way to go. I have spent some time experimenting with different C charge rates. Every battery I tested responded differently TRue RC/Rhino/Zippy/F3A Unlimited 35C 5100. Having created a matric chart I tracked the results over the course of 5 charge/discharge cycles; 5 at 1 C and 5 at 2C and 5 to re-normalize the packs. The 2C charge rate increased the Ohm's per cell on every charge/discharge cycle. The 1C charge rate to re normalize the packs did just that, it brought the Ohms per cell back into range from when I started initially at 1C. Some did better than others. However, I did use a mix of new and older packs (7 packs to be exact) 4- Zippy 25C, 1- TRueRC 20C, 1-Rhino 25C 4900 and 1-35C 5100 from F3AU. I did that by design to simulate longevity (short life cycle test) durability,Efficiencies , among just a few to name.

I also found you can fast field charge at 2-3C if the battery is rated for it and then slow charge it back at 1C and you can see the Ohms drop down after a few flights. I found no advantage of charging at 2C/3C other than to save maybe 20 minutes in charge time. Yes, charging at higher C rates will reduce the life of the battery. Older batteries, well...less resilient, slow to bounce back if at all.

This is just a test I conducted for myself, but figured I'd share since someone asked.

Bill

Originally Posted by lopflyers (Post 11634820)
I have heard so many different opinions about charging faster than 1C!! Some said that if the batt is rated for more than 1C charging is not going to be affected, some others said it would shorten the battery life.
Who do you believe? Do I need to ask an electric engineer?

AmericanSpectre505 10-09-2013 01:43 PM

Certianly no flaw in that approach.:) The subject matter was "affordabilty" for a new comer to the sport (a very seasoned IMAC flier). I have been caught up in the "I need it now and cheap catagory" and purchased better gear later on down the line when it was with in my budget. Plus, you can always pass it down or pass it (the old) on to someone else getting started.

Good point,..........

Bill

Originally Posted by serious power (Post 11634790)
Hi,
I would add ; that buying the support equipment for 'E' flying is similar to buying radio in that it is all too easy to buy that what 'will do for now'.
Some of my club-mates have lots of chargers, power supplies and or power sources that are now redundant.
I think it is better to take time to evaluate and to buy what seems to be a bit extra ,capacity wise.
You don't have to use it at max but you then have it if it is req'd. Also you are then not running the gear too hard.

Brian

lopflyers 10-09-2013 02:00 PM

Awesome experiment B Holsten, now is not he said she said but concrete evidence.
It is not worth the saving 20 minutes, I will charge 1C.
Thanks

4*60 10-09-2013 10:24 PM

Hobbyking has inexpensive but good 200watt _ chargers and power supplies.