RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   "Inspire" - Contra Powered Design - BJ Craft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/11601510-inspire-contra-powered-design-bj-craft.html)

grotow 12-13-2014 03:41 AM

Is the wing incidence set up by the predrilled anti rotation holes considered a baseline?
Gary

underdw 12-13-2014 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by grotow (Post 11936857)
Is the wing incidence set up by the predrilled anti rotation holes considered a baseline?
Gary

That's what I used Gary. Adding the 1/2deg Herb recommends will come close to *****g out my adjusters, so if it's not too late, you may want to wait for my results (tonight hopefully).

Btw, this thing is light! RTF, with heavy 2x600gm batteries, it weighed 4780gm

Dan

HerbK 12-13-2014 09:13 AM

Dan,
You must have left out a few parts:). The prototype at the Nat's with 1237 gram batteries was 4925 on their scale. That was before I added some reinforcement to the Landing Gear block. It might be that in production BJ figured out some ways to save weight.
Herb

underdw 12-14-2014 06:36 AM

Another windless day, perfect for trimming, but ......

By the end of the day I had added all the positive incidence my adjusters would allow: about .75deg, and moved the CG back ~1inch from the starting point at the wing tube bulkhead. With this setup, most of the canopy pull on KE was eliminated when no rudder was applied. However, when I would then add rudder to maintain altitude, it again pulled hard to the canopy.
One flight I removed the canalizer - that had no apparent impact on the problem. I also tried a flight with -.5deg incidence (relative to stock)
Interesting/puzzling was that throughout all these changes, the uplines showed just a little deviation from straight.

I'm just shooting in the dark now, so need to get this thing on a flat table and measure incidences and thrust angle. Perhaps all I need to do is rip out the adjusters to add more + incidence, but I am loath to do this without knowing how the wing relates to the thrust angle.
Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Dan

ram_z 12-14-2014 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by underdw (Post 11937535)
Another windless day, perfect for trimming, but ......

By the end of the day I had added all the positive incidence my adjusters would allow: about .75deg, and moved the CG back ~1inch from the starting point at the wing tube bulkhead. With this setup, most of the canopy pull on KE was eliminated when no rudder was applied. However, when I would then add rudder to maintain altitude, it again pulled hard to the canopy.
One flight I removed the canalizer - that had no apparent impact on the problem. I also tried a flight with -.5deg incidence (relative to stock)
Interesting/puzzling was that throughout all these changes, the uplines showed just a little deviation from straight.

I'm just shooting in the dark now, so need to get this thing on a flat table and measure incidences and thrust angle. Perhaps all I need to do is rip out the adjusters to add more + incidence, but I am loath to do this without knowing how the wing relates to the thrust angle.
Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Dan

In my Episode (with contra) I ended up with +2.5Ddeg with minimum mixes....

HerbK 12-14-2014 08:19 AM

Dan,
I'm surprised that adding the positive incidence with the CG at the wing tube didn't help the knife edge mix. I'm also surprised that removing the canalizer didn't help either. When I first received the Prototype I was having the same issues with the pull to the canopy and tried flying without the canalizer. It helped quite a bit. How much mix do you need if you just used elevator to rudder on your TX?
I know that more incidence was needed on the Episode with the Contra but BJ designed this plane for the Contra so it shouldn't need that kind of change.
Herb

underdw 12-14-2014 03:31 PM

Herb,
Today I measured +1.8deg of wing incidence relative to the thrust line (wing in the "stock" position). That means I would have tried up to 2.5deg at the field. Seems like that should be plenty. So, should I remount the adjusters to try more incidence?
I can't quantify the mix that is needed, as I was using a multi-point spline curve and it is dependent on throws, endpoints, etc. I can just state qualitatively that it pulled hard to canopy.
The only other "knob" that I have is to decrease canalizer incidence (which I neglected to measure this morning).

Dan

HerbK 12-14-2014 04:29 PM

Dan,
I am waiting to hear back from BJ to hear his thoughts on this. Meantime when I first received the plane and had the same pull to the canopy issue I did add a shim under the hold down bolts to the canalizer on the prototype to decrease the incidence on the canalizer. I had Chip Hyde fly the plane to help me trim it in the few days I had before the Nat's. He felt the canalizer had to much positive incidence relative to the main wing. This might be the reason that adding 1/2 degree positive incidence to main wing worked for me to correct the knife edge rudder/elevator. I am on vacation in Cabos so I can't send pictures of what I did until I get back next week.I would hold off on remounting the adjusters or shimming the canalizer until I hear back from BJ. It usually takes a few days for him to respond. I don't know if he made any changes to the incidence of the wing or canalizer between the prototype and the production model.
Herb

pippy 12-18-2014 11:21 AM

BJ has issued an email that the incidence setting jig on the inspire was misaligned so a jig is being sent with each as to how to get the correct wing incidence.
This sounds like the reason for the problems people are having with pull to the canopy. Any thoughts on this.

underdw 12-18-2014 11:51 AM

Heading to the field to test this in a few minutes.

pippy 12-18-2014 12:03 PM

Great. Look forward to the results.

HerbK 12-18-2014 12:21 PM

Glad that Mike Mueller and I got BJ involved as he was able to determine that the antirotation pin holes for the main wing were not in the proper place on the fuselage. This caused the incidence to be different then it was on my prototype. The 1/2 degree correction that worked on my prototype was not enough on the first production planes to correct the knife edge mix needed. Hopefully the correction that he recommends in his email to everyone that bought a Inspire before he corrected the production issue will take care of the pull to the canopy in knife edge. BTW as a customer I am very impressed and appreciate the effort made by BJ to respond to this issue and take responsibility for admitting the production issue and personally emailing everyone who bought an Inspire that he had an issue and what to do about it.

Herb

underdw 12-18-2014 06:23 PM

Well, my test session was successful. I only got 2 flights before a regulator spontaneously blew up when I plugged it in for the next flight.

I found that when I went to the extremes of my newly re-mounted wing adjusters (+3.5deg with respect to thrust line) and a more aft CG (~1" behind the wing tube bulkhead), the pull to canopy with rudder application seemed to be cured! I didn't get a chance to experiment with more moderate combinations of incidence and CG. Curiously and thankfully, uplines remained straight despite all this change.
I also wanted to try some down incidence in the canalizer just for fun.

Looking forward to other's flight reports.

Dan

HerbK 12-18-2014 09:12 PM

Dan,
Very glad to hear that the correction worked. BJ told me that the production plane you have already has the canalizer incidence adjustment that I mentioned so don't think you need to make that change. I have straight uplines and a couple of degrees of down with low throttle on downlines.I would like to hear about your spin entries with the CG back that far. I'll be back in SF next week and will get back to flying depending on weather.I will do some testing of different incidences and CG's and compare to what you and other's are seeing.
Herb

grotow 12-19-2014 02:33 PM

I have never used a wing adjuster with a tube passing through fuselage. Can somebody explain how to secure tube (from side to side movement) without locking up adjuster? Thanks.

Gary

underdw 12-19-2014 06:05 PM

Gary,
The short little tubes get glued in and engage the adjusters. See my picture in post #40 - the stock adjusters work similarly to the Gator adjuster I show.
I did not use the longer tube; I think this is for engaging the incidence template through the front set of holes.
Dan

grotow 12-19-2014 07:34 PM

Dan,
Are sure about that? In post #41 in the picture indicating CG you can definitely see the tube going through adjusters.
Gary

underdw 12-19-2014 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by grotow (Post 11944298)
Dan,
Are sure about that? In post #41 in the picture indicating CG you can definitely see the tube going through adjusters.
Gary

Yes, I am sure I did not use the long tube:D LOL
I did add a small radio try that spans across the fuse in the area of the adjusters. This provides the lateral support that may be the intention of the tube shown in post 41.

HerbK 12-19-2014 09:51 PM

I use the long tube in the rear on all of my BJ planes. On the Inspire prototype as shown in post 41 BJ had installed two adjusters on the long rear tube I normally only use adjusters on the short front tubes so when I set up the plane I used two more adjusters on the front short tubes as well. I attach the short tubes directly to the adjusters but these can be attached to the wing works the same either way.When I change the wing incidence I change both the front and rear adjusters. I make sure the rear long tube remains perfectly level after incidence adjustment.With these type of adjusters you can glue the tube to the adjuster so they will not move side to side but will still move up and down for incidence adjustment.

grotow 12-20-2014 04:21 AM

What gluing technique do you use to prevent the movable plate from attaching to adjuster base?

HerbK 12-20-2014 08:43 AM

Gary,
I use 5 minute epoxy applied to the tube and the movable part of the adjuster. If you are concerned about the epoxy getting in between the two parts of the adjuster you can use a small amount of vaseline where you don't want the epoxy to stick. BTW i use the vaseline on the blind nut threads as well so the screw can turn after the adjuster is glued to the fuselage.
Herb

pippy 12-24-2014 12:14 PM

Dan, could you describe and post a picture of the canopy hatch set up please.

grotow 12-24-2014 05:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2057648http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2057649Pippy,

I inserted 13cm wire through 12cm tubing. Then passed that assembly through fuselage and appendage in center of fuselage. Then I glued white spheres to ends of wire and glued tubing to appendage. Gary

pippy 12-25-2014 01:16 AM

Thanks Gary, it looks like you didn't pin it or glue it I a ny way in the centre. Is your tube tight in the guide hole at the centre.
My one is very lose so the whole thing moves very easy.

grotow 12-25-2014 05:21 AM

I did glue tube to the guide hole.