RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   Spark F3A, from Krill Models - SPAIN TEAM (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/6796748-spark-f3a-krill-models-spain-team.html)

lyka 01-05-2010 07:48 AM

RE: Spark F3A, from Krill Models - SPAIN TEAM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: ytell

Hi

If any of the Spark builders who used the Plettenberg motor can post some pictures of the motor assembly it would be greatly appreciated.

Any tip on the issue is also very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Yoav
Hi Yoav..and Happy New Year !!!!..

Look this ...something is something....

apereira 01-05-2010 08:48 AM

Feliz Año Nuevo Andres!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mis mejores deseos para ti y tu familia este nuevo año.

Alejandro

ytell 01-05-2010 11:19 AM

Thanks, this is definately something, unfortunately not enough, at least for me, to install the Platty in the Spark. I purchased the Plettenberg mount from Krill and it doesn't seem to be simple to complete this without some assembly instructions or photos or both.

Yoav

can773 01-05-2010 11:32 AM

Yoav

Please look here,

http://electric-f3a.com/Installation%20Pictures.htm

For pictures of how I installed the Pletty in an Integral. Different model but the idea is the same, I use this same mounting technique for the motor in all my planes.

lyka 01-05-2010 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: apereira

Feliz Año Nuevo Andres!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mis mejores deseos para ti y tu familia este nuevo año.

Alejandro
Ale !!!!!-estimado amigo....gratos recuerdos, grandes momentos !!!

RecÃ*procos deseos !!!!!

nos veremos ??????..saludos al resto del equipo Venezolano

ytell 01-06-2010 02:16 PM

Thanks Chud. I'm starting to get the idea.

Yoav

ytell 01-08-2010 10:56 AM

One more question regarding motor support, guys

Since the motor is attached to the mout from behind, it appear to me that some kind of support is required where the shaft exits the fuselage to prevent those gyroscopic movments. Something similar to the nose ring used in IC engine aircraft. Should I worry about this at all?

Thanks

Yoav

can773 01-08-2010 11:53 AM

As long as your firewall is very stiff its not an issue.

ytell 01-09-2010 07:14 AM

OK & thanks, Chud

Yoav

lyka 01-17-2010 04:11 PM

Early attempts to sequence F.11.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyzW8pa5tRQ[/youtube]

ytell 01-18-2010 10:38 AM

Looks very good.
Can we please have your setup (Motor, prop, Lipo, ECS)? are you using break in downlines?

Regards,

Yoav

ytell 01-18-2010 10:39 AM

Looks very good.
Can we please have your setup (Motor, prop, Lipo, ECS)? are you using break in downlines?

Regards,

Yoav

lyka 01-18-2010 02:19 PM

Looks very good.

Regards,

Yoav

Hi Yoav....

Motor Hacker C50 14XL competition
Prop: 21x14 PT Model ( carbon)
Lipo: TP 5300 , POLIQUEST 4350 25C, RHINO 4900 20C, DESIREE 4500 20C
ESC SPIN 99, with 80% brake.

cheers.

ytell 01-18-2010 02:38 PM

Thanks,

And how much mah (on average) do you consume when flying F11 sequence ?

Regards,

Yoav

lyka 01-18-2010 03:47 PM

Thanks,

And how much mah (on average) do you consume when flying F11 sequence ?

Regards,

Yoav
wind calm day...2800 mA.

wind Hard day 3650 mA.

regards

ytell 01-19-2010 12:20 PM

Thanx

Yoav

BERUSTY 01-26-2010 09:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Custom "Spark" wings/stabs...from a Spark!

Custom "Spark" wing and stab kits from masters champion Dave Snow are available:

Spark wing kit featuring laser cut ribs, DVD manual and full size plans $90.00
Spark wing jig to simplify and speed construction $75.00
Spark inspired 4 degree an-hedral stabilizer kits $60.00 (includes building jig)

Dave Snow has created a very nice wing and stab kit which will save 5+ ounces for the wings and 3+ ounces for the stabs. The wings are exact replicas of the original Krill Spark (newest have smaller/larger ailerons?). The 4 degree an-hedral stab will save at least 3 ounces. The stab is not an exact copy (no notch at tip) but with similar airfoils.

My wings and stabs are ready to cover and I am looking forward to flying the new "Spark" flying surfaces on my Integral in 2010 and appreciate Dave's engineering skills. Dave can be reached @ [email protected] for more information.

Dave sent me the following to post:

"...

There are two wing rib kits that I have: one based off the Spark wing and one based off the Passport wing. At this time I do not have a direct replacement for the Integral but what we did for my dad was to use the Spark wing on his Integral to reduce the overall weight of the plane (14.5 oz panels finished with servo) and help the snaps, it did both of these. The ribs have the original Spark dihedral of 7/16" cut into them (Integral is 1/2" dihedral) but this can be easily adjusted during construction. My dads plane still needed a slight amount of mix, less than 3%, in roll so it could use maybe another 1/16" added to make the dihedral 1/2". The Spark uses a 30 mm dia tube (same as the Integral) and the PassPort uses the 7/8" dia tube, not supplied in the kits.

There is also a stab rib kit based on the Sparks stab general size but simplified with the addition of the 4 deg anhedral. We have not flown this stab but after building several they seem very stiff and light. The root ribs of the stab have a slot for a Gator adjuster, but is not required if you would like the original anti-rotation system. On the Integral my dad was flying last year the finished stab panels were over 4.5 oz each, these new ones we have finished for him each weigh 3 oz. The original plane's stab tube can be reused with a paper socket in the stab panel, there are several pictures showing this.

Here are pictures of the wings and stabs under construction. The CD that Rusty mentions has more of these pictures, no step by step instructions. The set of pictures "sp" are the first Spark wings panels being built without a jig, the wing jig is shown in the "j" pictures and the "s" pictures are the stab.

The kits contain the plans, ribs (3/32"), spars (1/4"), web shearing (1/16") and root ribs / doublers (1/8" lite play).
Additional material required: glues, 3/32" balsa sheeting (4"x36"x16 pcs wings, 3"x36"x6 pcs stab), 1/4" balsa leading edge, 1/2" balsa aileron/elevator leading edge and 1/2" balsa for tips. Miscellaneous wood for mounting servos and hardware, socket material for wing adjusters and stab adjusters for stab. Also a 30 mm x 600 mm PBG wing tube and socket is needed for the wing and the stab can reuse the original tube with a paper socket in the stab panel.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or I confused you too much.

Dave Snow

..."

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba

Jason Arnold 02-15-2010 05:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: sleeping

This is only one of two in Australia.

But after the World's with Andrew at the sticks, I think that's going to change very quickly.

- James
Now there's three!

Very happy with the model even though it's the 2008 version. I like the carbon canopy better than the 2009 version one.

AXI 5325/24 for power on a RASA 20 x 13 prop with Jeti ESC. Plan to try a RASA 20 x 15 and 20.5 x 14 this week. Only drawing 50A on the 20 x 13....

Weight came in a little higher than expected at 4965 grams. Jenny Craig weight loss program now in progress. Lost 10 grams in one day! Next weigh-in in a couple of days... :D

Cheers
Jason.

2Sunny 02-15-2010 04:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Aussie_Knife_Edge

Now there's three!

Very happy with the model even though it's the 2008 version. I like the carbon canopy better than the 2009 version one.

AXI 5325/24 for power on a RASA 20 x 13 prop with Jeti ESC. Plan to try a RASA 20 x 15 and 20.5 x 14 this week. Only drawing 50A on the 20 x 13....

Weight came in a little higher than expected at 4965 grams. Jenny Craig weight loss program now in progress. Lost 10 grams in one day! Next weigh-in in a couple of days... :D

Cheers
Jason.

Way awesome looking plane, and I am most definitely jealous of your weather! You'll love the RASA 20.5 x 14; I tried the 20 x 13 and the 20.5 x14 on my Delro a few weeks back when there was a break in our winter and found the 20.5 x 14 to be a stellar performer. Light, quiet, and perfectly balanced out of the box.

What can you say about the Spark on the 20 x 13, and how does the Spark compare in general to other planes you've had?

Thanks a bunch,

Joe P

Jason Arnold 02-15-2010 06:43 PM

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your kind comments.

What motor are you using in your Delro?

The 20 x 13 RASA performs quite well in the Spark but I think I have the headroom for a little more grunt hence trying the different props. AXI recommend the 20 x 13 for the 5325/24 but with a maximum current of 48-50A I feel safe in moving to a bigger prop. I think the 20.5 x 14 is in between the 20 x 13 & 20 x 15 props load wise.

Cheers
Jason.

2Sunny 02-15-2010 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jason,

My Delro is running on a Plettenberg 25-12 which was shown with a 20 x 13 as a maximum prop size as well, but handled the 20.5 x 14 with no trouble. I have a thread, [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9271587/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm]Plettenberg 25-12 is it enough?[/link], running in which I discuss my experience with this 520g motor.

BUT . . .

I'm genuinely interested in hearing some more input on the Spark as I'm always on the lookout for the next plane and the Spark is one of the few e-machines that comes in complete ARF format. Plus I'm fascinated by your choice of motor as it is a fraction of the cost of the Plettenberg and if it is flying your Spark well on a 20 x 13 at 50 amps, it may be a more efficient choice than the monster 30-10.

Don't forget to let us know how you like the RASA 20.5 x 14 as well!

Joe

Jason Arnold 02-15-2010 10:00 PM

G'day Joe,

I think the Petty 25-12 and AXI 5325/24 are pretty similar. The AXI is about 50 grams heavier though. I suspect that Plettenberg is saving most of their weight with the laminations being used on the stator. They have holes in them. Steel is heavy!

My experience with the spark is very limited. It has only 15 flights on it including 1 competition. I'm yet to put any mixing on it as I'm still early into the trimming process not that trimming ever ends... Looks like it pulls to the belly a little on knife edge but my CG is not finalised yet. Want to move it forward a tad further.

Previously I was flying a glow powered Pinnacle. I don't miss the mess of glow fuel BUT one thing I have noticed is the oil stops things from rusting! ;) The Spark feels to be a much better model than the Pinnacle at this stage. Having flown glow for so long, I'm finding it a real task to get used to the electric power curve. Comments from the judges was that I need to get up it more i.e. push the throttle stick further forward. Been playing around with the trottle curve to improve this.

If the weather is ok, I'll give the Spark a fly tonight. Firstly with the 20 x 15 RASA and then with the 20.5 x 14 RASA. I'll let you know how it all goes.

I've ordered some new packs too. TP 45/90C 4400mAh. Currently using TP 5300mAh F3A packs. Should give me even more power.

Looks bloody cold up your way.. Been very wet down here of late and very humid as well.

Cheers
Jason.

2Sunny 02-16-2010 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wassup Jason :)

Hey, I have a 4400 TP pack, and it is "killer" for a single sequence, light weight, competition pack. The only downside being the reduction in practice time.

I hope you will share in some detail your experiences in trimming out the Spark and developing a feel for the e power versus your previous experience. Your transition both from the standpoint of plane and power is truly interesting, and I for one would love to hear plenty more on what you learn in the coming weeks and months. I would add that you might try emailing Chris Moon at F3AUnlimited regarding your throttle control as I have found him to be a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge with regard to electric power.

As a simple Intermediate flyer my biggest issue is rolling in an axial fashion. Do you have any feel for how well the Spark rolls axially?

Thanks again,

Joe

P.S. On a completely irrelevant but very cool note look what showed up in my back yard today :)

Jason Arnold 02-16-2010 09:54 PM

Who, Who, Who turned up... :D

We've had all sorts of things turn up in our back yard. I live on Acres and we've had Wallabies(small kangaroo), Echidnas (spikey little buggers), Frog mouth owls, Bats, Plenty of deadly red belly black snakes (one bit my dog), Funnel Web Spiders (deadly but the Kookaburra eats them)...

My Eagle Tree arrived last night so I will be hooking it up before flying again.

Going to try the Bryan Hebert Triangulation Trimming on the Spark too.

The 4400 45/90 packs are the same weight as the 5300 F3A packs I have so it should work out well. Flight time should not be an issue as I normally only fly one sequence and land anyway.

Will post my graphs when I get it all working properly.

Cheers
Jason.

Jason Arnold 02-21-2010 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Joe,

A pretty picture for you...

RASA 20.5 x 14 prop, TP 5300 F3A packs. RPM unknown (Blew up my RPM sensor).

Will have to do a manual RPM measurement.

Cheers
Jason.