RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   change Focus Sport to Electric (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/8622061-change-focus-sport-electric.html)

randy10926 03-27-2009 12:41 PM

change Focus Sport to Electric

I have zero experience with electrics, so I have no idea how to change this plane over nor what set-up to use.

HELP!!!:D

Chris Moon 03-27-2009 01:28 PM

RE: change Focus Sport to Electric

Sent PM

marty spuehler 04-17-2009 11:42 AM

Randy, I'm trying to contact you with no success. E-mails keep bouncing back and your voice mail box is full. Please PM me with an alternate contact method. Want to mail the part to you.

Marty

randy10926 04-19-2009 11:43 AM

So far I am going with a 2000watt dualsky motor, castle HV85 ESC and a pair of TrueRC 40005s packs (for a 10s pack). I have ordered the parts to make a custom mount from espirit. Thanks for the recommendation Chris.

Then I get to order the charger and all the other stuff I am sure I forgot or have not figured out yet. Of course I need more batteries and even more batteries when they come back in stock.

I guess it is time to take the OS1.20ax off. Then I can change out the rear bearing for an OS SS and put it for sale.

OK any suggestions on what charger to get?

[email protected]
Randy

J Lachowski 04-19-2009 06:16 PM

Using Dualsky is a setup for failure

grotto2 04-19-2009 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: randy109

OK any suggestions on what charger to get?

[email protected]
Randy
I'm having great luck with my Cellpro 10s. It seems to be stupid-proof.
....and they keep putting it on sale. Be sure and check FMA for specials.

jlkonn 04-19-2009 06:28 PM

I'll second the FMA stuff both the 10s and Multi4. Be sure to get the data cable.
:)
It's worth evey penny.
Like Grott mentioned they have a lot of specials. If you go to their website and subscribe
to their email notification some really good deals come along every month.
Good luck!
JLK

Ed Lyerly 04-20-2009 01:20 PM

Randy,
The Focus Sport is really an 8S airplane ..... no reason to "over battery" it with 10S, which will just make it heavier.
You could use the same power train I used in my Inspire 90 a couple years ago:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=Inspire+90

If I were doing this plane today, here is what I would use:

Motor = E Flite Power 110 or similar in specifications (295 kv and 490 grams weight)

ESC = CC HV85, Jeti 90 or equivalent.

Batteries = Hobby City Rhino 3700's ( a pair of 4S packs) trust me these are great batteries ... will give you 7-8 minute flights.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack

Prop = APC-E 17x10

Battery Charger = Thunder Power 1010C with 210V balancer.

Ed

randy10926 04-27-2009 11:38 AM

Well I set of 4000 5s TrueRC showed up last Friday and will get of the batteries you suggested. Then I can try them out and compare them.

The motor I have is 2000 watt, 235 KV and 470 grams. I am concerned that I may not get enough RPMs with a 235 KV motor on 8s. As I may having some problems figure out how mount the thing I may need to get a motor with more KV.

The castle HV85 showed last week also. It has a huge heat sink.

randy10926 04-27-2009 12:03 PM

well live and learn or re-learn in this case. Starting on a new technology with unique hardware is problematic. You create too many unknowns for a newbie to handle.

I just ordered an e-flite 110 and a matching mount. The higher KV should give the same RPM as the other motor on 10s. The e-flite already has a stock motor mount. Also other people use it so you have someone to ask question to.

Ed Lyerly 04-27-2009 01:15 PM

Randy,
I believe you will be MUCH happier with an 8S setup, and either the Power 110 or a Hacker A50 14L is just about perfect for this plane . If you need any help, just PM me.
I spoke with another guy who wants to convert a Focus Sport to electric this weekend. The more of these that are flying electric, the more feedback and info you will have to work with.
Ed

burtona 04-27-2009 05:23 PM

Ed, Looking at the Hacker specs, I wonder if an A50 -12L with a 6S battery would provide a good combination that would be a little lighter in a Focus Sport?
What do you think?
What AXI motor would be comparable to the Hacker A50 12L?
Thanks, Dave

Ed Lyerly 04-27-2009 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: burtona

Ed, Looking at the Hacker specs, I wonder if an A50 -12L with a 6S battery would provide a good combination that would be a little lighter in a Focus Sport?
What do you think?
What AXI motor would be comparable to the Hacker A50 12L?
Thanks, Dave
Sorry Dave,
I have an A50 10S sitting here for another project (6S) .... and A50 14L ( 300 Kv ) is what I meant to post. I will correct the original post. Thanks for catching the error.
I would not use 6S on this airplane ..... IMHO, just too much airplane (size and weight) for 6S.
Ed

randy10926 04-30-2009 06:21 PM

Well the E-Flite 110 and espirit mount have arrived. Instead of looking at my original motor for hours trying to figure out how to mount it; I was able to figure it out and get the motor and mount together in about an hour. I am using the e-flite mount from espirt so the motor just bolts on using the already drilled holes. I am using the 2.5 inch extensions. I ordered some Zippy batteries for an 8s pack but they ain't arrived from the other end of the planet yet.

Now I get to figure out how to mount it to the fuse now. Since the firewall is flat I plan on trimming the provided shim plate. This plate fairly thick so I am going to cut it to as thin as I can. Time for the really teeny tiny table saw from good olde harbor freight.

Maybe a few photos later if the camera still works.

randy10926 05-31-2009 12:37 PM

Well It has been a well but I am slowly making progress.  The eflite motor/mount has been installed.  The 2.5 inch esprit motor mount works well.  Just center is on the provided shim and mount it.  Doing this ended up with as centered a motor shaft as I can get.  I did have to drill my own mount holes though the back plate to not interfere with the mount of the shim.

In order to finally decide if I should go with 2 servos in the tail or one up with the rudder servo; I put the plane together with the batteries up against the wing tub.   The plane is real tail heavy with the batteries here.  It balances out with the batteries about half between the wing tube and firewall.   As a result my decision is to use one servo up with the rudder servo.

Ed Lyerly 06-01-2009 06:52 PM

Randy,</p>

Get one of these prop adapters (will fit the Power 110).  This allows you to use an 8mm shaft ..... which will center APC-E props using the 8mm bushing APC supplies with "E" props.  The prop adapter that comes with the Power 110 is either 10mm or 12mm .... just too big.</p>

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/propadap....hQueryId=23008</p>

Ed</p>

randy10926 06-21-2009 11:40 AM

Picture from the front. You should be able to see the e-flite 110, castle 85HV and epirit motor mount. The shim and firewall are drilled though at the center. The wires to the batteries and receiver pass though this hole. The bottom of the firewall has been drill though with a larger hole. It is lines up with the large hole in the bottom of the engine cowling. This is for the cooling air for the batteries. The ESC is cable tied in the middle of the mount. The ESC is cable tied into the mount to make sure things can not move around and create wear and tear. Somehow I think letting wires with 30V DC wear the insulation off would not be a good idea.

randy10926 06-21-2009 12:01 PM

Next is the battery mounting plate. I gorilla glued the plate between the landing gear supports and the mounting rail I had put in for the engine servo. The Plate consists of cross grained layers of 1/32 basswood which are gorilla glued together.

randy10926 06-21-2009 12:06 PM

Finally is the bottom air exit. I cut a section of the bottom of the Fuse off. The entire foam bottom section for about 2-2.5 inches. It is a larger hole than the air entrance. It is cut at an angle to impove the air flow (I hope) and skinned with 1/16 balsa (using the required gorilla glue). Pic is from the top and you should be able to see from the top though the fuse (I hope).

randy10926 06-21-2009 01:49 PM

Finished. Pre-first flight photo. I need a workshop

My workshop wish is being granted. Just got a contract on a house with a 2 car garage.

Ed Lyerly 06-22-2009 10:27 AM

Looking good Randy !
Good luck with your maiden http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ular_smile.gif

Ed

randy10926 07-07-2009 07:18 PM

SWEET First flight this evening. What a nice flying plane. I started with a 17X10E prop, which ain't enough for this motor/battery combo. So I am ordering an 18X10E to try next. As some one already said this is an 8s plane.

Ed Lyerly 07-07-2009 08:45 PM

Hi Randy,
Congratulations on your successful maiden.
A couple more props you might like to try are:
(1) 18x12 APC-E
(2) 15.75 x 13 (3) blade APC pattern prop.
Please keep us posted on your progress.
Ed

randy10926 07-21-2009 12:41 PM

The 18X10 is working just fine so far. I have the esc setup at 85% max throttle and have more than enough power and speed. It will go out of the box vertically while rolling. Sound test was in the mid 80s on the ground.

Just ordered the graphics package from Bad Brad. Still need to order some of that $100 once of lightness product (probably change the metal wing tube and landing gear out to start).

Ed Lyerly 07-21-2009 04:35 PM

Randy,
Thanks for sharing, and glad to hear your E-Focus Sport is living up to your expectations. Please keep us posted on your day-to-day experiences as you get more flying time into this project.
Ed