RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   Hacker C50-14XL cooling fan Problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/9004220-hacker-c50-14xl-cooling-fan-problem.html)

67685 08-10-2009 06:49 AM

Hacker C50-14XL cooling fan Problem

Hi Folks!

Day after our F3A-Nationals, i was doing some routin inspection/service of my Hacker C50-14XL-Comp, when i found the internal-fan broken.
To be specific; the aft disc of the fan has broken off in one-piece, left loose between the rotor and fan.

Hmm, i haven`t noticed any unusual when flying, but i got suspisious when i turned the motor on my bench, doing the service... Obviously some loose parts...

Anyone seen this before ? The motor has approx 300 flights, and has been running like a rolex all time; no issues at all.

Thanks!
Kjell Olav

flyf3a 08-10-2009 10:26 AM

RE: Hacker C50-14XL cooling fan Problem

Hi

Happened to one of our pilots, fan shattered and subsequently damaged inside of motor, sent away to Hacker and awaiting their reply. Motor had a bit more flights on than yours as he bought it second hand.

Regards
Burt

VerneK 08-10-2009 12:02 PM

I had one come loose from a few of the impellor blades it was bonded to. Kyle, at Hacker-USA advised me that he just removes the phenolic disc when that happens and did so with mine. I flew it that way for about a half season after that without any problems. In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I caused the de-bonding by holding on to the phenolic disc one time when I removed the rotor while re-greasing the gear box. As you probably know, the rotor gets pulled back into the case rather rapidly because of the magnetic force. I'm sure the phenolic flexed enough in the process to break a couple of the small glue joints between the disc and the impellor blades. I now hold the rotor tightly by the splined end with a cloth towel whenever I remove and re-install the rotor. The short answer is that you can simply remove the phenolic disc and scrape off any glue remnants off the impellor with an x-acto blade. Hope this helps.

Verne Koester

ORIGINAL: 67685

Hi Folks!

Day after our F3A-Nationals, i was doing some routin inspection/service of my Hacker C50-14XL-Comp, when i found the internal-fan broken.
To be specific; the aft disc of the fan has broken off in one-piece, left loose between the rotor and fan.

Hmm, i haven`t noticed any unusual when flying, but i got suspisious when i turned the motor on my bench, doing the service... Obviously some loose parts...

Anyone seen this before ? The motor has approx 300 flights, and has been running like a rolex all time; no issues at all.

Thanks!
Kjell Olav

67685 08-17-2009 12:03 PM

Thanks for your reply guys !

I sent the motor to Hacker in Germany for investment, and they disassembled the motor for complete inspection. They changed both motor- and gearbox-bearings + the coling fan. The planetary-gear-bearings (3ea) was not changed, i guess my mobil 28-grease have done the job quite good. In fact, they still look like new :-).

Hacker/germany has excellent service, and i must say i am suprised of the low pricing for the complete work.

Thanks,
Kjell Olav