RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   Oxai Amethyst thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/9394824-oxai-amethyst-thread.html)

flyf3a 01-07-2010 06:15 AM

Oxai Amethyst thread

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Having finished and Oxai model late last year some advise and caution. As the plane comes very much ready to fly one can't really call this a building thread, hence some photos on the installations performed. The box arrived three weeks after being ordered and was found to be the normally high quality finish one expects from Oxai. Weight of the plane out of the box was 2600 grams and I immediately knew that weight was going to be a problem as I already had complete Hacker Comp set-up with Jetti Spin controller.

On completion of all standard and lightest possible recommended equipment (Futaba, MK hardware, etc) the plane was a whopping 200 grams over weight meaning that some drastic and expensive weight reduction had to take place. On contacting Oxai I was told that the plane was within the manufactured weight specifications (they keep record of every part manufactured). As this was my sixth plane purchase from them I was told that if I was un-happy, I could send the plane back to them and they would refund or supply another make. Great customer service compared to some other war stories I have read on this site.

After discussion with Wolfgang Matt he confirmed that the weight was on spec and that the only significant reduction can be achieved with spinner, prop and lighter batteries. So started the expensive extras (carbon prop from Mejlik, carbon spinner from Philippe Marquette and new set of TP 4350 pro-lite packs) to get the plane at a finished weight of 4994 grams. Wolfgang states that his plane as flown at the W/Champs with TP 4350 was 4950 grams and that they use the TP 5300 mainly for practise.

Plane flies like a dream, snaps are great and handles cross winds better than I thought. Below are my throws as set-up with Futaba 14 MZ. I know it sound like too much expo but try it, even if on a separate condition switch.

Elevators 14 mm up 13 mm down (65% expo)
Aileron 18 mm up and down (60 % expo and no differential)
Rudder (70% expo)
No snap throws
4% up elevator mixed to both left and right rudder
4 % right aileron to left rudder and the same amount amount reversed for right rudder. This will give you perfect flat rudder turns.
For knife edge 2% down elevator for both left and right rudder and aileron mix stays the same.
2% down elevator on low throttle setting for down lines.

flyf3a 01-07-2010 06:18 AM

RE: Oxai Amethyst thread

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Some photos on the installations done.

flyf3a 01-07-2010 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Weight of carbon spinner and prop, almost 70 grams in weight saved.

Niall 01-07-2010 06:30 AM

Hi,
Can you tell me what make and size the wheels are, do you have a weight for them?

Thanks

Niall

flyf3a 01-07-2010 06:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

The only part not supplied with the kit as with past Oxai kits is the battery tray. Laminated some 2mm balsa with carbon (10 grams of weight) and battery straps from a helicopter friend. Plane is extremely visible in the air and you will either like or hate the paint design.

flyf3a 01-07-2010 06:40 AM

Hi

MK tetra 55 mm wheels, 28 grams both wheels. See your are from Cork, was there in 2001 when the W/Champ's was held, great town, great people and even greater local beer.

serious power 01-07-2010 12:46 PM

Hi,
Does the 2600g include uc legs and spats, or what.

Brian

Rhilluk 01-07-2010 01:32 PM

where can you get the magnetic power switch from?

Mvelez 01-07-2010 02:23 PM

Hello!

Where can I find the Phillipe marquette spinner? any ebsite?

thank you!

Mvelez

Jason Arnold 01-07-2010 02:31 PM

Emcotec make magnetic power switches with built in regulator.

Cheers
Jason.

Niall 01-07-2010 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: flyf3a

Hi

MK tetra 55 mm wheels, 28 grams both wheels. See your are from Cork, was there in 2001 when the W/Champ's was held, great town, great people and even greater local beer.
Thanks for the info, probably met you back then as I was the flightline director, We sure had a good night when they were handing out the free beer :D

Cheers
Niall

flyf3a 01-08-2010 01:05 AM

Hi

Yes it does. Landing gear and spats 140 gram in total.

Burt

flyf3a 01-08-2010 01:14 AM

Hi

You can contact him directly at [email protected] or go to the web page of www.f3alorenz.de who also stock the product.

Burt

flyf3a 01-08-2010 01:20 AM

Hi

I changed from Power Box to Emcotec as the new switch version can take a higher current draw. With seven digital servos decided to be cautious. With 900 mah receiver pack still get over 10 flights before having to charge battery. It is a great product.

Burt

serious power 01-08-2010 02:04 PM

Hi Burt,
Thanks, thats exactly the same as our Venturas.

Emcotec sell direct ; www.rc-electronic.com
Click on the Union Jack top right.
Look at 'Micro DPSI Systems'
Their regulated switch weighs 28g but that includes 3x300mm cables; 20g net.
Check out their 6mm connectors, the best I've seen.

Brian

hezik 10-23-2010 06:21 AM

Does the Amethyst have dihedral in top-and bottom wing? I have a picture straight taken from 'dead ahead', and judging from that picture I'd say the top wing has negative dihedral and the bottom wing positive.. is this correct, or is that distortion (ie. bad camera lens) of the picture I have?

flyf3a 10-24-2010 01:33 AM

Hi.

Correct, has negative dihedral.

Burt

hezik 10-24-2010 06:48 AM

in both wings? or just the top wing? or top negative, bottom positive?

(and thx for answering :))

Velco 06-09-2014 07:45 AM

Purchased used Amethyst and forgot to ask the previous owner for the correct CG. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Velco