RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Pattern Aircraft (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/)
-   -   YS Electric Motors?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-pattern-aircraft-385/9988944-ys-electric-motors.html)

Mastertech 09-08-2010 04:08 PM

YS Electric Motors??

How long until Mr Yamada brings out an Electric Motor?

Seeing the path F3A is taking, I'm sure he sees the same thing. I'm betting it'll happen.

I say within a year.

Derek.Koopowitz 09-08-2010 04:11 PM

RE: YS Electric Motors??

ORIGINAL: Mastertech

Seeing the path F3A is taking, I'm sure he sees the same thing. I'm betting it'll happen.

I say within a year.
Don't hold your breath! :D F3A is not YS's bread and butter...

Passport1 09-08-2010 04:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Derek.Koopowitz

I say within a year.
Remember when OS said they would never build a gas motor lol

C

Derek.Koopowitz 09-08-2010 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Passport1

I say within a year.

I'll probably eat my words but I'm still not going to hold my breath... I just don't see it happening. [&:]

Ricardo M. 09-08-2010 04:48 PM

If CPLR make the switch to E-power they would need to make an E-power motor.

Passport1 09-08-2010 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Passport1

I say within a year.

I'll probably eat my words but I'm still not going to hold my breath... I just don't see it happening. [&:]
If I was not ancient and had not been around when the only choice in pattern was a good .60 I might feel the same way. I am just going back to the day when we heard YS was making a 4 stroke and we all thought it was crazy. Look what happened!

Knowing and respecting the Yamadas like I do it would not surprise me one bit if they were to come out with an electric motor that not only has great performance it charges the batteries while it runs lol

C

patternflyer1 09-08-2010 10:57 PM

That would be impressive and I had thought about that before, as I'm sure many of us have. A motor that is a generator at the same time. Ahhhhh, wouldn't life be great then! lol

BTW Chip, the planes are looking great!

Chris

apereira 09-09-2010 06:54 AM

I've been noticing the increased amount of dead sticks on electrics, on the Euros there were two against none on the YS. YS have a lot of users maybe more than certain brands of electrics. What would happen if Mayr would have a dead stick on the finals instead of the prelims??

The CDI was Yamada's response to electrics.

Velco 09-09-2010 07:48 AM

I do not know which type of problem Mayer had but I know that Jonathan had a problem with his Jeti Spin 99, which died after 3000 flights!

Velco

tuny 09-09-2010 09:02 AM

3000 flights???? that means at least 1 fligth every day for the past 8 years....... I dont think so...

Velco 09-09-2010 09:18 AM

His own words.

Top F3A guys fly almost every day and if we presume that it is 150 days a year (especially if you live in Spain) with 7 flight/day this is just 3 years.

Velco

Mike Wiz 09-09-2010 01:39 PM

I always wondered why O.S. and all the other big engine manufacturers didn't at least cash in on their name and brand loyal customers by offering electric power systems. I mean heck, they don't even have to make them themselves. I believe Hacker outrunners (maybe not the new F3A outrunners) are manufactured by someone else.

JeffH 09-09-2010 01:44 PM

I say within a year.
What is their bread and butter? Do they do something other than RC engines?

TonyF 09-09-2010 01:46 PM

Helicopter engines and sport motors far out sell the motors for F3A. And it will only get worse for them as more are switching to electric in pattern.

tuny 09-09-2010 02:33 PM

remember Japan market alone is about 500 pilots (just in competition, more overall), and they dont like the electrics there

Mastertech 09-09-2010 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: tuny

remember Japan market alone is about 500 pilots (just in competition, more overall), and they dont like the electrics there
Yet

Passport1 09-09-2010 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: apereira

I've been noticing the increased amount of dead sticks on electrics, on the Euros there were two against none on the YS. YS have a lot of users maybe more than certain brands of electrics. What would happen if Mayr would have a dead stick on the finals instead of the prelims??

The CDI was Yamada's response to electrics.
Your statement about the deadsticks sort of made me smile. I am almost certain the Euros were similiar to our nationals as far as the ratio goes of Glo to Electric. Of course there is going to be more deadsticks when the percentage of competition rounds flown verses problems gets up to the numbers they are at now. Either way I need to tell a funny story that goes right along with this .

Last weekend here in Ar. I was at a contest. After the first two rounds it was over mathematically but we flew one more anyway. I offered my plane to Daniel Neita in exchange for his for this last round and he agreed. Pease keep in mind he has never flown an electric and I have not flown a YS for 7 years. (BTW he flies mode 1 and I mode 2) Anyway we made the program swaps and he flew my borrowed plane (Plety Powered) and I flew his. Daniel won the round by a huge amount over Marcelo, and I was 5th. Daniel in the past has had one of the most awesome running YS cdi´s I have ever seen, however on this gorgous day it just happened to shut off cold in the figure 9 going straight up WFO.

Until that point was it equal,absolutely.

C

apereira 09-09-2010 07:50 PM

I agree that Daniel has some of the smoothest running YS, I say that because I learned the way he does that along with Claudio(good friend of his) as well as he is a great pilot, will you be the one to make him change the Zeques?

Is there something better than the smoke trail of a YS on a perfectly executed maneuver on a perfect day?

Alejandro P.

Derek.Koopowitz 09-11-2010 12:33 AM

ORIGINAL: JeffH

I say within a year.
What is their bread and butter? Do they do something other than RC engines?
Heli motors are YS's bread and butter...

apereira 09-11-2010 08:52 AM

YS are the most powerful glow engines on the market, no question about it, and they are used not only on F3A, as Derek said, they are also on top of the Heli world, one thing is for sure, electric is easier as it needs less knowledge to operate, it is more reliable for the non experience pilots, but pilots who fly YS and really "know" how to set up the engines will rarely go to electric I think, at least me and my team mate, we just love the power, the sound and the smoke trail, I don't care if the smoke trail shows your defects, must judges will know with or without smoke, one thing is for sure, I am convinced Quique would place higher if would flown with YS in Portugal, his flights in the finals were better than the 7th he got, and when you see the glow engines drawing the figures in a blue sky.... well, no comparison, I think some maneuver looked perfectly execute but the aircraft presentation was kind of dull.

Most of us can go electric whenever we want, and we stay YS for a reason.

A friend of mine sent me the list of motors used on the US Nationals, he said "look at how many electrics" I said "so?", he said he wanted me show me the current trend, to what I responded "the trend is, if someone wants to be world champion, he needs to get a YS!!, statistics prove me right so far.

Things to consider, we will see how this goes in the US, where most people fly electric, and the second, I never heard of anybody loosing properties to a YS engine.

Happy flights.

Passport1 09-11-2010 10:48 AM

[/quote]
YS are the most powerful glow engines on the market, no question about it, and they are used not only on F3A, as Derek said, they are also on top of the Heli world

I think the heli worlds was won with electric as was the US nats and others

Also CPLR could win with any combo he used he is that good. His engine/motor choice has little or nothing to do with that. If I am not mistaken he would of won in 07 at the worlds if he would of flown all of the finals rounds as well. Not sure I wasn´t there but thats what everyone told me.

Anyhow I have never argued they are not the best glo motors as everyone knows they are. When they run correctly they are awesome and equal in every way to the best electric. As far as the properties thing goes I agree but you also need to include DA-200´s in there as that was the motor in the plane that I lost charging from a faulty power supply.

C

apereira 09-11-2010 11:54 AM

That was a shame Chip, that's bad luck with your house, sorry for that. I just wanted to make a point as many people has suffered from LiPo related accidents and the equipment involved.

On the worlds in Argentina, I'll tell you what I think in Colombia. Did Roberto contacted you yet?

Regards

Passport1 09-11-2010 03:31 PM

ORIGINAL: apereira

That was a shame Chip, that's bad luck with your house, sorry for that. I just wanted to make a point as many people has suffered from LiPo related accidents and the equipment involved.

On the worlds in Argentina, I'll tell you what I think in Colombia. Did Roberto contacted you yet?

Regards
I would love to be there to meet all of you guys but it looks like it will have to be another time. I have waited for contact for months now and due to my new business I just don´t think I will be able to make it. I did finally hear from someone today but it was not what I had been told it would be. I wish you guys the best of luck and hope to see you soon.

C

Nickolas 09-11-2010 05:10 PM

I had the chance to talk with CPLR about power plants in F3A. His statement was: 'F3A is thermal and not electric' so I doubt that CPLR will ever change as long as he is a Champion in F3A.

In July I partcipated in a competition where it was the first time I flew with so much wind. It should have been around 6 bft or more. I fly glow, in this contest 4-5 more fellows were flying YS also, the rest 35 or more participants were electric. Well in pretty rough and turbulent conditions like these, electrics did have the advantage. In the past YS had it but not any more, the technology of LiPos and e-motors has been advanced. For example in the top of the humpty bump I thought my plane was in a harrier, the electric guys bumped the throttle and did it very easily and in constant speed. Gernot Bruckmann was flying on 8S with AXI and still had more power than YS.

May be the new powerplants such as the 175 CDI with 20x10 prop could emulate this power will see...

Top guys like Chip, CPLR, QQ can win with any type of setup, but the average flyer or lower like my self can get some advantage from electric models in terms of reliability, maintenance and power.

That's my piece of cake.
Rgrds,
Nikos

Shahid 09-21-2010 09:11 AM

I'm surprised this is even being debated, choice of power plant is largely a trivial matter once you've obtained enough power. Be it YS, or electric, two stroke or petrol...or rubber power.

To stand squarely in one camp, is probably more to do with loyalty, nostalgia or otherwise than hard cold fact. The fact for me remains, and always will be, it's the pilot flying the plane that get's the points. Thumbs are what do the work, the powerplant is just another tool used to get there. Anything more than that means your judges need looking into! Common sense really [&:]