Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Pylon Racing
 6S or 8S on a Scorpion motor? >

6S or 8S on a Scorpion motor?

Notices
Electric Pylon Racing Discuss all aspects of electric pylon racing here.

6S or 8S on a Scorpion motor?

Old 02-18-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6S or 8S on a Scorpion motor?

Hi all

I want to purchase a Scorpion motor for a high speed plane. I thought I ask the question here in the pylon racer section of the forum as you guys probably know all about getting
the max. speed out of a setup.

The plane weighs about 2.5kg (not sure yet as I don not know which motor and therefore LiPo to use) and has a wing span of 122cm. It is normally flown with an OS91FX or OS91VF ducted fan with a 10x10 prop.
I want to convert it to electric.

I narrowed my search for a suitable motor down to

Scorpion HK4020-1390 kv1390 1890Watt 90A 6sLiPo
Scorpion HK4020-1100 kv1100 1640Watt 78A 6sLiPo (but I have read that you can use this one with 8s)

Which of these motors would you use, the 1390 on 6s or the 1100 on 8s (can you use 8s on this motor?)

My gut feeling tells me that if I can run the 4020-1100 on 8s that this would be the better choice as it will pull less Amps and gives me more revs. Am I right?
Both should produce more than enough Watt for the plane.
Btw, what prop would you recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ulrich

Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 6S or 8S on a Scorpion motor?

Have you tried the Scorpion Cal program. It can give you some baseline information that might help in the selection of a motor/prop combo to give you the performance you are seeking. You can actually select the motor, #cell battery, and prop. Once the information is inputted into the program, it will show current draw (Amps), watts, grams of thrust, motor temp, etc. I found the program to be quite helpful in eliminating a lot of guess work. Good luck!