Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Direct Drive hummingbird

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Direct Drive hummingbird

Old 12-09-2003, 11:37 PM
scimitar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct Drive hummingbird

Is there some sort of trick putting the small orange prop onto the tail motor shaft??? some sort of tool or trick? just feel like im gonna break this motor-- im using the high performance long one if that makes any difference ... HELP
Old 12-10-2003, 01:22 AM
AtomHeartMother

Default RE: Direct Drive hummingbird

Tricky...isn't it ?
The motor shaft is 1.5mm and the id of the prop hub hole is 1mm. So you have a .5mm stretch to get the prop on. One thing that helps is a #11 exacto blade to open the hub up just a bit. Don't do anything more than make the opening concave. If you over do it the prop will be too loose.
I use your garden variety channel lock pliers to mount mine. Sounds like overkill I know but it is fast and very easy.
Open the locks up to the size you need to get one end of the plier on the endbell and the other end on the prop and shaft. The motor normally has a capaciter covering the endbell.... Very carefully pry the capacitor away from the endbell so you can get the pliers on the endbell. Carefully close the pliers pushing the prop right on to the desired depth. Do it a couple times and it goes really easy. The idea being to support that end of the motor shaft as you press the prop on. If you don't you can actually pop the endbell right out of the can basically ruining the motor. I've never been able to get and endbell back on one of these motors. Leave the capaciter standing out...won't hurt a thing. If you keep bending it back and forth to change props it will eventually break off. Look carefully for split hubs on these little props. When they fly loose believe it or not they're pretty potent at close range.
If you over do it and press the prop hard against the can, just use the exacto blade to pry it away from the can....just a little. Then use a small flat tip screw driver to pry it away more. If you push too hard with the exacto, you may break it...that's why I say just get it started with that then finish with the screwdriver. Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:43 AM
moy71

place the prop in boiling water for approx 1 minute. this will soften the prop enough so you can simply push it in the shaft no sweat.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:46 PM
smokingcrater

place the prop in boiling water for approx 1 minute. this will soften the prop enough so you can simply push it in the shaft no sweat.
and order a large enough supply of props, they are cheap! I'm going to have to try this one, I've had problems with the hubs developing a white stress line and splitting soon after.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:18 PM
scimitar

i get mine from helihobby- there about 6 bucks a peice-- know of any place i can get them cheaper or in bulk?
Old 12-10-2003, 06:25 PM
tomflier

I didn't know HH sold them...can't find them but www.aeromicro.com has them for $ .85

HH is really ripping you off if they are charging $ 6.00 !

tomflier
Old 12-10-2003, 06:37 PM
scimitar

O WOW- thats some SH&*T ! i couldv bought so many of these things-but felt horrible spending 6 bucks over and over for this tiny orange prop.. HH usually has good prices- but man they make a nice mark up on that one!!! - they have it under HB upgrades ;( wich one would you reccomend on that website- they have a great selection of them..im gonna order 100 of these things..LOL
Old 12-10-2003, 06:38 PM
scimitar

Also- have you ordered from those guys before? Reputable company?? Thanks for the link too!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 06:46 PM
tomflier

Nope...Haven't ordered from them although...
I have a friend that has ordered from their and he didn't say any problems so I assume they have good service.

If you are using the 50X motor then you will want the 3x2 prop.

tomflier
Old 12-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Gazoo

Also remember to mount the prop with the lettering that is on the prop facing the motor.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:45 PM
smokingcrater

I recently ordered over $350 in a couple of orders from aeromicro, great service. (mini IFO and equipment for it, astro 10 for my pic, phoenix controller, props, batteries... this shopping trip started out with me going to buy JUST some $.89 props!!!) [8D]
Old 12-11-2003, 08:20 PM
telemark07

and just for an extra here is a way that you can mount the DD tail using the Heat sink from GWS as a holder.

I drilled a 4mm hole in the HS and mounted the boom directly into the Heat sink. for the tail support I used a 1mm wire and bent it to fit into the boom part of the way along it. here are some pics..
Cheers Tele
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63483.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	81599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34298.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	81600  
Old 12-12-2003, 01:49 AM
avance_x

or try to make this one yourself..

Old 12-12-2003, 03:39 AM
telemark07

Nice avance X ..how did you make this one?

Tele
Old 12-12-2003, 04:26 AM
CaptinCrash

Hi,
I copied Telemark07 heatsink direct drive, its great, thanks for that one. I posted photos a while back.
I have just received a Kokam 1500mAh lithium 7.4v battery pack. Well worth every penny (£28 + £70 charger).
The difference in the power is astounding. The only draw back is the 1v drop in voltage means the tail can not be trimmed out, but I will be working on reducing the blade pitch to reduce the torque.

I like the tail skid, how was that made?

Fred
Old 12-12-2003, 07:11 PM
avance_x

The material is a hard nylon block which I spotted somewhere and I just used my carving skills with the use of dremel/hobby knife

BTW, I have other stuff that you can use/coy for your mods
[link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102540&perpage=15&pagenumber=2]here[/link]
Old 12-12-2003, 07:39 PM
khmoe

the prop. is 1$ at hellihobby now. i ordre 5 sice my prop. hit the wall and one blade fell off.

I only used force to get the prop on, and that worked for me, until i hit the wall
Old 12-12-2003, 07:53 PM
tomflier

Very glad that Helihobby lowered the price by $5

tomflier