Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
 Feda Mini Dragonfly >

Feda Mini Dragonfly

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Feda Mini Dragonfly

Old 01-13-2004, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feda Mini Dragonfly

I just bought a Feda Mini-Dragonfly a few weeks agoo,
has anyone sucessfully made this thing fly stable?

The problem I am having, is it just doesn't seem to have enough cyclic authority.
Especially forward, she likes to tip backward toward the tail, and once it does, its all over.

Anyone have any ideas, could this be a balance issue (fuselage or blades).

Could it be that the flybar paddles are not at the right angle to give correct gyroscopic input to the main blades?
What angle should they be?

Any ideas or comments would be great.

I am new to electrics, but not Helis.
I flew a Kyosho Concept 30 so much I wore it out.

Am I just used to a flying REAL rotor head?
Old 01-13-2004, 06:42 PM

Default RE: Feda Mini Dragonfly

Hello,

Have you tried to slide the battery pack a little bit to the front of the Heli?
Old 01-13-2004, 07:51 PM

I have a dragonfly too, and I have yet to make what I call a successful flight. Get off the ground for more then 5 seconds and land without crashing. I have replaced so many parts that I bought a bare-bones hummingbird and more the electronics over.

The problem I have now, is I think my gyro is fried. Whenever I throttle up, the tail rotor goes full speed. It stays this way until I tap the gyro. Then it stops, but as I increase the throttle again, it starts all over. I'm about to buy a new receiver, gyro, and mixer. Each seperate. Right now I have the 3 in 1 headache board.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:58 PM

Headspeed and blade conning is always an issue with these little birds. A head stiffener would help. Also increasing the headspeed would help. You can do this by trimming the chord of the blades down and running a larger pinion. Research before you try this though. It's important to remember to add throttle if you want more cyclic authority. I fly airplanes as well and it goes against my nature to do this, but I had to break myself of that habit. Throttle is our friend...
Joesphcm, never tap a gyro to check for bugs. Gyros do not like vibration or shock. The piezo crystal could get damaged. When you tap the gyro you're "confusing" it. Be certain your heli doesn't have bad vibes thru inbalanced blades/paddles...out of track..etc. Watch the gear legs in flight. If they shake alot or look even blurry...then you have bad vibrations. The gyro feels that vibration as well and will not operate properly. Seperate components are always better. I'd spring for a heading hold gyro if you think you're really gonna stick with it. They're expensive, but make learning so much easier.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:30 PM

Hi MovingLite

I too have Mini DragonFly (less than 2 week old) but mine from GWS. I think both are the same.

Ok.. I too still haven't successfully make it to hover yet. So if u want to ignore my idea, go ahead. About always going back, do like Rayan said, move the batteries to the front a bit. To do a quick check whether both head and tail are balance in the See-Saw, u move the paddle bar align to the tail. Then hold the paddle bar with your finger. if either Tail or Head is more heavy, it will tilted to that side. If the tail is heavy, move the batteries to the front. Take note that it has a disadvantages because if u move the batt. way too much to the end, u may not able to put back the canopy. I fly without the canopy.

For those who bought barebone Hummingbird to replace Dragonfly, can u tell me whether Hummingbird are more stable (also more align) than Dragonfly? I'm thinking of replacing my Dragonfly also.

Hornet
Old 01-14-2004, 12:27 AM

I got myself one for Christmas. It flew well right out of the box. Right into the wall!!! Just kidding. I have broken main rotors and tail rotors though so I did learn to set it up. The steps are relatively simple. Balance the main blades. Here is a decent way to do it: http://www.helihobby.com/html/balancing_blades.html. I wouldn't worry to much about the paddles. Just do the main blades. Paddles should be level,that is the main thing. Then check and set the tracking. Put a small piece of visible tape on both blades at diffferent radii. Hold the heli down on a table and spin it up with the throttle. Get your eyes ( be careful) at blade level and notice if either blade is running higher than the other at full power. If one is running higher than the other, twist the leading edge of the higher blade downward. You may have to give it a good twist. Hold the blade at the root and tip when you do it. When both pieces of tape appear to be on the same horizontal plane at full power, the tracking is set. At that point you ought to be in decent shape. Next, if it takes more than 50% throttle to lift off, twist the leading edge of each blade downward as equally as possible. For example, twist it down 90 degrees for the same count, 1,2,3 done.

The gyro should do a good job of keeping the nose straight during throttle up. You may need to put in some right rudder as you pop it up. If it rotates nose left more than you like you can slightly increase the gyro gain using the adjusting screw or add some pitch to the tail rotor by twisting like I described above (less required). It should be decently balanced front/back and left/right from the factory. Hang (hold it) it from the fly bars and see that the landing gear is horizontal to the table front to back and left to right. You might need to add a little weight to get it flat but not much. I can fly mine with the stock 700 MaH and with some 750 MaH relapcements that are slightly longer (aft CG) without and adjustments.

If you still have problems after this then write us back.

Good luck
Old 01-14-2004, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got one of these for christmas and am loving it. I had a friend of mine balance the blades which made a big difference. I broke one main blade and a tail rotor blade. A good tip is to put aluminium tape on the last few inches of the main blades. I found that my blade (and all my friends broken blades) cracked along the span. Putting the tape on adds some strength. Since then I have hammered my heli a few times and so far no broken blades.
I also thought that I did not have enough cyclic control. After trimming the heli and a bit of practice I have found the available control to be fine.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:13 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone.
Yesterday I think I FINALLY figured out what was going on.
Not sure when the hell it happened, but there is a broken peice of plastic on the body of the heli.

The peice that is broken is the one that keeps the cyclic from "twisting" when you add servo input.
So everytime you add right aileron, it also was adding backward cyclic, weird, but I think that is it.

I like this heli, parts are CHEAP!!!
The entire body for this heli is only 15 bucks from trendtimes.com.

Thanks again everyone! Keep those rotors -A- turnin'!
Old 01-14-2004, 02:20 PM
My Feedback: (58)

Hello Josephcm,

My Feda Dragonfly tail's motor sometime goes to full speed too, but all I have to do is turn off and turn it back on. Everything should be normal after that.

Blade balancing should be done at low speed and high speed. I found my blade unbalanced at full throttle, but very stable at hovering speed. I had tied the blade holder and used the blade stiffener and everything solved. I hope these hints would help yall.

MTDV