Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Corona HELP!

Old 01-13-2004, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corona HELP!

Hi! I have a lite machines corona 120 electric:
Hitec HS-81 Servos
GY401 Gyro
Futaba T6XH TX

my tail is just way too out of control. through trimming and servo adjustment & monor Tx adjustment i cant get the thing straight- it spins one way really fast- and if i correct via Tx the other way-- the heli will spin the other way fast out of control... Where do i begin? Iv only worked with gws servos and never had a heli with a tail rotor that moved... Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2004, 05:45 PM

Default RE: Corona HELP!

I had a Corona and I'm not quite sure what to tell you. If you had said the heli spun only one way uncontrollably I'd say the gyro was reversed. I guess what I'd suggest first is eliminate the gyro and see if you can trim the tail somewhat that way. Center stick you should have a positive pitch on the tail. Going one way should increase the positive pitch and other way should go to about zero pitch.

If you can trim it somewhat then re-connect the gyro. If it won't work with the gyro then you have a gyro problem or gyro setup problem.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 01-13-2004, 06:17 PM

can you detail about the positive pitch in lamens terms not very familiar with heli term, just fly em
Old 01-13-2004, 07:17 PM

On the Corona the tail rotor is on the left side of the tail boom and the thrust required to counter the main rotor torque is also to the left, away from the boom. I don't remember which direction the tail rotor spins but regardless, a positive pitch on the tail rotor is going to be required to give a thrust to the left. If you decrease the pitch on the tail rotor the main rotor torque will take over and spin the tail to the left. More tail pitch and the tail goes to the right. This configuration is known as a pusher. Not all heli's use the same configuration.

My Hornet for example also has the tail rotor on the left side of the tail boom. However the main rotor spins the opposite way, CW. That means that the tail rotor has to push air to the right, towards the boom. This is know as a tractor. If the tail rotor on my Hornet was on the right side of the boom, it would still need to push air to the right in which case it would be a pusher. This is what determines whether you need positive pitch or negative pitch to hold the tail boom against the torque. Pusher configurations are more common. It's more efficient to push air away from the tail instead of across it because you get more turbulence when the air is forced over the boom. Why they put the tail rotor on the left of my Hornet is beyond me.

What it boils down to is determining what direction the thrust from the tail rotor has to be to keep the heli from spinning due to the torque.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 01-13-2004, 07:31 PM

just seems like i when i correct by TX its so sensitive - you familiar with Futaba T6XH TX - any way to make it less sensitive......, maybe? O- and i unplugged the gyro and had same experience- tail way out of control...this point to anything?
Old 01-13-2004, 08:05 PM

It sounds like it's just too sensitive. I believe the T6XH has endpoint adjustment (ATV). Try reducing the total travel and see if that helps.

Regards,

Mike
Old 01-13-2004, 09:22 PM

never quite knew what to do with the sensitivity wire from gyro- its plugged into receiver- could this be part of the cause? and does atv need to be even on both sides like 67/67 ?
Old 01-13-2004, 09:53 PM

the squarish part of the blades where they meet eachother should be lined up right?
Old 01-15-2004, 08:44 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Scimatar,

401's are flat mounted with the GY401 label on top, sticky part on the bottom.
Sounds like you may be sensing the wrong axis.

Cubby
Old 01-15-2004, 08:47 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry for the miss spell of "Scimitar"

Cubby
Old 01-15-2004, 09:31 AM

ORIGINAL: scimitar

never quite knew what to do with the sensitivity wire from gyro- its plugged into receiver- could this be part of the cause? and does atv need to be even on both sides like 67/67 ?
The 401 is told by a channel from your Tx what gain to use (and whether AVCS). Assuming your radio has a rotary control channel (probably used for flaps in aero functions) then plug the control channel from the 401 into the receiver channel that this is controlling (to make sure it is controlled as you expect try plugging a servo into the channel first and rotate the knob on the Tx to verify operation - then replace this with the gyro control signal connection.

Cliff