Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

humming bird vs aerohawk

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

humming bird vs aerohawk

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 12:50 PM
ny102

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default humming bird vs aerohawk

which one of this heli is the best????? quality??? upgrade part?? 3d capable??value for money??[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36545.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	93180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12440.gif
Views:	11
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	93181  
Old 01-22-2004, 02:46 PM
xxguitarist

Default RE: humming bird vs aerohawk

as of now, i dont believe you can get collective pitch for hummingbird- so 3D is out, however they are making a cp hummingbird soon. i dont know about the aerohawks situation for cp
Old 01-22-2004, 03:12 PM
-Stevo-

At the AMA convention a few weeks ago I talked to the Century rep, acording to him the colective pitch head for the humming bird (actually it will be a whole new frame, not just a new head) will be out in a few months. If I remember right I think the exact month was May, but I could be wrong. Also, the [link=http://www.centuryheli.com/products/helikits/electric.html]Century Website[/link] list the helio as "Comming Soon".

Name:	Bz79057.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	93212  
Old 01-22-2004, 11:55 PM
helisport1

Did u make that head (one in the photo)

or, where did u get that conversion?----------what parts do I need I have the stock HB v.2 with JR Radio system.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:09 PM
flyingchaos

ny102,

I have a dragonfly(pretty much a copy hummingbird). The reason why I bought the dragonfly was that it shares alot of upgrade and oem parts as the hummingbird. At helihobby,

http://www.helihobby.com/html/hummingbird_upgrades.html

you can get a collective upgrade for doing 3d.
It is not the traditional collective mixing you see on larger birds, but its the ccpm. You'll NEED a heli radio capable of cyclic mixing.

Don't want to discourage you, but a heli radio with these capabilities will easily cost > $200, and the ccpm head is about 200 bucks.....wheew, minus well get a nitro CP heli!

I've not flown or seen the aerohawk in person, so I cannot comment on flyabilityand stability.
I can say that I have not seen a CP upgrade for the aerohawk.

My dragonfly flies well and I have not burnt any of the motors yet...I'm way over 20 flights on nimh.
Alot of people here have had motor problems and lift problems, but they may have an overweight heli or unbalanced untracked blades.

Hope this helps...either way you go, it'll be fun!
Old 01-24-2004, 12:54 AM
-Stevo-

Nope, the head is from Century Helicopters, it's not due out for a few months yet. Keep an eye on their website, and on rcuniverse, I'm sure when it is out eveyone intrested in it will know about it. As for the radio requirements, I have no idea. I'm just getting into helis myself (been flying fixed wing for over 12 years), but I'm sure all that will be covered in the release too.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:17 AM
ny102

i've read at other forum said the best micro heli is aerohawk.. i'm getting confuse to choose which one.

[sm=confused.gif]http://www.rotory.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=MINI1&Number=22667&page=0&view=expanded&sb=7&o=&fpart=1
Old 01-24-2004, 01:10 PM
gordongoly

I'm going to upgrade my Aero Hawk with the Hornet CP upgrade avalileble at www.hobby-lobby.com
And it's just the same as the head on helihobby but the hornet head is made from plastic and from helihobby from steal ore something
the hornet CP head is just $85!![sm=tongue.gif]
Old 01-24-2004, 02:06 PM
ny102

is it fit????let us know how it perform...
Old 01-24-2004, 07:36 PM
r_elliott

ORIGINAL: gordongoly

I'm going to upgrade my Aero Hawk with the Hornet CP upgrade avalileble at www.hobby-lobby.com
And it's just the same as the head on helihobby but the hornet head is made from plastic and from helihobby from steal ore something
Please report back on the upgrade. Also pictures would help

Robert Elliott
Old 01-24-2004, 09:51 PM
randii

ORIGINAL: ny102
is it fit????let us know how it perform...
What's to fit? Both have 3mm rotor masts and interchangeable control balls. IMHO, upgrading the Aerohawk to the collective head would be VERY similar to upgrading the Hornet... which is not exactly simple in and of itself: http://rcgroups.com/links/index.php?...at=198&id=4071

HobbyLobby does have a great price - $85: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hornet-ac...htm#Collective
Wish they had a setup that didn't require a 120-degree CCPM setup...

Here's a really great article that discusses the various ways of varying pitch, as well as the differences between 90- and 120-degree setups.
http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/ccpm.htm
(I have seen this excellent article published a few places on the web without attribution -- wish I knew who wrote it!)

Randii
Old 01-25-2004, 06:48 AM
gordongoly

I buy the Hornet CP head later, first I need to buy the Hitec Eclipse 7 channel transmitter cause you can't fly the Hornet CP head with the simple 4 channel transmitter that was include with the Aero Hawk package. I'm just 14 and with the money I get with my birthday I can buy the TX (15 march)
I let you know when I have the head[sm=thumbup.gif]

Gordon
Old 01-25-2004, 07:55 AM
telemark07

the hornet CP head is just $85!![sm=tongue.gif]
dont do it with your aerohawk frame you will not have enough torque to get the bird off the ground and you will burn out the motor.
I have tried and it dosent work!! ..I ended up getting a hornet frame and main gear as well and built a hornet with a DD tail ...that works great!!

but dont try and upgrade the aerohawk the gear ratio isnt there for CP..even with a brushless motor.

tele

here is pic of the hornet with DD tail and with the set of home made blades that I made...they give me better times with only two cells ( about 12min) compared to 9 min with the origional ones.
cheers

Name:	Zx72535.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	94003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33591.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	94004  
Old 01-25-2004, 01:30 PM
randii

ORIGINAL: telemark07
dont do it with your aerohawk frame you will not have enough torque to get the bird off the ground and you will burn out the motor.
I have tried and it dosent work!! ...but dont try and upgrade the aerohawk the gear ratio isnt there for CP..even with a brushless motor.
Did you try changing the gear ratio on the Aerohawk? The big gear is a tight fit in the 'Hawk's frame, but there's a lot of adustment available on the pinion... other than that, these 'birds have similar torque characteristics, and you can always swap motors if you hanker for more/different power.

Randii
Old 01-26-2004, 01:09 AM
gordongoly

I have a Acro280bb motor and a 2 cell 1200 lithium pack, and I know you can upgrade the hummginbird with the hornet CP head
[link=http://www.helihobby.com/html/hummingbird_ccpm.html]take a look here[/link] so why not a aero hawk?
Old 01-26-2004, 06:31 AM
telemark07

the size of the aerohawk main gear is quite a bit smaller then the fedas. the aerohawk main gear ia about 4.3cm in dia the fedas is 6.2cm in dia and the hornets is 7.3cm in size. That gives you a fair indication of the torque differnece

To answer the other question I tried several differnet motors from Himax to 370 GWS motor. the GWS burnt out in about 10 sec with the adding of pitch ..( quite spectacular!!) and the Himax would not get the head speed up enough ..esp with pitch added. using even a 8 tooth pinion!

so go a head and try it you may be able to do somthing I have not been about to. But I have tried everything that I know ...good luck

I am about to try the FBL head with the feda frame..but waiting for the shop to reopen to get the servo ( I am one short ) ...chinese new year and all

cheers Tele

I have a Acro280bb motor and a 2 cell 1200 lithium pack, and I know you can upgrade the hummginbird with the hornet CP head
[link=http://www.helihobby.com/html/hummingbird_ccpm.html]take a look here[/link] so why not a aero hawk?
Old 01-26-2004, 02:43 PM
gordongoly

Thanks, but helihobby said that very minor adjustments are required for putting the head on the Aero Hawk but you need the Titanium Shaft HH2200 to let it fit. the piccolo is about the same as the Aero Hawk. take a look [link=http://www.helihobby.com/html/ccpm_piccolo.html]here[/link] for the piccolo with the CP head (how to setup)
Old 01-26-2004, 02:45 PM
gordongoly

Thanks for al your advice
Old 01-26-2004, 02:56 PM
randii

ORIGINAL: telemark07
the size of the aerohawk main gear is quite a bit smaller then the fedas. the aerohawk main gear ia about 4.3cm in dia the fedas is 6.2cm in dia and the hornets is 7.3cm in size. That gives you a fair indication of the torque differnece.
Does anyone have the same numbers for the Pico? I was looking at a badly crashed HB at my LHS (a serious SPLAT, with fairing, frame, landing gear, airtronics, and main motor balled up pretty well from *gulp* flying into the grille of a moving car!) and noting the difference in gear size. I was kind of surprised to see that difference, since most mini-helis are so similar, and parts are often interchangeable. Initially, I was thinking that tooth count was the critical element, but now that you mention it, the length of lever (tooth to axle dimension) has gotta have some play, as well.

Swapping a HB main gear into a 'hawk would require some creativity at the back of the frame where the rear landing gear supports mount... up front, there does appear to be enough room to scoot the motor forward if you extend the motor slot. Moving bits and pieces that much would certainlly require some creative balancing, but the battery is handy movable ballast.

Thanks for the real-world feedback, Telemark! There's all too few first-hand details available on these Aerohawks, and way too many undetailed opinions, making it very hard to suss out information/misinformation.

FWIW, I *do* think that collective pitch is attainable on the Aerohawk, but it'll take some creativity, and likely a pretty good budget. Let's face it, these small birds can run some pretty big dollars, especially as you start pushing the envelope with trial and error. But that's half the fun of the hobby, IMHO.

Randii
Old 01-26-2004, 11:00 PM
skater_719
My Feedback: (4)

i would get a hummingbird mostly becuz i have one and i like it and i have heard to many good comments on the aerohawk.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:01 AM
telemark07

I to beleive that ity may be possible to get a CP on a aerohawk ..... ( they have done it with a poccolo pro) but the cost and the extras involved you would beter of making the Hornet that I have made. with a IPS tail motor. the only extra components that you will need is a main gear , frame and 7mm Al shaft ( about $1.5 from LHS) The final cost of mine with HH gyro, receiver, servos motors ( everything on the bird) ...just a bit over $250 usd! complete!

I did notice that the main gear on the CP conversion on heli hobby is a bigger main gear then the stock ...( the motor is pushed all the way to the front) and a there is a nice BL motor sitting there too...wouldnt mind that BL on in mine!

but I would be interested to see how any one goes in trying this conversion esp the fligh char' of the bird
Keep up posted

Cheers

tele
Old 01-27-2004, 10:34 AM
gordongoly

telemark07, what radio do you use. I was thinking of buying a Hitec Eclipse 7
what do you advice? (not to expensive, under $230)
Old 01-27-2004, 08:20 PM
ny102

HB still no stock at my local rep.. keep waiting.....and still waiting
Old 01-28-2004, 04:36 AM
telemark07

to be honest ..get the best radio that you can buy...I got a GWS first 4ch ..then withing about 3 months wanted to do more so I was recomended the 6XHS futaba whcih set me back about $215 usd. but it was very difficult to understand in itys functions so I ended up getting a 9CHP futaba ..i got the whole package as I had a nitro bird that I was setting up but they can sell the TX alone here for about $290usd ish and add about another 10 for postage and you have one of the best radios that you can get and will almost never grow out of. and its easy to use!!!!!!! esp for Cp heli's ..... but if you have only FP heli's stick with a cheap TX for now and get the best whan you go to CP.

the place to get the rX from here in singapore as they will seperate the kit is
http://www.singahobby.com.sg/

fredrick is great and so is johhny.

cheers
Old 01-28-2004, 09:21 AM
gordongoly

ok, and what do you think about this CP upgrade. with this one I don't need a new transmitter and it cost's about $90. do you think that it will fly the same as with the Hornet CP kit?

Thanks for all your answers [sm=wink.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.