Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Fix those broken Aerohawk Blades!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Fix those broken Aerohawk Blades!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 06:17 PM
techmed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix those broken Aerohawk Blades!

This thread was started as trying to be helpful in repairing your Aewrohawk Blades. But if it is done incorrectly, it could be very dangerous. So I decided to edit and remove this post.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:25 PM
MUGGA

Default RE: Fix those broken Aerohawk Blades!

I'll try that I've got two sets of of broken blades. your right about CA it dosn't hold for long. I've used fiberglass on one set it flies but the extra drag is hard on the tail(so are the HB long blades, cut off 3cm off the tips and they'er good to go) I'll give it a shot . thanks
Old 03-01-2004, 07:57 PM
dragnaflyer

Are you absolutely SURE you wanna do that??????????First of all,
CA - Cynoacrylic is VERY DANGEROUS STUFF TO HEAT! When heated, it produces cyanide gas (yup, the same stuff they use in gas chambers...unpleasant....it'll kill ya!) Secondly, repairing something like a rotor blade regardless of how small is taking a huge risk. Even small blades, given the velocity that the blade tips will attain when operating at flight speeds are extremely dangerous when they separate.You'll notice I said "when" not "if"..they will fail, sooner or later and probably sooner. Not only will you sustain significant damage to your heli, you will likely damage whatever the broken blade hits. If you're lucky, it'll it something inanimate. If you're unlucky, it'll it you, a family member, or a pet and this is one of those things your Mom was referring to when she used to say "YOU COULD PUT SOMEONES EYE OUT WITH THAT!!" She's right, you could!

Personally, I would NEVER, EVER try to reassemble or repair a blade that was broken, regardless of how long the damge grounded me for. The risks are just too great. Order two sets of blades so you have spares, and as soon as you break one, order more. Be safe!
my 2 cents
Wayne
Old 03-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Mini Boy

TECHMED, MUGGA !!!!!

It's not like me to butt in with my twenty cents worth,

BUT, Dragonflyer is VERY CORRECT !!

It is a VERY BAD idea to attempt to repair heli main rotor blades, as it is equally bad to repair tail rotor blades, wooden prop blades for a free flight airplane, or for that matter ANY part of a rotating assembly that could conceivably come apart and send wayward pieces flying away at a hundred miles an hour!!!!

This is a VERY dangerous situation, and you really need to heed dragnaflyer's advice .... as well as many others .... have some spare parts around, and throw the broken ones away, before someone gets killed!!!!!!!

My twenty two cents worth,

Russ
Old 03-01-2004, 08:57 PM
helisfreak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 09:20 PM
edge_fanatic
My Feedback: (4)

Folks,

It is generally considered quite dangerous to repair heli blades...Please don't do it...

Unbalanced blades throw the heli off balance with each revolution...Also, the "fixed" blade can come apart and hit someone at the field...

Go out and buy new ones...
Old 03-01-2004, 11:28 PM
techcoast

I don't think there can be too many posts on how dangerous it is to "repair" main blades.

I know you think you're saving a couple of bucks.. but it could very easily cost you a LOT more!!

Kids, don't try this at home!! Adults, don't try this at home!!! It's just not worth it. Be patient, try alternate blades if your that desperate!! (i.e. HB blades)
Old 03-01-2004, 11:51 PM
helisfreak

Try to fly with 1 blade... hahahaa... j/k... sorry.. im a heli freak..

SOMEONE PLEASE CALL THE POLICE....
Old 03-02-2004, 09:10 AM
techmed

Even though this procedure worked very well for me, I understand all of your points. This is not something that should be encouraged. I spent a lot of time testing this procedure, so I was very excited to share it. But I do not want to be responsible if someone does it incorrectly.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:55 AM
Mini Boy

Hi Techmed:

We can understand your excitement with a successful "fix", and commend you for your desire to share it. While it might work out O.K. some of the time, sure as hell there will be a time it doesn't. Just plain too chancey!!

Some folks get so anal about this subject, that over in the Lite Machines Heli forums, they are afraid to use too harsh a cleaning solvent to get the warning labels off the main blades!!

I noticed your edit in post # 1 ...... good job.

Happy and SAFE flying,

Russ
Old 03-02-2004, 10:06 AM
helisfreak

I was just joking about "the police".... you don't have to remove it.. people should be intelligent enough to know what they're doing... Some ppeople like to risk.. some don't... their decision... I CA my aerohawk rotor head once.. and the blade shoot and stab in the dry wall .... hahahaa...
Old 03-02-2004, 10:29 AM
techmed

I agree that people need to be intelligent enough to make their own decisions, but I do not want to be the cause of someones negligence. I made a personal decision to take the risk, and it worked very well for me. Hopefully the blades will come in stock soon, and then there will be no need for this fix.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:28 PM
MUGGA

Don't worry guys I haven't killed myself yet I just wanted to say that when I've flown with repaired blades it's been outside and 20 or more feet away from me or anything else for that matter. I didn't know you guys cared about me that much thanks guys
Old 03-02-2004, 01:45 PM
tahustvedt

Think about it like this... It probably won't warn you before it snaps, and it might hit you in the eye or throat, in which case you will be disabled for life or maybe terminally wounded.

We don't want any soccer-moms screaming about how dangerous this hobby is in the papers just because someone was skimping on safety.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:43 PM
glennT

There are ways to make your own blades, like cutting plastic container or thick plastic bottle.

I also agree, reparing a broken blade is really a bad idea.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:31 PM
rozzibandit

This man speaks the truth. I learned the hard way with my first heli a raptor .30. I had a bad blade strike and it cracked them up good. So i being the unexperienced pilot i was ca glued and epoxied them together. Thinking that has to hold them. Boy was i wrong. It held for about 5 minutes, just when i was getting confident and doing a high speed pass 10 feet from me that blade just exploded apart. A big sliver of wood hit my top right forearm and i needed stitches!!! i ahve the scar to prove it. Will take pic if ya want

PLEASE DON"T REAPAIR BLADES. I'm lucky it was my arm, cause if it hit my eyes or temples i would be dead right now. Seriously take this warning. cause it WILL HAPPEN like the dude above said "When, not If"
ORIGINAL: edge_fanatic

Folks,

It is generally considered quite dangerous to repair heli blades...Please don't do it...

Unbalanced blades throw the heli off balance with each revolution...Also, the "fixed" blade can come apart and hit someone at the field...

Go out and buy new ones...
Old 03-05-2004, 11:18 AM
heli_fly

ORIGINAL: glennT

There are ways to make your own blades, like cutting plastic container or thick plastic bottle.

I also agree, reparing a broken blade is really a bad idea.
Glenn,

Can you provide any info on how to make your own blades, I have been thinking about this for a while, but haven't made an attempt yet. It seems like it should be fairly simple to make if you find the right plastic to start with.

Heli_fly
Old 03-05-2004, 11:28 AM
pgitta
My Feedback: (3)

Yes, be careful gluing those 5 gram pieces of plastic together. They could easily come off and sever you carotid artery and keep on going out the window across the street and bring down a skyscraper. Not to mention the hair it will grow on your knuckles.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:33 PM
glennT

It's indeed fairly simple to cut blades out of a bottle or bucket if you find plastic of the right curvature. Way easier than making wooden blades as you don't bother with covering, coating or tracking. The curve is there, the shape is there (stock blade), so just cut, file and sand.

Things to remember
1. Plastic bottle is a better candidate - strong, fine, even.
2. Better to have tighter curvature than stock blade, and you can make slimmer blades.
3. Blade curve makes it rigid and reduces blade coning in flight. The stock blades flex most at the tapered root. You can make your blades wider and more rounded rood.

I tried making "glass" blades once, but busted when I drilled holes in it. This mod should not be attempted on glass blades. The glass may look cool, but can't take much scratch and wear before turning ugly. I really don't have the motivation to do it again. Right now my drilled and cutdown stock blades are a dream and I have another spare set.
Old 03-06-2004, 03:41 PM
heli_fly

ORIGINAL: glennT

It's indeed fairly simple to cut blades out of a bottle or bucket if you find plastic of the right curvature. Way easier than making wooden blades as you don't bother with covering, coating or tracking. The curve is there, the shape is there (stock blade), so just cut, file and sand.
Thanks Glenn,

I have been seeing all sorts of plastic things around that I have been thinking - "hey, I could make blades out of that" but I hadn't heard anyone doing it, so I was a little reluctant thinking it must be tougher than it looks. Now that i know it isn't so bad, I'll givie it a try myself.

Thanks,
Heli_fly
Old 03-06-2004, 06:03 PM
MUGGA

Techmed I just wanted to let you know ( I'm not a 13 yr old kid that got a HB from his soccer mom on his birthday)I'm not a newbie to plastics and molding and such. I'v worked as an animator for 5 years dealing with plastics and molding and stuff of that nature. Being creative is part of who I am. Your idea worked for me but KIDS DON'T TRY THIS. FYI for those that don't have soccer mom's or that have their own insurance I found that applying a fiberglass sheet on the bottom of the wing will stop the broken part from flying away. This seems to stop all jugular injuries. Until your new blades come in of course. If you try this don't blame me.