Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Flybarless AeroHawk

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Flybarless AeroHawk

Old 03-31-2004, 08:46 PM
loopzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flybarless AeroHawk

Well, I think I am close to figuring out a flybarless AeroHawk head modification, using under $10 in readily available parts.

My prototype is just that at this moment, so no pictures, yet. Give me until the weekend and I might have it running better.

My question is, has anyone tried this before? I know it has been done on some other heli's, and Walt Ferar seems to be one of the gurus, but has any one had any luck with an AeroHawk?

With my current version, the balance is super smooth, but I can't get the servos to have smaller input. If I get 10 feet off the ground (which is no problem) and make any sort of move, I am just not fast enough to correct. Or, maybe it is my over correction that is wrong.

I am attempting this with a totally stock aerohawk.

Any input would be welcomed.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:58 PM
yukonho

Default RE: Flybarless AeroHawk

A couple of things that will help are weighted blades (reduce sensitivity due to greater inertia of the rotor disk) and smaller throws on the servos. A computer radio will help as you can turn down the throw.
Cant wait to see what you have done. Am I gonna have to get an aerohawk now too?
co
Old 05-16-2004, 12:33 AM
loopzilla

Some pictures...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24429.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	132708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23358.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	132709   Click image for larger version

Name:	In25999.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	132710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic85352.jpg
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	132711  
Old 05-16-2004, 12:34 AM
loopzilla

Last ones...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21010.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	132712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14138.jpg
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	132713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44936.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	132714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic83286.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	132715  
Old 05-16-2004, 12:48 AM
loopzilla

Ok, so what you do is take off the anti rotation bar from the head, and file another flat spot on the head at 90 degrees. This way the anti rotation bar will refit the head, but just 90 degrees from original position.

Second, drill a #60 hole through the head with the antirotation bar in it's new position for the pin to go through.

Get some DuBro balls and thread them in where the flybar used to go. I used nuts on the inside, but the plastic is probably strong enough to hold the links if you thread them in carefully.

Make some links from the plastic DuBro white ball links, plus the brass threaded inserts, plus the stock flybar links. The stock flybar links CA very well into the brass threaded inserts. You need the threaded part for ease in making the links the same length - critical. I think I had to cut everything down so it was all shorter when completed.

Snap it all in place and hold on.

Here is where I needed to go from there:

1) A better antirotation bar is necessary, preventing rotation in either direction. Walt Ferrar has one shown on his page somewhere made out of a shaft collar and two CF rods. It is weird, but I had the exact same idea then found it on his site (that guy is leagues ahead of us).

2) Less gain on the servos, if it is possible. Even with the head links on the short arms of the swashplate, plus the servo horns all the way in, it was too twitchy for me at the time. It might be better now, with more flight time under my belt.

3) Weighted blades! Have some ideas to add lead to like90 blades.

If there is interest, I'll bolt it back on and give it another go with the weighted blades.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:15 AM
Dj Kriz

Thats Great!!!!!!

Someone out there (there is other people out there too ) is actually giving it a go.
Be great if the flybarless Aerohawk can be upgraded to a CP too.

I do hope other people give this a try, be good to see what progress from would be like.

Later, Adios
Kriz
Old 10-04-2004, 11:47 AM
khmoe

Does it Work?

Is it possible to do this with a humming bird.

What type of blades so you use???
Old 10-05-2004, 09:59 AM
sghoover

Sounds really great, I can't wait to hear how it turns out. I too was wondering about making the Aerohawk into a CP. I know that there is an upgrade kit for the Piccolo to make it CP, I was wondering if the kit might be able to be altered, if needed, to make it work for an Aerohawk.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:29 AM
FlyHeli

I own both the Aerohawk and Esky HB2 CP. By Far the esky is much more difficult to fly. Both times I have tried and have crashed. Then there is the week or two before parts come in the mail. I had to totally take the Heli apart to fix it and once I connected it all together my receiver was blinking red. So I finally figured it out and got it going, then the Esky tail motor went crazy. Now I need a new tail motor and rudder. But the Aerohawk on the other hand, it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. It is a good CP Heli and I paid $81 Plus shipping for mine on Ebay. I got the Police body, but after much deliberation with the battery I took the body off. QUESTION for all Aerohawk owners. I noticed the the gear moves all the way past the main motor sometimes and is not fixed like my Esky. Is everyone else's like this??
Old 02-08-2005, 01:30 AM
FlyHeli

Sorry I meant FP HELI
Old 02-08-2005, 06:22 AM
SMaric

Search for threads about a shaft-collar

this clamps aroun the main shaft above the central CF pillar & below the swashplate
it sits on top of the upper main shaft bearing & is clamped to the shaft with a grub-screw, thus stoping the shaft from dropping
Old 02-08-2005, 05:14 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

All you need is a radio with programmable expo in it. Then just bump the expo to about 70-80%, and it should tone down its wild behavior. This way you can keep the throws the same, it will just be less sensitive.

We do this ALOT with foamy 3D indoor planes. It softens the response to make it flyable.